It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

ECMO3

Hero
The demand for dice is not going to suddenly disappear because WotC isn't selling Spelljammer 2: Even Less Content This Time
There is a difference between disappear and shrink.

If there is a boycott of WOTC 5E content the market absolutely will shrink and 3p creators will be hurt.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
No, it won't. If you want to keep making this argument, then you need to show some receipts.

Yes it will.

We lost a paying player in early January due to a WOTC boycott. I further was (and still am) spending extra time preparing because some remaining players won't use DNDBeyond.

Identifying when someone is gaslighting me and others in this thread is factually speaking not gaslighting.

In previous posts you were gaslighting me. That is straight up fact. You were trying to manipluate me by questioning the sanity of my reasoning. You are not in this post.

Just because you liked what you were saying, think it was effective at supporting your argument or was popular with other posters does not mean it is not gaslighting.

You were gaslighting me. I still have not figured out how I was gaslighting you or other people though.

Dollar for dollar or Euro for Euro, the 3pp who I want to support disproportionately gain far more from my direct support than they lose from any hypothetical boycott of WotC by me. I do far more to help the 3pp I like to light their homes by spending my limited funds on them rather than WotC.
Maybe this is true, but the community as a whole doesn't.

Ryan Dancey helped engineer the OGL, in part, so that the TTRPG hobby would never need WotC or TSR or any singular company to carry the torch for D&D.
The hobby is different than the market. D&D will not disappear if WOTC disappeared. It would not have disappeared if WOTC deauthorized OGL 1.0a. Both of those things would hurt the market and 3p creators.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
All those people who stopped playing D&D? They're playing other games now.
No they are not. I know for a fact they are not ALL are playing other games because I know some of them.

I think that most that stopped playing D&D just simply stopped and did not move on. I do not know that is factually true, but I think it is ture.

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
No they are not. I know for a fact they are not ALL are playing other games because I know some of them.

I think that most that stopped playing D&D just simply stopped and did not move on. I do not know that is factually true, but I think it is ture.
DIdn't say all.

And if we're going for anecdotes, I know that the subreddits for SWADE and PbtA have grown, with many, many people talking about moving to those games, and I know that my own table has had no problem moving to SWADE. And I know that's also true of other games as well, because I see people there talking about having moved onto different games (not just SWADE or PbtA).

Have you asked people why they didn't move on to other games? Did they know what options they had, or did they think it was D&D or nothing? Were all the people at their tables willing to move with them, or did they have no one to game with?

So, I do know it's factually true that people have moved to other games.

Well I asked you to start buying them, so that is one.
What 3pp have you produced? Or are you speaking on other people's behalf here?

Faolyn

(she/her)
There is a difference between disappear and shrink.

If there is a boycott of WOTC 5E content the market absolutely will shrink and 3p creators will be hurt.
Only a fraction of 3pp creators will be hurt, and those are people who are making tie-ins, like map packs for published adventures.

People who make original content will not be hurt, and may even be helped, because people who want 5e material will turn to them instead of WotC.

And if we're going for anecdotes, I know that the subreddits for SWADE and PbtA have grown, with many, many people talking about moving to those games, and I know that my own table has had no problem moving to SWADE. And I know that's also true of other games as well, because I see people there talking about having moved onto different games (not just SWADE or PbtA).
Here's a graph of the PF2e subreddit growth.

IMG_20230220_121918.png

YouTubers who make PF2e content seem to be getting more views too, so plenty of people who left 5e clearly have left for other games as you've noted.

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Yes it will.

We lost a paying player in early January due to a WOTC boycott. I further was (and still am) spending extra time preparing because some remaining players won't use DNDBeyond.
Ah yes, but even if some 3pp suffer in the short-term from any hypothetical boycott by me, the overall 3pp community will grow because reasons. But don't worry. Not all is without hope; maybe just maybe good fortune will trickle back down to you in time as the greater 3pp grows through my direct contributions. ;)

Remove ads