It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

mamba

Legend
I am talking in aggregate, while I don't have a narrow definition, the vast majority of TTRPG 3rd party creators, easily over 90%, are either making 5E material, 5E adjacent material, making 5E fan content or playing 5E games professionally.

As the community winds down most creators will suffer. Sure there are a select few that will do better, but most won't and the community overall won't.
well, I got good news for you, the 5e market is big enough to withstand this. It is bigger than you give it credit for, see below

IF fewer people are buying KP 5E subclasses then fewer people will be using them, fewer people will be playing in 5E games run by DMs using them, there will be less demand for fan content surrounding them.
not sure what content you think surrounds a subclass

Sure you did not hurt KP specifically, you even helped them but you hurt the community, because the community is not going to shift to KP Black Flag and monster manual. They are just going to go away.
In case you do not know, that RPG will be 5e compatible, so I can use the monsters in a 5e game, I can use their classes in a 5e game / adventure, just like I could have done with their subclasses. So what you say about the RPG is equally true for their subclasses, and chances are both have a small reach within 5e, so there is no difference there either…

Here is one thing it does give me however, it gives me independence from WotC. If they decide not to renew their content for VTTs, because they now want everyone on their own VTT, I can keep going however and wherever I want.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
Youtubers who only cover WOTC 5E products are 3rd party creators. If you are boycotting them you are hurting 3rd party creators and hurting the community. Now maybe that is a part of the community you don't care about, but it is still part of the community.

They should cover more interesting things then.

While you may not personally might not give a dime to WOTC your DM and other players are.

At this point? No, not really. Who doesnt have the core books? A few of the other player facing options? Adventures for days?

There is enough content out there, to play till we are all old and grey (if not already there) and never give another dollar to Wizards.

Faolyn

(she/her)
A couple points. First that depends on exactly what WOTC product you buy. Third Party publishers did receive money from Acquisition Incoprorated and Call of the Netherdeep as well as D&D novels and tons of WOTC-licensed content from DMs Guild.

Second the vast majority of 3rd party creators are making 5E adjacent material. If you don't buy Rime of the Frostmaiden for example out of protest, then you darn sure aren't going to buy the 3rd-party produced maps, monsters or magic books that are sold as companions to it.

I would guess those two examples represent a majority of the 3rd party published content in terms of sales volume and possibly in terms of revenue. So yes, you are hurting those 3rd party publishers if you refuse to buy WOTC content.

Once you move past the published content you get to the fan content. Fewer people playing 5E and buying 5E material mean a smaller market for fan content, which means a smaller pot to go around and means less money for those creators.

Finally you have the professional players - Dms earning from $10-$50 an hour to put on games. Those professional DMs are going to lose players and it is not just you because you are no longer playing in their WOTC 5E games, but also your friends who you would have otherwise introduced to the game.

There is a reason this has been a golden age of D&D and fragmenting the fan base will undoubtedly hurt the community as a whole.
You say this as if there aren't literally hundreds of other games out there. If people are refusing to play anything other than WotC-D&D, or produce 3rd party material for any game other than WotC-D&D, then that's on them, for limiting their options.

Anyway, I've asked you this before and you've never answered. If I don't buy Rime of the Frostmaiden because I have no use for that particular adventure (my last D&D games were in Ravenloft and a homebrew world) or if I buy it but don't buy 3pp maps, monsters, or magic books because I can make my own, am I still hurting 3rd party creators?

Are you truly saying that we must buy every product that comes out in order to not hurt people?

Faolyn

(she/her)
At this point? No, not really. Who doesnt have the core books? A few of the other player facing options? Adventures for days?

There is enough content out there, to play till we are all old and grey (if not already there) and never give another dollar to Wizards.
Heck, we could literally play until the end of our lives using nothing more than the PHB.

You say this as if there aren't literally hundreds of other games out there. If people are refusing to play anything other than WotC-D&D, or produce 3rd party material for any game other than WotC-D&D, then that's on them, for limiting their options.

Anyway, I've asked you this before and you've never answered. If I don't buy Rime of the Frostmaiden because I have no use for that particular adventure (my last D&D games were in Ravenloft and a homebrew world) or if I buy it but don't buy 3pp maps, monsters, or magic books because I can make my own, am I still hurting 3rd party creators?

Are you truly saying that we must buy every product that comes out in order to not hurt people?
I think he/she is saying that if you don't buy a product specifically because you want to hurt WotC, not avoiding it because you have no use for the product.

Remove ads