Is there life on Maaaaaaars! (er, Venus)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Interesting!

Phosphine in the upper atmosphere of Venus. The scientists so far can't come up with a way of having that much phosphine without microbial life or industry (and they're ruling out the latter!)

Still, it might be that we just don't know chemistry as well as we think. it's a potential marker for life, but a long way from proof.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Well there are places in the upper atmosphere of Venus that are rather earth like in temperature and pressure, I could see microbes floating in clouds, I'm just not sure how live like that could begin. (then again no one knows how live began so shrug)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm just not sure how live like that could begin.

It doesn't have to start in the clouds, or even on Venus. There's plenty of evidence that we have traded rocks with other planets: a meteor hits Mars, that ejects some material off the planet, which eventually finds its way here, or vice-versa. A similar transfer could bring simple life to Venus.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
It doesn't have to start in the clouds, or even on Venus. There's plenty of evidence that we have traded rocks with other planets: a meteor hits Mars, that ejects some material off the planet, which eventually finds its way here, or vice-versa. A similar transfer could bring simple life to Venus.

I'm conflicted about if I want for it to happen this way or not. Like if abiogenesis happened on Venus independent of Earth, that's amazing, it means it's easy, the universe will be just flooded with at least single cellular life everywhere, And depressing, that all that life and we see no signs of intelligent life, means there's some filter somewhere between single cell and where we are now.

If it's earth life there, well then it's no more or less depressing than the state we are now,we still see no signs of intelligent life, and the fermi paradox remains unanswered.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'm conflicted about if I want for it to happen this way or not. Like if abiogenesis happened on Venus independent of Earth, that's amazing, it means it's easy, the universe will be just flooded with at least single cellular life everywhere, And depressing, that all that life and we see no signs of intelligent life, means there's some filter somewhere between single cell and where we are now.

If it's earth life there, well then it's no more or less depressing than the state we are now,we still see no signs of intelligent life, and the fermi paradox remains unanswered.

Eh, there are all sorts of explanations.

The simplest is that life goes through a very short period of time (like ours) when it is spewing out information into the void (although our signals don't get that far), and actively seeking out life without really worrying too much. Say, a little more than a century.

It is entirely possible that more advanced life doesn't want to be found. Or there are other factors we can't think of yet. Or we are detecting it, and it's simply so different that we aren't perceiving it. Who knows?

Ryujin

Legend

We tend to equate intelligence with success, because we are intelligent, tool using animals. The most successful creatures on this planet, ie. the species most unchanged over millennia, are unintelligent by our standards.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We tend to equate intelligence with success, because we are intelligent, tool using animals. The most successful creatures on this planet, ie. the species most unchanged over millennia, are unintelligent by our standards.
While true, it's also not really the point -- intelligent life is more interesting than successful life. We can't talk to microbes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases