It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

Retreater

Legend
I'd be ok seeing some change at Hasbro that doesn't demand $1B from D&D. I don't like the big suits, and it's not going to sit right with me having non-gamers ruling the business and looking down on the fandom (and commenting publicly on it).
At least pretend to like us as paying customers.
Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy with the way this is turning out (though I still want to see protections for 1.0a beyond a social media post.)
They can still challenge Level Up, Pathfinder, OSE, and other systems I like.
SRD 5.1 only guarantees I can play 5e. And that's not enough game for me.

Incenjucar

Legend
I prefer "gracefully accept their surrender while making sure they're not hiding something behind their back". They still tried to do something really garbage to the industry, and there are still people there who wish they could have pulled it off and will want to try again in the future.

They will never get that trust back.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Holding a grudge isn't good for anyone's health.
IDK, I've know people who survive only out of sheer spite...

I will judge current and new product on it's own merits, and how they handle OneD&D. And OneD&D may still have a more closed license for SRD 5.2 or 6.0 or something, which is actually fine. For 3rd Edition, there was the OGL SRD, but also the D20 License and other more specific licenses.

I will also be looking forward to the ORC, and Project Blackflag. And will likely pick up the Cypher system sometime.

However, I will enjoy blowing a few hundred bucks on the next several Iron Kingdoms crowd funders now that Wizards of the Coast will not be standing in the way of Privateer Press.

I don't have to forgive them because I was waiting until all the hype and hysteria and misinformation and outright disinformation died down and we saw what the final decision and version from WotC would be. And now that it is settled, it looks fine to me. I still might not buy the 2024 edition, but that will be based on what they change in the rules, not on all this mess.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
You forgive people. PEOPLE need your forgiveness.

Corporations. Brands. Conglomerates. These are not people. They do not need your forgiveness. Go buy their product if you're happy with them. Don't if you're not.

If someone does not want to buy the product, they are under no obligation to do so, and literally any reason is valid. Not buying the product doesn't turn someone into a spiteful person. If it's bad vibes, it's bad vibes, it's fine.

Go forgive your parents if you're looking for someone to fogive.

mellored

Legend
Forgiveness isn't healthy for everyone. For people with a history of being victims of abuse, distance is better.
Yes, forgiveness is healthy.

I've known a few of victims of abuse. Holding a grudge only hurt them, even when they where at a distance of years apart. You can both forgive and move on.

Not that you shouldn't try other games. Just make sure that if someone invites you to play a game of 5e, you don't avoid having fun because of a grudge.

Remove ads