"It's a joke name, sir."

Orius

Legend
My most recent character is named Bartleby the Scrivener, which my DM isn't too fond of.

I wouldn't bat an eye at that myself, since it doesn't look out of place in D&D, or I'm missing a reference.

Some players just don't have the skill to come up with creative names that fit in. I'm decent at cranking out names that have the right kind of flavor though.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

There's a player in our group who doesn't deliberately create joke names - it's just the names he does come up with are, well, a joke.

For example, he called his paladin Moralias' mount Morning Ferry because it ferries him about. He has played rogues called Divot, Rivet and Strippet and his most recent PC was called Sawgrim the Stiff before he met an (un)timely death in last week's session.

Tragic.

Richard

awayfarer

First Post
Someone mentioned earlier that they knew a Vietnames guy named Phuc. I went to high school with a kid by that name. His last name? Dinh. At our 10th anniversary (this year) I was told that he's since changed his first name.

A friend in the insurance racket told me about a claim that nearly got denied because they thought the name was a joke. Apparently someone claimed to have been rear-ended by a man named "Banghi Butt." (sp) Turned out that the man who caused the accident was from India.

I don't think I've seen too many terrible names in gaming. In my online Eberron campaign, a player from Ohio made a Shifter Warblade by the name of Thane Gash. I recently discovered (by playing Tecmo Super Bowl) that there was a Thane Gash playing free safety for the Cleveland Browns in '91.

Probably the worst one I've done was "Thugdar Smashgud". He was an orc barbarian with 6's in all mental stats. I created this character in about 30 minutes after a really intricate and well thought out PC I made died in one session. Thugdar survived through to the end of the campaign.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Incidentally, Edward Rapide had another thing that makes him reknowned in that campaign - in his very first (full) session, the party got ambushed and Edward got ready to cast his first ever spell - only to get knocked down to negative HP by the archers hiding in the trees who had been instructed to take down the first spellcaster they saw casting a spell (they knew a little about the party, and were actually supposed to be targeting someone else). He was knocked out before taking a single action in his very first session - at 2nd level.

He didn't take damage again from a physical attack - ANY damage - until he hit 9th level.

Halivar

First Post
I'm currently writing up a level 8 swordmage for tonight's game named Mannos D'Honzophate. He's going to wear big black robes with red hands on them. I'm watching the relevant MST3K right now for quotes.

Someone mentioned earlier that they knew a Vietnames guy named Phuc. I went to high school with a kid by that name. His last name? Dinh. At our 10th anniversary (this year) I was told that he's since changed his first name.

I knew a grad student named "Phuc The Boi", which struck me as the most unfortunate name EVER. Except, perhaps, for the local contractor named "Randy Beaver".

My own first PC was named Regnar. Because it was "Ranger" spelled backwards. So creative, I was!

Remove ads