D&D 5E Is Treasure and Magic Items Important To You?

Necrozius

Explorer
Using the optional Downtime activity in Xanathar's guide for purchasing magic items has made them worthy of my consideration (as a GM). Finally the party has something to spend their money on (the equipment list is pretty sparse) but it is still limited (no "let's all buy +2 longswords this week and 10 bags of holding LOL").

However, I much prefer the rules for magic items in Adventures in Middle Earth. Things like magic weapons getting stronger over time ("unlocking" more features as the owner levels up) and items tied to specific skills, granting the owner the choice of spending HD to do epic things.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I'd forward a slightly alternative take. Magic Item Attunement is a solid design element, they were just overly aggressive with tagging items to require it. Attunement should be reserved for major items you want to lock to a specific user or prevent too much stacking, not minor items like a Ring of Jumping. If an attunement requirement was a bit less common the cap would be a lot less oppressive.
This is how I do it. I also have some items that have lesser powers available to anyone who picks it up, but the greater powers require attunement.

Coin treasure does have some importance, depending on the PCs or campaign. Those clerics and paladins, or just very religious non-divine PCs, are going to want/need all those coins to tithe/donate to their churches/temples. Or if you are playing a campaign in a setting just recovering from a major war, all that coin will help pay for a lot of rebuilding, which will buy the PCs a lot of favor or even a noble title.

And yeah, gold coins are way too common in most settings/campaigns. Outside the upper class and nobility, they should be much rarer and simply less of them minted in general.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
And yeah, gold coins are way too common in most settings/campaigns. Outside the upper class and nobility, they should be much rarer and simply less of them minted in general.
I tend to agree with this, at least for some campaigns. Coin can certainly be interesting, provided it's rare and special. It can make for great world-building, clues, or hooks.

A rogue picks the pocket of a diplomat and comes away with a couple platinum coins. "Jeepers! Platinum?" And then upon closer examination, finds them to be from a rival kingdom. "Holy crap! Who is this guy?"
Or a party uncovers a small urn full of silver Roman denarii... in New Mexico. "Why on earth is that here??"

Coin can have a compelling story, just as surely as an unusual art object, an elaborate jewel, or a magic item. That coin, though, needs to be special enough for PCs to take notice. But that's really tough in default D&D, in which the base assumption is that non-magical treasure is just wealth, and wealth is just the easiest means for players to crank up the numbers on their character sheets.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In my campaigns, treasure is hugely important, because it gives the PCs the ability to start shaping the game world in an open-ended way. Whether they choose to do so by building their own home base, engaging in politics, upgrading infrastructure, building a network of contacts, engaging in commerce, founding an organization, hiring a personal staff, or something else, their choices on how to use their treasure influence the campaign more than just gaining levels does.
Thats a great point, and I agree, though I don't like tracking specific gold coins to accomplish that, anymore.,
As a DM I'm probably on the conservative side when it comes to magical items. They're notably uncommon in my campaigns and I rarely tailor them to the wants or needs of my players (at least overtly).

I want magic items, even a relatively humble +1 weapon, to be something with a history behind them; the sword of an ancient king, a druid's staff made from a branch of the first oak tree, a dagger that is the fang of a dragon killed generations ago, etc. Heirlooms and relics, something that helps build out the setting in a way that I think a shop filled with magical knick-knacks doesn't. I want artifacts, not commodities.

Similarly, I've never given out a Bag of Holding in any campaign I've ran. I want finding a hoard of treasure (or an unwieldy item) to present something of a dilemma for the party. "How are we going to move all this stuff?". I like the RP that can come out of seemingly mundane problems.
Yeah it's a matter of taste and preference in world building, as well. I don't like presenting worlds wherein the past was better than the present, or where all the "cool stuff" are things no one knows how to make anymore, and prefer worlds where the magic sword that burns with the fire that forged it, glowing red hot and dealing additional fire damage, is something that the guy in the neighboring kingdom invented ten years ago. There is one of them, because your dad was the first person to ever commission one, and the method for making it hasn't been repeated yet. The occassional ancient relic is great, but I never make such things better than more modern inventions.

Back in the olden days when a AD&D Fighter had hit points, armor (and armor class), a weapon and some basic equipment... that was IT as far as features they could actually use. Thus getting a sword that boosted your attack by 1 and could burst into flame was a huge gain in power and variety.

I think it's worth remembering that prior to 3e, one of the biggest attractions of the Fighter class was that it had the best equipment draw in the game. Yes, there were items that you couldn't use like most staves, most wands, most scrolls, and some varied items. But everything else on the treasure tables was fair play. Any armor, any weapon, any miscellaneous item, etc. Virtually no other class was like that. Clerics were limited on weapons, Thieves were limited on armor, and Magic-Users were limited on both. If you generated treasure randomly, virtually everything that you'd roll would be something the Fighter could use. The item limits that Ranger and Paladin had were actually intended to have teeth, too.

So, yes, Fighters were limited, but the design of the magic items was such that they ended up being the least limited class overall.

Doug McCrae

Legend
These are the three magic items I've enjoyed the most as a player.

The Deto-mace. A morning star that could fire its spiked balls as 10d6 fireballs. AD&D 2e. Created by me for use by a ridiculously overpowered barbarian character in a oneoff.

Ironbright. A talking, 'laser'-shooting, magic sword that used to belong to a paladin and was now the property of Catgirl Airu, a typical flighty catgirl. The intent was that together they would form an 'odd couple'. Big Eyes Small Mouth. Created by me for a short campaign. The previous paladin owner was backstory.

Mjolnir. My superhero Dog Girl married Magni, son of Thor, and became God Girl. After they divorced she got property of Mjolnir. She also had a cart pulled by goats that could fly in Spaaace! Systemless, formerly Champions. Most of this was the GM's idea and was backstory.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I think it's worth remembering that prior to 3e, one of the biggest attractions of the Fighter class was that it had the best equipment draw in the game. Yes, there were items that you couldn't use like most staves, most wands, most scrolls, and some varied items. But everything else on the treasure tables was fair play. Any armor, any weapon, any miscellaneous item, etc. Virtually no other class was like that. Clerics were limited on weapons, Thieves were limited on armor, and Magic-Users were limited on both. If you generated treasure randomly, virtually everything that you'd roll would be something the Fighter could use. The item limits that Ranger and Paladin had were actually intended to have teeth, too.

So, yes, Fighters were limited, but the design of the magic items was such that they ended up being the least limited class overall.
even in 3.x it was still mostly the case. Sure a wizard could gain proficiency & wear armor, but the system made sure they probably wouldn't want to due to asf & ensured that they paid through the nose if they wanted to. fighters in 5e still have all those magic weapons & armor options but the system goes into complete meltdown if awarded because everything else is balanced around the assumption they won't ever get any of them.

Remove ads