D&D 5E It is hard to wait! (for my pre-ordered PHB)

Mercurius

Legend
It is the morning of August 9th as I write this and I'm jealously reading about others browsing over their Player's Handbooks, but mine is pre-ordered from Amazon and won't be here for another 10 days. There's a WPN store about 20 minutes drive away, so it is awfully tempting to zoom over there and drop half a c-note on it and enjoy the book, but...well, 20 dollars more is not in-significant.

So it comes down to this: If I spend $50 on the book I'll be spending $2 a day for the next ten days just to have it early. Is it worth it? It would be if I was running an active group. I just imagine that, in 10 days time, I'll be thinking, "Should have waited." Waiting is always good...delayed gratification.

Anyhow, just sharing my tale of woe ("First World problems"). Anyone in a similar boat of (rather insignificant) turmoil about whether to grab it now or wait for the pre-order?

Crothian

First Post
I'm waiting for Amazon to ship it. I am not in turmoil about it. In a few weeks it won't matter and I have no use for it other then discussion between now and then. Heck,I doubt I'll have a chance to use it before the years over so it's no big deal.

Quartz

Hero
I'm with Crothian. The nearest store with the book is ~130 miles away. It would cost me ~£40 just in fuel for the round trip, not to mention a full day.

So, while I'm disappointed, I'm chilling.

Pyromantic

First Post
Same boat here.

it's just not worth it to me to get it 10 days earlier by paying twice the price. It's unlikely that I would be playing in that time anyway. My curiosity is definitely piqued knowing that the book is out there however.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Like Crothian, the only use I'd have for the book for a few weeks is discussion. My group is rolling to the end of a Deadlands campaign, and we might use 5e after that, but that's likely still months away.

Mercurius

Legend
I agree with you [MENTION=232]Crothian[/MENTION] on paper, but I can't help but feel the tingle of anticipation. That said, it would be for more than just discussion - reading (and drooling) enjoyment, as well. But like you, I'm not going to actual use it for some time.

I'm going out later today and as a consolation prize, might go flip through it for a few minutes. I should probably leave my wallet in the car, though.

Agamon

Adventurer
Yeah, if I wasn't running a game, I could have waited, too. But being able to read it and fix up the players' half playtest/half basic PCs for the next game is worth it. I can be more patient for the MM and DMG.

Mercurius

Legend
Well I went to the LGS and the books were 20% off, so I almost bought them - but the bindings on the two available PHBs weren't so great, and I didn't feel like buying Hoard alone (although wish I had, now that I'm home).

I'll just wait for my pre-order.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases