• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E It's not the size, it's how you use it (Versatile Weapons)

[MENTION=57845]AverageCitizen[/MENTION] oh yeah. Thanks for spotting that.
So my point still stands though - trying to get a feat seems a wee bit greedy !

I took a bit of a different approach to the matter, trying to actually emphasize the unique advantage presented by a versatile weapon:

VERSATILE COMBAT STYLE
You can use your bonus action to don or doff a shield.
When you are wielding a shield, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
When you are wielding a versatile weapon in two hands, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

(Inspiration credit goes to Dark Souls.)

I took a bit of a different approach to the matter, trying to actually emphasize the unique advantage presented by a versatile weapon:

VERSATILE COMBAT STYLE
You can use your bonus action to don or doff a shield.
When you are wielding a shield, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
When you are wielding a versatile weapon in two hands, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

(Inspiration credit goes to Dark Souls.)

Tis a wee bit powerful. You get the benefits of dueling style while using both hands and a +1 to AC with a shield. Not even the PROTECTION style grants an AC bonus.

Tis a wee bit powerful. You get the benefits of dueling style while using both hands and a +1 to AC with a shield. Not even the PROTECTION style grants an AC bonus.
The Protection style doesn't, no, but the Defense style does, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. As for the two-handed option, it's actually underpowered by the numbers compared to Great Weapon Fighting (less damage) and Dueling (less AC) -- which is appropriate, because it's more flexible.

The Protection style doesn't, no, but the Defense style does, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. As for the two-handed option, it's actually underpowered by the numbers compared to Great Weapon Fighting (less damage) and Dueling (less AC) -- which is appropriate, because it's more flexible.

In the defense style you get a +1 to AC, but thats it, but you don't have to use a shield either. Hmmm. Worth more thought.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads