D&D 5E Is there even a new D&D setting?

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

The press release that was sent out said:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new setting and storyline as well as accompanying new products

The web page for the event says:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new storyline as well as accompanying new products

The word “setting” is missing from the web page, but exists in the press release. The text is the same otherwise.

I don’t know which order the two were written in, or if the latter changed, or if the former contains extra information.

Zardnaar

Legend
Dragonlance at least made alignment relevant with mechanics relating to it with moon magic.

I don't think 5E can do Dragonlance well though. It fails hard at gritty, alignment doesn't matter, and I can't see them doing a Dragonlance that can one shot a dragon.

Basically not expecting 5E DL anytime soon if ever. House ruling AD&D would be easier and more faithful to the source material IMHO. Dump THAC0 for example add in 5E skill system

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Remember that it is a game, a fantasy game at that, which is based more on mythological archetypes than in trying to simulate real-world morality. Nothing wrong with doing just that, but playing a fantasy game in a mythic manner--with evil and good, law and chaos--isn't asinine.

As for Dragonlance, I have been re-appreciating it of late, in particular its ability to stay close to vanilla D&D, but with distinctive twists. Whereas GH and FR both seemed designed as sandboxes for D&D stories to take place, Krynn was built around a specific epic tale, and thus in some ways has a more novelistic quality that makes it distinct from other D&D settings. I actually never RPGed in it, but loved the Chronicles and Legends as a kid and bought the later setting material. If WotC were to do a Dragonlance story arc or setting book, it would be quite welcome, in my view.
While I was mining it for material for my Thieves World setting based campaign, one of my players ran it more like the Dragonlance campaign was designed. Except he added a twist, he took the story plot from "The Anubis Gate" by Tim Powers and wove it in. Which we didn't learn until later. This was a very long time ago while I was stationed in Europe in the 1980's, good fun. I need to go and buy that book again for my Kindle and read it, it's been too long.

Von Ether

Legend
1. There will be more settings. In a 20-month span, we've gotten four setting books--Ravnica, Eberron Wildemount and soon Theros. This implies that not only are settings doing well for them, but we'll see more in the years to come. My guess is that we'll see one or even two a year (or maybe three every two years), perhaps alternating classic D&D settings and Magic settings, which are "new" (to D&D, and many of us) for all intents and purposes.

Which makes me wonder. The common knowledge is that one of TSR's failings had been that they put out too many settings (along with a lot of other factors as well.) Same for Deadlands as well.

Which makes me wonder. The common knowledge is that one of TSR's failings had been that they put out too many settings (along with a lot of other factors as well.) Same for Deadlands as well.

Not so much the existence of the settings, but that they tried to give a ton of support to all of them. Too much product and not enough sales of the popular stuff to cover the losses of the unpopular.

WotC could put out 20 different 5E settings, but only support a couple of them, and all can still be successful because of DMs Guild.

Mercurius

Legend

I don't think putting out too many setting was the problem as much as too much product, and not properly managing their (financial) books while doing so. 2E was ridiculous. 1995, for instance, saw the publication of about 70 books, in one form or fashion, and 1996 only a bit less. And then 1997 happened and the company was purchased by WotC.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

I'm pretty sure it was too many products in general, not specifically that they were settings.

And sure this setting track has turned out aces for WotC; Ravnica, Eberron, and Wildemount are all proving to be great sellers based on their own words. They specifically said after Ravnica's release that they were now more interested in settings; I'm sure that Ravnica's success directly led to the fast-tracking of Eberron, and the development of Theros.

Back to whether a new setting will be announced at this event; I personally doubt it, unless it's just "Hey this setting will get a book at the end of the year!" much like the Eberron announcement last year. I think the new adventure will certainly have new setting material in it (for Icewind Dale or maybe even Spelljammer) but it will still be an adventure first.

Last year we got these announcements;

1. Descent into Avernus
2. The Essentials Kit
3. Eberron book (only announced that it was coming, not a reveal of title or cover)

I think we would be lucky to get two book covers and titles announced at whatever this event is, so I find the announcement of a new setting book unlikely unless it is really just a tease. WotC likes to pace out its release announcements, I don't think that will change here; the focus will be on the new adventure.

I'd love another box though too!

Pixelllance

Explorer
As for Dragonlance, I have been re-appreciating it of late, in particular its ability to stay close to vanilla D&D, but with distinctive twists. Whereas GH and FR both seemed designed as sandboxes for D&D stories to take place, Krynn was built around a specific epic tale, and thus in some ways has a more novelistic quality that makes it distinct from other D&D settings. I actually never RPGed in it, but loved the Chronicles and Legends as a kid and bought the later setting material. If WotC were to do a Dragonlance story arc or setting book, it would be quite welcome, in my view.

Well in fact the 2ed Tales of the Lance Boxed Set aka Dragonlance campaign setting has a very sandboxy design as eg the Grey Box of Faerun has. True the timeline you play in is set short after Chronicles and Legends novels, but then the world is given to the players/GM.

Besides the usual world and area description a list of places with intriguing names was included spilled as marks over the world map for DM and players to flesh out and explore.

For this topic see also this article:Dragonlance was a Unique Sandbox

Last edited:

Icewind Dale isn't a true setting in D&D terms, but only a localitation. Kara-Tur, Maztica and al-Qualdin in FR, Taladas in Dragonlance and Hollow World and Red Steel in Mystara are "spin-off".

Hasbro knows the D&D lines could becomes true cash-cows in a future if there is a good work.

Ravenloft will come back, but we don't know about future plans about the metaplot and potential spin-off (Innistrad, Mask of the Red Death). A piece of me thinks Hasbro wants a opened door for Ravenloft stories in the pulp age, for the players who enjoy with Call of Chulthu.

Remove ads

Remove ads