• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is'Merith - Campaign Thread

Alejandro fishes out his Testiculator, the club studded through with nails and spikes.

He hefts it in one hand, while doing the same with his silvered staff.

"I do prefer old faithful...if I can coat it's spikes in this stuff, I'll be a happy gnome."

Sezarious

Explorer
Tro'Leeras eyes flicker to the left momentarily. He groans in frustration before looking at Daedarai. "All right Daedarai, yes i can probably produce a lot of the cure, but... I have had SOME help. In the oldest part of the inner city i found her, in the big beautiful Bah'dres garden, under the oldest oak tree". He leans forward and whispers to the party "A dryad". You see, I don't exactly know how she does it, but she was able to retrieve ingredients for me grown in the feywilds. Feygrown wolfsbane and belladonna! Magically enhanced, far more deadly, with much greater curative properties.

In my search for a cure I would pass by the gardens, always too busy to notice the beautiful peacefulness of the place. Aside from that, commoners are forbidden from enjoying the gardens. One particularly hot afternoon though, I cut through on my way home just to save me some time on my trip and to steal a little shade. I was angry at the time, stressed, overworked and wanting to quit. To make matters worse, I was finding it difficult to hold my irritability in. Then suddenly, well the strangest thing occurred, I felt a great tiredness come over me as i stepped into the garden. The temperature dropped to a pleasant cool as a sweet breeze blew by. I moved around to the back of a comfortable old oak tree and found its roots ran smooth in a gradual arc allowing me to lie down.

The tension left Tro'Leeras face as he fixated on the memory. "Ahhh, such a relaxing rest i had. I woke up the next morning fully rested, stress levels down. Afterwards I gained special permission from the Silverfrosts from that point to work on the theory side of my formulae there. They allowed it without a second thought! Most others use the central Botanic gardens, which are much larger and littered with boutique snack stalls and the occasional entertainer, so they weren't concerned. One day, when working on the wolfsbane portion of my formulae, I had another strange nap, waking up with a strange, vibrantly coloured wolfsbane plant right next to me. Golden petalled flowers with flecks of... Metallic red. I took just what i needed from the plant and ran off. After excitedly making sudden leaps and bounds in the cure I continued and similar things kept happening. I began thanking the garden and the tree for providing for me, again and again. About the 15th or 16th time, the tree spoke back! 'You're welcome Tro'Leera, Your cause is a noble one, so I shall aide you'. Well, that's how we met."

Tro'Leera smiled, his eyes hazing over with a look of... Admiration? He snapped out of it, Looking back at Daedarai. "She can get us the KEY ingredients we need. The expensive and rareish ingredients you COULD potentially get from the old lab the Silverfrosts set up for me. As for what i have right now? I can probably scrape up 7 or so cures."

He shrugs in Daedarai's direction. "I'm sorry my friend, but I don't know any more than that. Your best bet for forcing a were-creature to comply is when it is not in its hybrid or animal form. What i CAN make in abundance is the ingest able liquid you used against me. Any time you knock one out though, you can use one of these..."

He takes out a small leather satchel, pulling out a series of surgical tools and reveals a masterwork clockwork style vialwith a handle on top and a fine metallic tube sticking out of the bottom. He hands it to Alejandro firstly, indicating he should pass it around

"Ahhhh, Gnomish ingenuity is spectacular really. This device works similar to a poison dagger, delivery of a foreign liquid into the blood! However, it has the added benefit of not doing any real physical harm to the subject due to the size of the tube". You must have some medical training to use it, find veins and deliver it into the blood. I'm also in the habit of purchasing a replacement tube for each patient in case of... You know-cross-infecting".

Tro'Leera once again sits back. "That's all i can think of at the moment".

Matthan

Explorer
Daedarai was dumbstruck for a moment, “Wait, you're telling us that there is a place in the city where a nature spirit lives? Put aside the issues with the cure for a moment, that dryad might have some answers about this place. I know that you don't know these answers, doctor, but how did she come to be here in this desolate land? What might she know about this corruption that we keep finding? Whenever we make our way to the inner city, I think we need to make time for a quiet visit with this dryad.”

“As for the cure and the supplies, I think we have to think about containment. We'll need to see if there is some place that could safely hold the infected until they can be cured. More than that, we need to stop Mina's brother from furthering the infection any faster than it already is. While we're doing that, we keep an eye out for Nora, get her cured, and get her someplace safe. Does that sound about right?”

Sezarious

Explorer
Tro'Leera blinks twice in surprise. "You guys don't mess around do you? It's in the Noble district, so you'll have to wait I think. Daedarai, you have been making fake ID's right? That's the best you can do for now, get in at the end of the week. In the meantime, you guys should probably slow it down with the whole 'Jumping straight to action' thing you've got going there... It's kind of dangerous".

