It's Dark Sun

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I think what Kamikaze is saying is, you're asking the wrong question. You're asking "Why not put the feywild in?" when the question should be "Why should we put this in?"

Eh, maybe it's just me, but it smells of change for the sake of change. "Well, our other settings have this, we better throw it into this one as well." That's not really a good reason to force a change to the setting.

To borrow someone else's example, imagine if it was a common trope to put line dancing in every setting. We'd think they're out of their minds.
For myself these are just fun thought experiments. We have no clue what there will be, so might as well discuss all different kinds of possibilities just to generate discussion and ideas. Hell, even after we do know it can still be thought experiments for each group's version of Dark Sun. So I view it less will they, won't they and more, "what if or if not"

Myself personally, the idea I thought of (on page 14), with different kinds of suns in Feywild/Shadowfell is really growing on me.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Somebloke said:
Didn't the haflings live in some verdant, gorgeous rainforest area- nature turned up to 11- that was a) almost utterly inaccessable and b) horribly dangerous?

Wouldn't this do as a Feywild substitute?

I still don't know why Athas needs a Feywild substitute. That region works for what it is: a "Green Hell" version of the jungle.

D.Shaffer said:
Nature is always going to be there so long as life still exists. It might be a twisted mockery of what existed before hand, but you're still going to have ecosystems and cycles that happen in somewhat predictable cycles. Nature still exists because of this and so the archetype of an exaggerated version of the land is still a valid one.

It doesn't have to be that way, and I don't see any compelling reason why it SHOULD be that way. Life doesn't have to generate nature: Athas's schtick is that it's hostile to life: everyone's slowly dying, and the only people capable of even making it a little better are, of course, the PC's (the big fat heroes). There aren't ecosystems or predictable cycles, there is a slowly dying world. You're lucky to eke out a living. The world is in the long slow decay. It's been destabilized and only heroic action can restore it to any semblance of stability. Nature is broken, the world is dying, everything is going to hell in a handbasket, and it will not find stability, it will not find a stable cycle (unless the PC's intervene, of course).

Without that, it's just "Oh, it's a desert." It's not just a desert, in my mind. It's a broken world, a shattered existence, one that is very unnatural, and one that does not have anything like regular cycles of life.

Sandstorms are not an uncommon occurence in Athas, but ones that blot out the sun for days, sucking all the moisture out of anything it encounters like some living terrible thing?

Again, in a world where the natural order has been shattered and broken, what's wrong with that being IN THE WORLD? What's wrong with some straight-up summer-popcorn-blockbuster apocalyptic Day-After-Tomorrow OMG, everyone is boned environmental event, right there, in the same world as the bug-farmers and the nomadic elves.

In other words, what ALREADY EXISTS is turned up to 11. Does this make it very difficult to survive as a normal person on Athas? Yes. Yes it does. That's part of the setting's appeal. That's part of what makes it brutal, post-apocalyptic fantasy. That's part of why characters need to be Big Fat Heroes to eke out survival. The population is declining, people are dying, the world is overrun with monsters. This isn't a setting in a dark age: this is a setting that is dying, a world that has lost the final battle of Good vs. Evil. There's nothing natural or normal about any of it. It's not like everything would be fine if everyone just left it alone: it requires active intervention to make better.

I mean, Dark Sun was a product of the '80's postapocalyptica and the Cold War stuff, too. What kind of natural world exists in a region of nuclear Armageddon? The entire idea is that the world has been made unnatural by the acts of mortals.

As for the actual argument itself, how is this different from arguing against the Feywild in ANY setting? There's just as valid a reason to have the Feywild in Athas as it is in any other setting.

To a certain extent, it is.

The Feywild is not necessary for any setting.

In a lot of fantasy settings, though, it is appealing and great to have: otherworldy extreme nature and emotion with tricksy fey and capricious nature-beings is a wonderful fantasy archetype, and the Feywild does a nice job of doing that.

Athas does not need that. In fact, for reasons I've outlined, I think it would detract from the appeal of the setting, from what makes the setting unique (the two big notes being: nature is broken, and the world is isolated from the planes).

TheFan said:
People keep picking on the Feywild, but can you imagine the Athasian Shadowfell?

"The Grey" is fine, but even that doesn't need any more than a sidelong mention, because by and large it is not a place to go have adventures or meet friends and enemies or get treasure.

amysrevenge said:
I think the motivation for trying to make these things work is to be able to use as much of the standard 4E cosmology as possible in a way that doesn't compromise the "feel" of Dark Sun.

Even if you keep the Feywild, if you change it to be some plane of extreme deserts and sandstorms, the Feywild as presented in the MotP is already practically useless.

But the bigger puzzle in my mind is that anyone playing in Dark Sun needs the standard 4e cosmology.

Why would they?

Isn't part of the appeal of a different world, you know, playing in a different world? One where the normal rules don't always apply? Isn't this especially true of a "weird" setting like Dark Sun? One where part of the concept of the world is that it is cut off from the planes, and that nature is broken?

I mean, I'd think the Divine power source would be more core to the game than the Feywild, but they even seem to be pretty OK with abandoning that, so why bother keeping the Feywild around?

This would also make the setting a bit more accessible to new people. You can describe the world sucinctly and capture most of what is different, without having to list all of the individual changes instead: "Dark Sun is about a world that has been turned into an unnatural desert by the irresponsible use of arcane magic. The Feywild and Shadowfell are now reflections of this sand-blasted land, with all the changes this would imply about their denizens." An example of the kind of thing that you wouldn't have to explain further with this setup, but would have to explain otherwise: Eladrin can still step into the Feywild to teleport.

