• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is'Merith - Campaign Thread

Matthan

Explorer
Finishing redressing after finding his skin clear, Daedarai nodded at the half-elf. The details of this ‘red death’ concerned him, but it wasn’t the right time to investigate it. “You’re right. We need to be moving on. You’re about to be a different man for the next few years. What would you like us to call you for the next few hours?”

Macv12

First Post
Shen raises an eyebrow toward Isaac. "Sure. I also do free dental, so you let me know when you're tired a' havin' all them teeth." Shen clenches and opens her fist a couple times for emphasis, with a barely-concealed grin under her tough-guy scowl. It's like being back in the army.

(...)

Mina clearly seems distracted, looking off into the distance. Must be strange for a citizen of that kind of city to get out for the first time.

"Nice, huh?" Shen says to her. "I can take you to the forest when you've got some time. All the elfiest elfs live there. No elf can go their whole life without seein' the forest sometime, not even half a'one."

"So," She continues, "you're supposed to check me for sick or somethin'? Then I check you. Done the public showers thing before, it's really not so bad."

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
[SBLOCK=OOC]At least I handled mine out of post and without involving anyone else. I suppose that's one way to build trust in a group though![/SBLOCK]

Macv12

First Post
[sblock="OOC"]Hey, this wasn't my idea. Well that was, but still. We just had a literal D-measuring contest.

But I will err back on the side of caution.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
[SBLOCK=OOC]At least it was a tie? I don't know. I think we need to find some sand goblins to kill before things get weirder.[/SBLOCK]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Mina clearly seems distracted, looking off into the distance. Must be strange for a citizen of that kind of city to get out for the first time.

"Nice, huh?" Shen says to her. "I can take you to the forest when you've got some time. All the elfiest elfs live there. No elf can go their whole life without seein' the forest sometime, not even half a'one."

"So," She continues, "you're supposed to check me for sick or somethin'? Then I check you. Done the public showers thing before, it's really not so bad."

Mina turne in Shen's direction, her eyes wide. "A real forest? I've read about them, even seen pictures... And they say the gardens of House Amalthea look and feel as if they were a true forest- but I'm sure that is simply their own grand rhetoric at work." She sighed, then shook her head. "Perhaps someday- if the sand goblins don't strip our bones," she laughed lightly.

"As to the other part, I hardly think so." Her light laughter cut off quickly, and her eyes narrowed. "For the first part, it is hardly necessary. The Guildmaster runs a tight ship, in more ways than one- I was checked before I was allowed to spend any length of time with him and his staff. For the second, it would be a fool's task..." She paused, and trilled a few notes, then waved her hand through a complicated gesture- then passsed her left palm across her right arm. A raised red splotch bloomed under her hand- and a heartbeat later it faded away. "And I would wager that I'm not the only one here who could do that, if it were needful. To say nothing of the wonders of cosmetics, which I learned before I learned my letters. And at third and last, such a boy's game of posturing does not serve to breed trust amongst one's companions."

"As they said, we ought to be on our way, yes?"

[sblock=OOC] Not intending weirdness.[/sblock]

Alejandro knows, just knows, that the half elf described Nora. A hollow feeling filled his stomach. Time to get on with this and then go find her.

Sezarious

Explorer
[sblock=OOC] Not intending weirdness.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Me either, but now you know why the half-elf is so easy going and er... confident. Anyways...[/sblock]

Our companions crawl up and out of the ditch. they find that the hessian has had sand glued to it from above with impressive skill and that it appears to have been pegged down with a series of ropes buried in the sand, probably wrapped around sandbags or something.

Shen is familiar with this arid desert and its warm winds. She also knows it will cool down quickly toight. There is no cloud cover in sight and the breeze is stronger than usual, increasing circulation and therefore the cooling process.

Though this whole experience is pleasant in its own way to Mina, there is something about this desert that feels... Sad. It's almost like a bitter taste on the roof of her mouth that disappears when you think it may be more than your imagination. There is something tragic in the lack of life, the surface of the desert holds.

Everyone decides it is time to move forward. They travel under the light of a starry sky, Is'merith glittering like a jewel only a few miles away. Another bundle of lights, mainly torches and lantern, come closer and closer into view as the party heads towards the prison camp.

As the party gets closer, they can sort of see why the desert has a sad feel to it. More and more old and forgotten mineshafts open up in front of them. Sometimes they pass large piles of broken down rock and large holes over 100ft wide, with a depth that cannot be penetrated in the darkness of night. Here and there, the party can see mine shafts entering one of the holes.

Daedarai halts everyone momentarily. A decision must be mad at this point. The party could probably get closer to the prison camp before they had to use the tunnels, but in doing so, they would have to navigate around Is'Merith night patrols. Instead, the party could enter the tunnels here, but would need to be able to navigate a further distance underground without getting lost AND might be more exposed to sand-goblin attack...

[sblock=OOC-Shen] Shen believes that the tunnels close to the surface in the desert may still count as her favoured terrain for navigation purposes as the number of open rooftop shafts that would probably light her way, would allow her to continue to find her way via the stars and direction of the wind etc.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
As they made their way over the sands, Daedarai found the presence of mind to push aside his worries and look at the sky for a few moments. The lights of the city were visible far to the horizon, but the stars seemed to shine brighter still. A slight smile found its way across his face. There were more stars than he had ever imagined. He almost got dizzy taking them all in. It was the most startlingly beautiful sight that he had ever seen. In that moment, he felt a peace about the mission. They were meant to be here and see this. The stars shone their favor on them this evening and there was no place for his self doubt in their light.

The moment passed as they approached the first mine shafts. They had a decision to make. After communicating the choice to his partners, Daedarai offered his opinion, “In my estimation, if we do face a few extra sand goblins, no one will notice their deaths. However, if we are unlucky enough to be caught by the guards and have to silence them, then someone will know that something happened tonight. I would prefer to leave no one the wiser of our business here tonight, but I’ll leave it to the wisdom of the group.”

Remove ads