• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I've DMed 4e and I PREFER DMing: A poll

You have DMed 4e and you prefer DMing:

• 4e.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • 3e

Votes: 28 10.6%
  • 2e/AD&D or a retroclone of this

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 1e/OD&D or a retroclone of this

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Another game system that isn't D&D at all.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • I haven't ever DMed 4e, but I want a chance to vote anyway!

Votes: 14 5.3%

• Poll closed .
I'm in a discussion over on the gleemax boards and someone had stated that out of 40 DMs he knew, not one preferred DMing 3rd edition to 4e.

This interested me, as I am a DM who has DMed 4e, but prefers 3e for a variety of reasons (though I still do play and DM 4e).

So, here is a poll for this community. I'd ask only people who have actually DMed 4e to respond.

You've tried DMing 4e. Which game do you prefer DMing?

malraux

First Post
I certainly would be willing to play 3e again, though I'd prefer some added house rules. But, there's no way I would run a 3e game that involved me creating/converting encounters. If I had to, I could stand running a 3e game straight from the book.

Storminator

First Post
I'll never DM 3e again, tho I did it for years. When 4e came out I ended our 3e campaign abruptly, no closure, no wrap up, just "we're done here" and haven't missed it for a moment.

No one else in my last 3e group would have DMed. It was either I DM, or no game at all.

PS

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I'll neve again DM 3e either, I play in it happily enough but not DM. if I had to DM something other than 4e I would probably go for Warhammer FRP or Star Wars SAGA.

Ourph

First Post
I would happily DM 1e/BD&D/OD&D and many other older game systems. However, since it's only a single choice poll and the real contest seems to be between 3e and 4e, I chose 4e. I love DMing 4e, but I'll never DM 3e again. Too much effort for too little reward, IMO.

AllisterH

First Post
I'll DM a E6 3.5 edition game..Flip a coin between 4e and 3e in terms of how difficult I find it to DM..No problem there, but once 4th level spells start to appear and those 1st/2nd level buff spells actually became viable since the mages can afford enough slots?

Eh, no thanks...I'll take 4e.

Agamon

Adventurer
After 4e, the only edition of D&D I'd even consider running is RC, and even that falls short to a number of other RPGS.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads