[Jan] What are you reading?

JoeBlank

Explorer
I am behind the times, did not read enough of the basics and am having to catch up now. Currently reading some Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories, Burroughs' John Carter/Mars books, and The Black Company series.

Hope to get to stopping points in each of these soon so that I can start Eragon for the EN World Book Club.

Uzumaki

First Post
A Walk in the Woods and In a Sunburned Country, both by Bill Bryson, Diary of a Young Girl, Equus, and RotK. I got tired of underlining.

Doppleganger

First Post
The old FR Threat From the Sea series by Mel Odom. I don't expect them to be great, but it's seemed like a good idea in preparation for an upcoming underwater campaign I'm going to run.

And while I was at it in daring to explore generic FR novels, I picked up Shadow's Witness by Paul Kemp, because he's the author who's in the process of writing a new series for the Midnight d20 campaign setting, and I'm curious about his style.

Wormwood

Adventurer
JoeBlank said:
I am behind the times, did not read enough of the basics and am having to catch up now. Currently reading some Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories, Burroughs' John Carter/Mars books, and The Black Company series.
Man, do I envy you; reading those exact books (except Cook's, which came later) was my first foray into fantasy.

May you enjoy them as much as I did.

/REALLY feeling my age

Kai Lord

Hero
About a third of the way into The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkien. What an interesting world this guy has created. Will be interesting to see where he takes it. ;)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
I don't really wanna say. I'm dreading the reaction, the vehement cries, the protests, the disparaging effects on my EN rep this'll cause... OK, I break down.

Crossroads of Twilight

I know, I know, but I'm a WOT addict and I gotta see it through to the end. Whenever that is...

DanMcS

Explorer
My brother, being an evil, rat bastard, bought me four books for christmas, each of which is the first book of a multipart series. I think his evil plan is to get me to buy the rest of the series so then he can borrow the whole set.

So far I've read Melanie Rawn's "Dragon Prince", and I'm halfway through Turtledove's Misplaced Legion. He also bought me the first book of the Death Gate Cycle (Weis and Hickman, can't go wrong there I guess), and the Iliad, which means I'll have to reread that, and then the Odyssey and the Aeneid again, since I read them all in highschool. Oh, and he lent me Paradise Lost, which I'm finding it hard to get into, plus I stole his copy of The Davinci Code and read it in a day and a half. Vacation is such a good thing.

Come to think of it, I should also find the rest of the Great War, American Empire, and Colonization series, I'm really behind on my Harry Turtledove. And I should reread RotK, because they left my favorite part out of the movie.

ConnorSB

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
I don't really wanna say. I'm dreading the reaction, the vehement cries, the protests, the disparaging effects on my EN rep this'll cause... OK, I break down.

Crossroads of Twilight

I know, I know, but I'm a WOT addict and I gotta see it through to the end. Whenever that is...
[jordanbash]
Man... that book can be summed up in one sentance. Elaine takes a 200 page bath. I stopped reading after Winter's Heart. Its like every book he covers less and less, and takes longer and longer to do it. Pretty soon it will be 700 pages describing rand.... slowly drawing a sword.... and having flashbacks to the rest of the books... and then... he kills a beastman.... to see what he does next, check out BOOK 20!
[/jordanbash]

Last edited:

Remove ads