I think it would be more effective to say: "Dark Sun is a setting about survival in a dying world. Arcane magic ripped apart nature, making it a heroic effort simply to survive in the unforgiving environment. There are no gods, there are no angels, there are only the impersonal elemental forces to hear your cries, and stone has never cared about your feelings. Death is a release, but it is nothing more than oblivion. Nature is dead, reduced to oblivion, the Feywild is destroyed and the bones of gnomes and pixies and shee and eladrin are rotting beneath the dunes. On Dark Sun, arcane magic has destroyed nature, and only the efforts of heroes, your characters, might have a hope of restoring it."

Eladrin don't have to even exist. If they can abandon the entire Divine power source, they can abandon the Feywild, easy.

avin said:
Shadowfell and Feywild are an intrinsec part of 4E and will be in.

I don't see them as more intrinsic than the Divine power source, which is apparently out. In fact, I'd say they were significantly LESS intrinsic.

It's questions like this that make Dark Sun a make-it-or-break-it kind of setting, though. If WotC kow-tows to the cross-compatability dogma, it will showcase the limits of their imagination and courage, here. If they suck it up and make the setting truly different, it will show that they're willing to go in new directions.

I am not looking for a Dark Sun that is "D&D in the Desert." I'm looking for a different kind of game experience. It sounds like the team might be somewhat in line with that thinking, because they're kicking out the divine power source, and they're not shoehorning in 4eisms (according to the notes in this thread, anyway). That's good. That's excellent. If they go back on that, it will be not so good, not so excellent. Probably, in fact, for me, making me really disappointed with 4e as a whole, knowing that even when they're trying something new and courageous, they have to shoehorn the Feywild (or whatever) into it somehow.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Really, at the end of the day, considering who is publishing this, it'll probably split the difference. They will at the very least include options for including stock 4e'isms most likely. However, I don't think they will be ramming them in willy nilly either. I'm fairly trusting of what they will do, without going too far out on a limb anyway.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I like what I have heard from Wizards so far. I believe that Dark Sun IS their chance to make a setting that doesn't have everything standard that the other settings have, and I think that's their goal.

They made FR core, Eberron is core, Dark Sun...not so core.

Having said that, my prophecy is there will be no "Feywild" and there will be a re-imagined "Shadowfell" i.e. the Grey.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Given the staff comments posted here, I'm fairly optimistic, too. I'm not sure it's all that possible for the people who originally designed the setting to not understand it that well. ;) But DS has, for better or worse, in my mind, grabbed the baton for 4e's potential to do things that are different. If it turns out, despite my optimism, being the same old drag with an orange coat of paint, it won't just be DS that disappoints me.

Stogoe

First Post
I think what Kamikaze is saying is, you're asking the wrong question. You're asking "Why not put the feywild in?" when the question should be "Why should we put this in?"

Eh, maybe it's just me, but it smells of change for the sake of change.
They should keep the core cosmology because that way it's far easier to convince people new to Dark Sun to buy into the setting. "Throw out everything you know about 4e and learn all this highly specific stuff that can't be used in other settings, and here's fifty pages of stuff that overwrites all the normal stuff that you'll now have to unlearn" is a terrible, terrible idea if you want people to buy and play your new setting.

Mort_Q

First Post
They should keep the core cosmology because that way it's far easier to convince people new to Dark Sun to buy into the setting. "Throw out everything you know about 4e and learn all this highly specific stuff that can't be used in other settings, and here's fifty pages of stuff that overwrites all the normal stuff that you'll now have to unlearn" is a terrible, terrible idea if you want people to buy and play your new setting.

I disagree. For me, that would be a selling feature. I want a far more limited cosmology. I want fewer supported races.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
"Throw out everything you know about 4e and learn all this highly specific stuff that can't be used in other settings, and here's fifty pages of stuff that overwrites all the normal stuff that you'll now have to unlearn"

Man, you'd make a lousy copy writer. ;)

"Bored of old wizards in robes and dwarves in full plate and magical elves and the tired old fantasy cliches? Think that's all D&D is good for? Prepare to be shocked! Dark Sun takes the new edition in bold new directions, introducing a world unlike any other! Slowly wasting away after arcane magic broke the natural order, Athas is a brutal, dying world, abandoned by the gods where strange mutant monsters, tyrannical sorcerer-kings, and the wild, shattered, destructive environment itself threaten your character's survival more than any goblin or demon ever has before. Nothing is the same in this devastated world of secretive wizards and psychic savants, where each day is a heroic struggle against the elements, where the Fey have been destroyed and creatures like cannibal halflnigs, mantis-like Thri-Kreen, and gladiator-pit-bred half-dwarf "Muls" come together to fight for freedom and hope, and where your life is a constant struggle against the bloody red sphere in the sky: the Dark Sun. Dark Sun: 2010. Can you stand the heat?"

I mean, maybe a little verbose, but I think it gets the point across. ;)

You make these things a feature: no Feywild, no gods, arcane magic kills plants, elves are nomads...this stuff is why DS is appealing to me in the first place. It's not normal. It doesn't HAVE to be normal. Let FR be normal. Let Eberron include normal (along with other stuff). Let DS be exceptional. It's compatible in that there's no mechanical conflicts, so, as always, it's up to the DM what to put in and what to take out, but it doesn't have to be an assumed part of the setting.

Last edited:

Andor

First Post

4e DarkSun: It's just like the Forgotten Realms but with a coat of beige!

Yeah .... No thanks, I'll stick with different.

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, I gotta go with KM and other on this one. They already have vanilla settings for 4e - Forgotten Realms and Eberron are both pretty standard fantasy - one grounded in older traditions and one in newer - but both pretty much kitchen sink settings. Having a new setting that is different won't hurt anything IMO.

Remove ads