With that, Tro'Leera slumps back with a groan. "It's not even midday yet! You guys are crazy...Er, i mean, in a good way. You get top marks for effort!"

[sblock=OOC]Sorry guys. I'm REALLY struggling with keeping on with this. I appreciate your patience but i've got the equivalent of writers block. Every time i post it's like razorblades cutting my brain and recently my routine has gotten busy again, which is an adjustment, but actually i think will benefit my posting in the long run. I want to keep it up. Sorry again. :/[/sblock]

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
"The noble district and the dryad is a matter for a later day. Today, we need to find Nora and perhaps scout out how far Mina's brother's plan has progressed. Is everyone ready to travel to Peer'At?"

The rest of the party hear Alejandro's voice suddenly appear from the other side of the room. He is standing holding the door open.

"Ready when you are!"

[sblock=ooc] He casts Minor Illusion to create...[/sblock]

A deep basso profundo voice comes from Archibald. "Yeah!"

pathfinderq1

First Post
Mina looked around the room once more. The last few minutes had held a lifetime's worth of revelations, and she was having some trouble making all of the pieces fit in her mind. It might take her a while to adjust- to having her own secrets out in the open, among other things, but she didn't want her confusion and uncertainty to show.

She smiled, perhaps just a bit too brightly, and rose to her feet. "I am ready as well, or as ready as one can be, for the 'wonders' of Peer'at..."

OOC: Checking in, ready to go

Sezarious

Explorer
Tro'Leera nods at the others. "Alright then. Let me get together some cure for you and I will see you off- err, but be warned. The city is extensive and built on ruins, built on ruins, built on ruins. You erm.... May find too that some paths are one-way, so getting back could be difficult."

With that warning, the party heads away, Alejandro in the lead. Within minutes, they begin heading down the staircase to the murky undercity. The smell of off garbage and sewage steamed and baked in a solar powered giant sandstone oven fill the parties nostrils.

Mina in particular can't even believe such an aroma could even exist. For the first time, she can see just how poor the poor in this city get. Perched above the sea of filth atop large rusted steel sewage pipes and drains, people have made themselves a...life here out of nothing more than scaffolding. She sees mothers feeding babies, blind, deaf, limbless leppers with not but a shirt and a pile of rags to their name and thugs and gangs holding up every 60 or so feet in their own 'territories', eyeing the wealthy, but well armed adventures as they walk past...

The ramshackle suburb is made from hundreds of years of scrap timber and old steel scrap. Once or twice, you notice old broken rooftops that look like they once belonged to the noble district. Old rope and chain holds together different platforms and one can't help but wonder if the primary thing holding the scaffolding together is the scaffolding that surrounds it? Like a sideways house of cards, you wonder if removal of one piece could cause the whole thing to collapse.

Down below as the party descends further are more and more shacks holding people who appear to be intellectually disabled along with people who rock two and fro as they sit, jitter or behave strangely in other ways, a capital letter I branded on their forehead. Some of them look up and smile at the party absent mindedly as they pass. One disabled boy does so, but quickly looks down as a man in studded leather walks by carrying a heavy jangling sack. The boy appears to be sorting garbage as do many of the people here.

A sudden rumble sounds in the parties ears as the pipes begin to vibrate. The man raises a whistle to his lips and blows once "SUUUURGE!" He yells out, getting the attention of several disabled teenagers down at the shoreline who climb into rowboats in teams of two and begin rowing out to the areas where fresh refuse has fallen. Then to the parties horror, one child dives in head first whilst the other holds onto a rope. All but one re-emerges. Instead the rope he was attached to slowly begins to move downstream. The boy tugs the rope tentatively a couple of times. "Dannney? Dannn-ney?" The boy looks visibly distressed. The man turns around sharp. "Boy! Problem?" A little more upset, the boy begins to sob. "Mistah Samuel, dan-nie hasn't, he's, he's stuck". The man glances momentarily at the boat and then turns away. He yells out "Time to pull him in boy".

The young boy begins to cry, his face developing a look of horror "N-no! Danny will di-" The man yells "I said PULL!" The man does not move. His face blank as he stares at the ground in fromt of him. Momentarily he turns his head and looks up to a platform high above. An onlooker watches as the scene unfolds. Crying and whimpering for his friend, the young boy pulls, looks back at the man and sobs again and pulls harder. Suddenly the rope goes lose and He starts wailing at full volume. He drags danny up to the suface, who is apparrently missing the lower half of his body, severed by the unseen obstacles underneath. The boy brings the body to the shore as the party stands horrified at what had just transpired. [sblock] Just so you guys know, intellectually disabled people in the past have been known to be used for cleaning out sewage etc in the past and even today, are used to sort garbage at below minimum wage, so it's not that I have a disturbing imagination as much as i like to take real world behaviours that are messed up and then make them worse.... So the next question is, what do you do?:)[/sblock]

Remove ads