James Bond

APewty

First Post
I meant to say James Bond RPG and not imply that it had nothing to do with RPG's. Sorry about that faux pas.

I too remember seeing a conversion of the Mustang GT for use in the game. I think it was in Dragon magazine. Never had the rules but I am a Bond fan so I always wondered how fun of a game that would be.

thormagni

Explorer
Never had the rules but I am a Bond fan so I always wondered how fun of a game that would be.

I've been a big fan of espionage RPGs since TSR's original "Top Secret," but it is really hard to find a group that is interested. It is kind of a little splinter of a splinter of RPG enthusiasts.

The only one I ever really got off the ground was a "Top Secret: SI" game back when I was in the Navy we played for a couple of months and a few sessions of "Danger International" from the mid-80s, (which uses the Hero system rules.)

I have a handful of the D20 Spycraft stuff and the new edition looks really interesting, but I've been really trying to ratchet back my purchasing of RPGs I don't expect to ever play.

APewty

First Post
I've been a big fan of espionage RPGs since TSR's original "Top Secret," but it is really hard to find a group that is interested. It is kind of a little splinter of a splinter of RPG enthusiasts.

The only one I ever really got off the ground was a "Top Secret: SI" game back when I was in the Navy we played for a couple of months and a few sessions of "Danger International" from the mid-80s, (which uses the Hero system rules.)

I have a handful of the D20 Spycraft stuff and the new edition looks really interesting, but I've been really trying to ratchet back my purchasing of RPGs I don't expect to ever play.

I never had the Top Secret game but I fondly remember the advertising packaged in the D&D box sets with it and others, like Gamma World and Boot Hill, in them. I did buy Gamma World and never played it. Bought MERP and never played it. Bought some old City State stuff and never played it. Recently, with GG's passing, I ordered the boxed Lejendary Adventures and it's sitting here but I plan to buy nothing that I won't play just because I don't have the room or the money. I think it's a good call to be careful what you buy unless you're just chock full of cash. :confused:

thormagni

Explorer
Recently, with GG's passing, I ordered the boxed Lejendary Adventures and it's sitting here but I plan to buy nothing that I won't play just because I don't have the room or the money. I think it's a good call to be careful what you buy unless you're just chock full of cash. :confused:

Or if you have remarkably poor impulse control <=== That's me!

Seriously, a lack of cash and space is really putting a crimp in my crazy game buying sprees. I have a few game books I'd like to pick up that are coming out at GenCon, but we'll see how that goes. None of them are close to a necessity for my gaming enjoyment.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I started reading the Fleming originals back in the 90's, and I binge read them. They're fantastic.

I also read all the Gardner books. It's a different style from Fleming, but I ended up enjoying those as well.

The cool thing about the James Bond RPG is that it can easily be played one-on-one, with just one player and the Ref. I ran a couple like that, with the player running his main character as a 00 agent. Sometimes, he'd play the side-kicks, too.

We had a blast.

The dude had black hair, combed straight back, Gordon Gekko style. He carried a .45 auto as his weapon. He liked the pen-gun as an all-the-time gadget. He was agent 006, Jonathan Blade.

The adventures I ran with him tended to be bloodier than your usual Bond outing. One time, I had Bond do a cameo and berate the guy because of the body count.

Good times.

Remove ads