[Jan] What are you reading?

Almost finished with The Land that Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs, should finish that up this afternoon.
I'm about halfway through Thor Visionaries Vol. 1 by Walter Simonson. I never got into reading the Thor comics while I was in high school when Simonson was writting the book. Boy, did I miss out. Great stories and art.
I just started A Village of Outcasts: Historical Archaeology and Documentary Research at the Lighthouse Site by Kenneth L. Feder. I've had this book floating around for 8 years now, it was a supplementary textbook for an Historical Archaeology class I took in college, but I never read it. (I was a bad Anthropology student ;)) It's always looked like something I would want to read, and I'm finally getting around to it. It's a case study of a New England community between 1740-1860 that was made up of Native Americans, African-American slaves, and European outcasts. I think there is definite campaign potential hidden in this book...

Sir Whiskers

First Post
DanMcS said:
...I'm halfway through Turtledove's Misplaced Legion...

This series will give you some great ideas for an epic campaign. Just be warned: Turtledove's villain is not a nice guy - some pretty sick stuff happens in these books. I haven't read all of Turtledove's series, but this guy is easily the most despicable of the ones I have read.

Claude Raines

First Post
Fortunately I got several books for Christmas. I just finished "Dead Until Dark" by Charlaine Harris. I'm currently reading "A Short History of Nearly Everything." Then I have Laurell Hamilton's "Carress of Twilight" and a book of Jewish folklore titled "Lilith's Cave."

Wombat

First Post
Dorothy Dunnet books at the moment -- finished Niccolo Rising and will start The Spring of the Ram tonight.

After that, probably clear the palette with Terry Pratchett ;)

Oh, and read Good Omens last week, which is probably why I'm thinking about Pratchett :rolleyes:

JoeBlank

Explorer
Wormwood said:
Man, do I envy you; reading those exact books (except Cook's, which came later) was my first foray into fantasy.

May you enjoy them as much as I did.

/REALLY feeling my age
I'm no spring chicken myself. I just did not read classics of fantasy when I was younger. LOTR and the Hobbit was about it for some reason.

Cthulhu's Librarian is partially to blame/thank for my fantasy literature renaissance. He convinced me to join the Science Fiction Book Club, where I found complilations of many of those works.

Now if I could just find some old Conan, of which I have read not a word. Oh well, enough on my plate for now.

And I keep forgetting that Wolves of the Calla is waiting for me as well.

Wolf72

Explorer
... the majority of the Dune series ... started with the Butlerian Jihad (waiting for the library to get the Machine Crusade), the House trilogy (atreides, harkonen, corrino), now moving on to the regular series (done with Dune, need Messiah and children of dune ... then the others).

also read Michael Crichton's Prey ... very creepy

NiTessine

Explorer
Just read the last few pages of Twilight Falling, Erevis Cale trilogy's first book, by Paul S. Kemp. Good stuff, though as Forgotten Realms novels are wont to do, went really quickly.

Next up on the list is China Miéville's Perdido Street Station, thanks to so many recommendations on these boards.

Just the Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde right now for a school assignment, already halfway through on my second day-it's not that hard of a read and scarily enough I agree with many of Lord Henry's comments...

Remove ads