It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

Incenjucar

Legend
Since we're playing anecdotes, my non-D&D RPG purchases increased once 5E came about because I noped out of 5E, and my 3P D&D purchases increased once the OGL nonsense happened. In the pre-5E days I ignored 3P entirely and barely touched anything other than D&D proper.

Now that all this has happened, 3P can make a lot of money off of me if their material appeals to me. And that's all assuming I merely consume material and don't decide to program something or stream on Twitch or YouTube.

gban007

Adventurer
I don't know, somewhere along the way it feel the message in this thread, outside of the thread title itself, turned from a reasonable in my opinion message of 'hey, now that WOTC has backed down somewhat and 3PPs can keep publishing for 3e / 5e, don't forget to try and support 3PPs, given our push back was based on 3PPs being hurt' to something more like 'purchasing official WOTC products is the only way to support 3PPs, any other way is going to hurt them and you should feel bad about it' - feels like some form of emotional blackmail pushing an obligation on us to buy WOTC products, when there should never be an obligation for consumers to buy a product from a provider, if there is an obligation it is an obligation on the provider to provide a product people want to get.

If people have lost desire to buy from WOTC as a result of what has occurred - that is on WOTC ultimately, if there is some sort of moral obligation to make sure 3PP aren't hurt, then I would argue WOTC should be the one making it right, not consumers.

If 5e shrinks as a result of this, then ultimately the 3PP will need to change as a result - not necessarily fair on them, but unfortunately it happens, as in any industry if the market moves for whatever reason - plenty of businesses close down every day sadly, but that isn't consumer's fault for that occurring - things just change. Just be glad that thanks to WOTC backing down in the face of consumer pressure, that 3PPs are able to publish as freely as they are able to, even if to a smaller audience - it is far better than what the alternative would have been.

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
something more like 'purchasing official WOTC products is the only way to support 3PPs, any other way is going to hurt them and you should feel bad about it' - feels like some form of emotional blackmail pushing an obligation on us to buy WOTC products
Emotionally blackmail me all you like, WoTC will never see another thin dime from me unless it's by accident. I'm not even buying anything off OBS.

mamba

Legend
I assumed it was all of OBS...?
both are OBS, but they distinguish sites for a reason. DMG is the one where you can use WotC IP and pay a fee to WotC for doing so, DT does not. There you just pay OBS for their service and can just use the OGL (or be unrelated to D&D altogether)

Remove ads