It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

I will give them the credit they deserve for making the choice they made. I will give them props for doing something I didn't think they would do.

I, however, will not "get back on board". And I'm not coming from a place of malice with this, but a place of understanding.

This isn't the first time they've tried a similar stunt.
Their decision, while good, is still calculated on their part.
Their dishonesty while this was going on eroded a lot of good will I had left.

My stance is based on understanding that it's an abusive relationship and I want to distance myself from being trapped in it again.

I wish them luck with it. I hope that they continue to make DnD successful and I hope that DnD remains a fun and safe place for everyone. I just can't see myself providing money towards WOTC in the light of what has happened.

Last edited:

Plokman

Explorer
Thank? Get back on board?

Thank?

Will Ferrell Lol GIF
Nope.exe, just means we get to play the game as we want. You best believe they broke a code, the code of "Do no harm, but take no crap!" We just had a lot of bull s#$t and only got it our way because we were following the bard's lesson "well I won't back down, no I won't back down!"

You gotta give forgiveness before you can give it! I just am glad I can support Castle Perilous again. (The local shop with TTRPG and such is named that) Yes I have to buy Hasbro but I care about local businesses too, and I would hate to see a game shop close.

delericho

Legend
WotC burned down twenty years of accumulated good will with this one. Backing down doesn't instantly restore that; all it does is let them start rebuilding.

That said, for me the point of no return would have been them publishing their notice of de-authorization (or similar), and they stepped away from that. So I'm not getting back on board, but only because I never quite left. And I'm really glad of that - one of the reasons this one hit me so hard is that I didn't want to give up on the game.

All IMO, of course.

Plokman

Explorer
WotC burned down twenty years of accumulated good will with this one. Backing down doesn't instantly restore that; all it does is let them start rebuilding.

That said, for me the point of no return would have been them publishing their notice of de-authorization (or similar), and they stepped away from that. So I'm not getting back on board, but only because I never quite left. And I'm really glad of that - one of the reasons this one hit me so hard is that I didn't want to give up on the game.

All IMO, of course.
I wasn't sure if I would jump off, I had my hand on the throttle of our train ready to high ball out of the yard. Now I am shunting this train into a siding and padlocking the brakes tight. The fire will be kept burning in case we need to pull out faster than they can catch!

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
I'm not getting back onboard, but I'm moving on. It's a great severance package, but WotC is probably done with Open Gaming. Their leadership still thinks that the game is undermonetized and they invested a amount in Digital Initiative 2.0. So, 1D&D will likely be a game that I'm not interested in. I guess I should have made the switch to PF2 sooner, as most recent D&D books were underwhelming and bland. They did apologize for the Hadozee, not for Spelljammer being an underdelivering cash grab.
That said, their apology from yesterday felt genuine, far better than the previous one as it was succinct, without any lingo about everyone winning. So I don't wish them ill but hope for an industry were many publishers and games can prosper, including D&D.

Plokman

Explorer
I'm not getting back onboard, but I'm moving on. It's a great severance package, but WotC is probably done with Open Gaming. Their leadership still thinks that the game is undermonetized and they invested a amount in Digital Initiative 2.0. So, 1D&D will likely be a game that I'm not interested in. I guess I should have made the switch to PF2 sooner, as most recent D&D books were underwhelming and bland. They did apologize for the Hadozee, not for Spelljammer being an underdelivering cash grab.
That said, their apology from yesterday felt genuine, far better than the previous one as it was succinct, without any lingo about everyone winning. So I don't wish them ill but hope for an industry were many publishers and games can prosper, including D&D.
Aye, tha' be the muckle truth. I don't wish them harm, but they did us wrong and I hope they were being honest with this apology. Be safe on your travels into PF2 my friend, may the games be fun.

Longspeak

Adventurer
None of this stopped me from playing my weekly game. And there hasn't been another play test for me to examine.
^^ This ^^

Except the playtest. I don't care. I'm playing the last edition of D&D I'll ever spend money on, but that's no different than before the 1.1/1.2 debacle. Lots of good stuff out there that's not D&D these days.

I will still be picking some DnD stuff, as long as the other SRDs go to CC (3.0 etc), but my balance of purchases will shift a lot. TBH most newer stuff put out by Wizards has been poor, DL was not good, and Spelljammer beyond bad. But they have changed course, which is good, and DnD is still the gateway drug to RPGs - so I want it to succeed. I'm 50 this year, very close to DnD, and have been playing most of my life, I want the 50th to be a great thing for them, too

Those that want to forgive, can forgive. Those that want to move on, move on.
Everyone should have fun, no matter what game they chose.

I hope noone here holds his grudge foreever, which would be unhealthy.
And I do sincerely hope that people who want nothing to do with WotC and D&D anymore to stay out of the OneD&D threads and playtest. I just want to talk about the new rules and make the game the best we can get.

Their blunder has been of historical proportions. This caused a serious damage to the prestige of the brand and even in the best case they are going to need a lot of time and effort to recover the lost trust.

Now WotC is the main source of incomes for Hasbro. Without this they couldn't survive yet. Do you want D&D in the hands of a new owner? For example Disney, Microsoft or WarnerDiscovery.

Of course both sides need diplomatic skills. They want to make money, we can't blame them about this, but we also need to promote the hobby to the next generations.

Remove ads