It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

So I mentioned upthread that I’m not super inclined to “get back onboard” with WotC—in fact, OP’s suggestion still makes me cringe. But I’m willing to consider spending dollars on Hasbro products again… if they make something interesting to me.

Which sorta puts me back in the same spot I was a month ago: Very unlikely to give Hasbro any money because I don’t find their products interesting anymore. Now that the OGL debacle is over, I can move on to playing other companies’ better versions of 5E (EN Publishing, for one), and I can continue to be annoyed by the bland, low quality products the WotC D&D team is producing. I can also continue to boycott WotC’s terrible direction for MTG.

So, this Creative Commons thing is great, it means I can support 5E again if I want to… but after all this mess, I’m still back with the same pile of reasons to avoid WotC that I had in December. Meh. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So I mentioned upthread that I’m not super inclined to “get back onboard” with WotC—in fact, OP’s suggestion still makes me cringe. But I’m willing to consider spending dollars on Hasbro products again… if they make something interesting to me.

Which sorta puts me back in the same spot I was a month ago: Very unlikely to give Hasbro any money because I don’t find their products interesting anymore. Now that the OGL debacle is over, I can move on to playing other companies’ better versions of 5E (EN Publishing, for one), and I can continue to be annoyed by the bland, low quality products the WotC D&D team is producing. I can also continue to boycott WotC’s terrible direction for MTG.

So, this Creative Commons thing is great, it means I can support 5E again if I want to… but after all this mess, I’m still back with the same pile of reasons to avoid WotC that I had in December. Meh. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I feel ya: Intend to enjoy WotC products, with some exceptions, but it's all case by case and transactional. I don't have to be "on board" like it's a relationship.

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
not sure how that's a positive for WotC? Can you elaborate? If I were in WotC's shoes, I would want a unified player market, not a divisive one. Those three bullet points I
Right and I wasn't ignoring everything else you said--with which I agree--but I was only responding to the first bit. If you compare the MTG market to the D&D market... MTG is competetive, D&D is cooperative, and I believe that's an important distinction to help understand what the flip just happened. It's about divide and conquer. A divided player market is exactly what WoTC wants; a united player market is exactly why WoTC didn't get what they wanted. They can go full ham on MTG and players get upset, some leave, but it's all as individuals. When they point the gun at D&D, we locked arms and said no--african american, caucasian, asian, male, female and everything in between, conservative, liberal, christian, jewish, muslim, atheist--all locked arms and said "you will not cross this line." I think that the fact that we've all been conditioned by our game (and lifestyle brand for many) to cooperate and work together, not to compete with one another, definitely has something to do with that.

I too hope the TTRPG community stays this course and we enter a renaissance period. How much of a division this will eventually cause is anybody's guess. I don't have a crystal ball of course and I don't really think WoTC intended this either, if you're into the whole conspiracy theory thing. But I think they could benefit from it, if they make some extraordinarily shrewd, cunning, intelligent business decisions in the coming years and take every advantage they possibly can. And if that means exploiting a divided community to stay alive... I mean they already tried to exploit a united community. Yes I do see some D&D players feeling at least nonplussed that a huge swath of the fanbased just walked, if not hurt/angry, many other feels. How much they represent the mainstream cannot yet be known.

It's just interesting to watch and ponder. It's really something to think that this is probably going into the history books--and I mean outside just the RPG world. In the advertising world (that's where I work so I can claim a bit more than armchair expert on this one) the poster child of bad PR is the New Coke campaign of 1985. Coke lost ball park $85 million dollars, adjusted for inflation to 2023. I believe it was $5-$6m in 1985. New Coke is the cautionary tale of the advertising world--it is the euphamism for royally farkling up your marketing campaign. This is taught in college textbooks/classes to budding designers and business people alike. Whatever happens, you don't ever want to be the "New New Coke!"

We won't have meaningful numbers for a while, but I've got to wonder if WoTC's insane blunder could usurp New Coke as the new cautionary tale of the advertising world.

ThorinTeague

Id love it if One D&D truly is “the game”, better and more fun than any other… but until I see it it’s hard to judge.
I feel that this is exactly the situation we don't want, because that's what led to all this hubbub to begin with. And I don't just direct that sentiment at D&D--I personally don't think there should be any one single King of the Hill in the RPG world.

ThorinTeague

By the way, please do not miscontrue my severence with D&D as a judgement on anyone else. Yes I am both passionate and vocal. That is more of a matter of principle than any particular need to control any results. When it comes to me, everyone can rest assured that I will not gatekeep or judge against D&D for anyone who continues to play and love the game, go see the movie, or truthfully even be fans of WoTC.

As a suggestion--waiting a week or two to see the movie, if you can bring yourself to do it, is pretty near as good as a boycott. If moviegoers can even bring themselves to wait until after opening weekend, it would be a big win. But you do you and I'm not going to judge.

ThorinTeague

I have a very positive impression of where 1D&D is going. I am happy I can now continue to follow and play 5E and potentially 1D&D in the future.
Before all this bananas tailspin stuff, my basic thought was "wait and see." Sounds like a video game to me--and that's fine! I like D&D video games! If the price is right, maybe I'll check it out! I mean, it's not TTRPG stuff, but I've never really expected my video games to replace that and I don't think any reasonable person ever has either. It's just a good old fashioned vaguely entertaining timesuck.

Of course now WoTC will never see another thin dime from my pocket, so all that is just a bunch of smokey smoke.

By the way, please do not miscontrue my severence with D&D as a judgement on anyone else. Yes I am both passionate and vocal. That is more of a matter of principle than any particular need to control any results. When it comes to me, everyone can rest assured that I will not gatekeep or judge against D&D for anyone who continues to play and love the game, go see the movie, or truthfully even be fans of WoTC.

As a suggestion--waiting a week or two to see the movie, if you can bring yourself to do it, is pretty near as good as a boycott. If moviegoers can even bring themselves to wait until after opening weekend, it would be a big win. But you do you and I'm not going to judge.
As a suggestion don’t wait a week or two. If you want to see another D&D movie or tv show in your lifetime this needs to be a huge success. Best way to do that is build buzz early with big box office numbers.

Remove ads