• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I've DMed 4e and I PREFER DMing: A poll

You have DMed 4e and you prefer DMing:

• 4e.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • 3e

Votes: 28 10.6%
  • 2e/AD&D or a retroclone of this

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 1e/OD&D or a retroclone of this

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Another game system that isn't D&D at all.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • I haven't ever DMed 4e, but I want a chance to vote anyway!

Votes: 14 5.3%

• Poll closed .

malkav666

First Post
I have run various versions of D&D over the years and a myriad of other games as well. For my D&D games I prefer the 3e system followed very closely by 2e. I will admit 4e brought a couple of neat ideas to the table, but it just didn't have staying power with the two groups I play with. Its not a terrible system and I would join a 4e group as a player if my gaming pals wished it. But at this point I have no intention of running it. love, malkav

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I tried running some 3e games, and even a 2e game years ago and both pretty much ended after one session. I just couldn't get my head around it.

On the other hand, I've been running 4e every two weeks since it came out, and I'm loving it. :)

Somebloke

First Post
Definately 4e. Oh yes. With so little prep time needed for statistics and a good system in place for skill checks, I can devote more time to the important things- determining plot and putting together exiting encounters (harder now than ever with so little free time). Plus the skill system/lack of magic means that I can generate skill-based checks with at least a passing chance that most characters would be able to participate. I haven't run into any problems with 'what happens when...' either- the skills system tends to cover that nicely.

Finally, it must be said that the martial options means that I can run a low-magic campaign with little or no adaption (as opposed to the 50+ pages of rules that I had for my 3.5e campaign).

I would consider running 3e using a low technology version of the Saga rules (I think there are one of two floating around) since I like the freedom in character generation and the narrative feel. Even then I would apply the 4e monster creation rules to speed things up. Otherwise, no.

One thing I would not do is run a campaign with 4e published adventures though...far too grindy. Decrease the combats, up the threat level and lower the hit points, I say.

Wombat

First Post
I tried 4e ... it isn't my game. Far too much emphasis on combat grids and combat roles for my taste.

For me, I left D&D back when it turned to AD&D ... and then came back with 3e ... and then dropped out again. I will probably be back for 7th or 8th edition. ;)

In the meantime, I have been having a wonderful other systems, most recently 7th Sea, and I am open to many others. The thing is, I have been gaming since 1976. At age 50 now, I look forward to the day I run rpgs at the retirement home... ;)

Pbartender

First Post
I have been having a wonderful other systems, most recently 7th Sea, and I am open to many others.

7th Sea has always been one of my all time favorite non-D&D systems. It's a shame it's so hard to find the rules, now that they're out of print.

I always wanted to see them do a space opera version of that system.

Agamon

Adventurer
I seriously was starting to think about going back to 2e just before the juicy details about 4e came out.

Funny, I was just about to give up on D&D during 2e, then 3e was announced. With 3e, just after 4e was announced, I was willing to walk away from D&D if 4e wasn't a decent replacement. So far, so good.

Festivus

First Post
I am running a 3.5 game at level 20 this weekend. I began working on the encounters, stat blocks (I compile all the needed information onto 8.5x11 sheets) and running through how I will use various powers about two weeks ago for tomorrow nights game.

I also run a ton of 4E games, and the most preparation I do is a couple days, mainly reading the stat blocks to be sure I fully understand them. Not having to look up things in 3-7 different books is a blessing.

My preference was that I'd rather DM a level 30 4E game than a level 20 3.5 game. I don't mind DMing 3.5 below level 10 however, I think it's a fantastic system too!

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
I much prefer 4e because of the efficiency in design of the DM elements...I literally did a 4e conversion of Castle Zagyg Upper Works in about 2 days off relatively little work. All monsters (except for one of the locations) and 90% of the treasure.

Just dirt simple.

But to be fair, I was recently running a 3.5 game and I just ported a metric ton-load of the ideas and design elements of 4e into my monters and treasure, and bam! It was dirt simple to run 3.5.

My biggest problem was letting my players really handle their own stuff while I kept my hands out of it and just worried about my adventure and monsters. I can't pinpoint exactly what it was, but there was something about 3.5 that just made me want to "police" the players a lot more. When I stopped doing that, it was 100 times better for everyone involved. When DMing 4e, that just came naturally to me. I don't know why.

DarthMouth

First Post
With respect to D&D, I have no intention of DM'ing 3rd Edition again *ever*, unless someone begs me to (and pays me in Coca-Cola) at which point I'd probably pick up Pathfinder and give that a crack. 4E just works better for me in every department.

I should have write that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads