D&D 5E Issues about Reduce/Enlarge

Oofta

Legend
I don't see any reason the bonuses would not stack, they come from different bonuses. Bonuses don't stack if they're from the same spell. See Combining Magical Effects in chapter 10 of the PHB, but that's not the case here.

Jushirambo

Villager
Player-character? Ask your DM.

Dungeon master? If you want it to.

5e design philosophy? No, take the larger.

Me? Sure, why not?
I like your point of view, but what you what to say with design philosophy? Is just "feelings" about the rules or something more consolidated?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
In the narrative reduce/enlarge is changing your physical size. This comes with mechanical benefits/drawbacks. Hunter's Mark is something that puts a magical "tag" on an opponent that makes them easier for you to kill. This comes with mechanical benefits/drawbacks. Since the origin and narrative description of the source of the mechanical benefits/drawbacks is completely different, i'd rule that both would apply.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If you are asking Rules as Written, in D&D 5e spells stack unless they have the exact same name. It's int he PHB under Combining Magical Effects, pg 205.

So an Enlarged creature attacking a foe they have a Hunter's Mark on would gain +1d4+1d6 to damage to each attack above what they would normally do.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I like your point of view, but what you what to say with design philosophy? Is just "feelings" about the rules or something more consolidated?
I would take that as just feelings. PHB says that all Spells stack unless the exact same name, and in the DMG (in errata so not in earliest printings) they expand this out to everything else. If it's the exact same name it does not stack, everything else does. That sets a pretty clear picture of the design philosophy.

Remove ads