Is this a balanced party

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
Is the following party a balanced party

Variant Human Wizard (Abjurer)
Feral Tiefling Rogue (Arcane Trickster)
Dragonborn Paladin (Oath of the Ancients)
Variant Human Fighter (Battle Master) (Archery fighting style)
Variant Human Cleric (Life Domain)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
You have the classic four classes covered: Wizard, Rogue, Fighter, Cleric.

But you really need a bard to sing about your party's exploits! :cool:

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

Yeah, looks pretty classic for 4-5 characters. Two warriors (looks like one melee build and one ranged), a wizard, thief, and priest. Can't get much more balanced for most games. :)

Shiroiken

Legend
Assuming the Rogue is designed to be able to switch between melee and ranged, this is the perfectly balanced party. Just make sure the melee characters have some ranged weapons (usually javelins) and that the Abjurer has a non-ranged attack cantrip/weapon in case they get cornered.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It looks to me like the paladin is the only dedicated melee character.

The cleric may or may not be. The rogue may or may not be.

The fighter is archery focused.
The wizard is ranged.

Depending on how the cleric and rogue play the paladin may feel pretty lonely as the only melee combatant. Only have 1 exclusive melee character in a 5 person party can get rough as he has a good chance of taking a lot more attacks than the rest of the ranged party members.

5ekyu

Hero
Is the following party a balanced party

Variant Human Wizard (Abjurer)
Feral Tiefling Rogue (Arcane Trickster)
Dragonborn Paladin (Oath of the Ancients)
Variant Human Fighter (Battle Master) (Archery fighting style)
Variant Human Cleric (Life Domain)
It depends on what you mean by balanced.
Also backgrounds are very important but are left out.

It's a very capable group with a lot of variety, better than average healing and magic.

It seems (with the limited info your provided) very weak on natural stuff and treks into wilderness and those challenges will be tougher. But many others will be easier.

My other concern would be how few races are presented and how the only non-humans are exotics. You lose a lot of useful ties to major populations without any elves or dwarves or halflings - but that can vary by setting.

If your GM uses vision rules RAW you need to be very worried about nighttime encounters.

My bet is if this group is taken up against stock adventures it has enough well-built synergies that it will run hot and overpower many of the stock encounters and so a GM would be served well to adjust upward.

cmad1977

Hero
Without looking at the actual list of heroes my answer is ‘yes’. I’ve found 5e works with pretty much any combination of classes.

Now that I’ve gone back and looked at the list I’d say you’re more than fine. 5 players and seemingly covering all bases.

Remove ads