jasper

Rotten DM
Candlekeep Mysteries Session 6

Book of Cylinders Or

Something Fishy

Days 55 to 62.

Eleasis 20 7 AM to Eleasis 27

Gain a level. 20 Downtime days. 240 Gp.

Magic Item Chime of Opening, Lantern of Revealing, Serpent Scale Armor page 98, Serpent’s Fang page 98.

Start Time 5:50 PM End time 8:33 PM

I had an average group of five. Mistoffelees Wild Mage Sorcerer 6. Scaredy Kait Tabaxi monk 6. Tigra Barbarian 3 Monk 2. Swot Barbarian 6. Billy Cleric 6.

Our heroes were thinking of getting some sea food for lunch when Lunch Lady Pelk says no seafood. Seems their supplier has been over run by monsters unknown. Consult the book of cylinders for more information. The Cylinders are not much help. As the first cylinder tells of grippli being crab farms for the Crusty Crab who sell their product exclusively to Candlekeep. The other cylinders need special mud or clay for a clean transfer of text. However, Mitor Jans has been drafted by Candlekeep to help out our heroes. Captain Jans is not happy because three years ago, he was under bid and lost the crab account. He will great bellowing and snarkying takes the group and drops them off at the Crusty Crab trading post.

The Crusty Crab trading post has been over ran by refugees. Since the group does not speak Primordial and the Grippli don’t speak Common, they tick off a Grippli cop who takes them the Pond SCUM Mother.

DM, “THAT IS POND MOTHER”

MUMBLING PLAYER, “JUST GET ON with it. This lack of communication and bad snacks are not making for a good game.”

DM, “Just eat the snacks, I made bought pastry dough and not Philly Dough. And quit eating the play dough!”

The Pond Mother spits into her hands and rubs mud into your hair and ears. Suddenly you can understand Grippli.

BOOK, “HEY DM. WHAT ARE YOU DOING! They are not supposed to get that to after the adventure.”

DM, “SHUT IT. It will be cool. “

BOOK, “You will be sorry.”

The Pond Mother, “A small band of Yuan-ti who worship the Scaled Mother asked to join the village about a month ago. I said yes. Three weeks ago, a Yuan-ti priest and his band who worshipped a different god, raid the village. Killing most of the warriors, and some of the Scaled Mother Yuan-ti. About half the village fled with me to the trading post.”

Swot, “So you fled with NO warriors. Yeah right. And everyone left here a noncombatant. I have been stopped on by a dragon. King Kong has knocked me out my biplane. The DM wife has hit me with a frying a pan.”

Mistoffelees, “Biplane?”

Tigra, “Shut he is on a roll. And it may go somewhere.”

Swot, “And after a long rest. I was okay. Up to full health. I want some of your warriors. I want a map of the village and the surrounding area. And I want you to pay the schmuck Captain to take us up the coast and drop us off at the village.”

DM looks at book. Books laughs at DM. Book, “You had to give the language first. Schmuck DM.”

The Pond Mother agrees to the adventurers’ terms. The map she draws has Crab Maze which is the crab farm. The Break water which keeps the crabs out the village and helps form a small sea pond for safe swimming. The swamp village with important locations on it. The Brood Ponds where are where the Grippli eggs are. The small fresh water stream which flows into the swamp and upstream the old village and temple to the Scaled Mother. She also releases the last four warriors to help the group. The group gathers the troops and board ship.

The Captain has Seaman Bob guide the jolly boat (DM LOOKS AT PLAYERS. NO COMMENTS.) to the nears Crab Maze platform. The group zig zags their way toward the breakwater. Only killing four emperor sized crabs along the way.

Scaredy Kait, “Why assault our way through the whole force. Sneak and pass without a trace.”

Swot, “The main people should have taken over the temple. Let’s sneak up the small stream to the old village and raid the temple first.”

DM looks at book and map. DM “100-foot squares!” DM reads and reads and reads some more.

The group low crawls over the breakwater. Swims underwater to the docks.

Book, “That is 400 feet. They can’t hold their breath that long.”

DM, “Shut it. I am summing up.”

At the docks they look around and slowly swim upstream passing most of the village and only tripping a small alarm at the Brood pools. They swiftly murder the Yuan-ti but ONLY DUE TO BAD EVIL LOW ROLLING DICE. Just before the village they get out the water. They slowly approach the temple and hear chanting.

Grippli Warrior, “That is not chanting to the Scaled Mother. This bad.”

The group charges and with good spell tactics. (AND BAD DICE ROLLS.)

DICE, “HELP. HELP. OUR DM does not like us. He threw us back into the Halloween bucket. Rescue us.”

The group defeat the evil Yuan-ti and save the good Yuan-ti. With the defeat of their leader priest, the other evil Yuan-ti flee.

DM Notes. I have learned if someone points out a common sense or logical thing which should be available, I just roll with it. The four warriors did help as one player had to leave before the boss battle. The mud giving them the language was a small mistake too. The Map on page 96 should have swamp icons on the lower roll across to the east end part of map. My players did ask to land on dry ground.

jasper

Rotten DM
Candlekeep Mysteries Session 7

Sarah of Yellowcrest Manor Or

630 Miles to Waterdeep

Days 62 to 96.

Eleasis 27 7 AM to High Harvest Tide.

Magic Item Potion of Superior Healing, Counterspell Scroll, Potion of Watchful Rest, Potion of Greater Healing, Chime of Opening.

Start Time 5:53 PM End time 8:49 PM

PC Killed 3 Monsters Killed 78 Villains Captured 12 Villains Escaped 11

I had a borderline average group of five. Tigra Barbarian 3 Monk 3. Yak Rogue 1 Wizard 9 (he who should not be in the chapter.) Swot Barbarian 6 Path of Elk Rogue 1. Scaredy Kait Tabaxi Monk 6 Fighter 1. Master Mind Bard 3 Rogue 3.

The group is hiding out in the stacks due to a certain barbarian getting drunk the night before and running up some the trainees pants up the flag pole. They are looking for a hang over cure when a book falls off the shelf and hits Tigra on top of the head. She punches the book. The book hits Master Mind in the face and falls open. Cry and Moaning can be heard coming from the book. Master Mind tries to close the book but it slaps it hands.

Three days later. The group has discovered Sarah of Yellowcrest Manor was maid murdered by Lord Viallis. Lord Viallis also murdered his family and some other servants. But they do have the location of the manor, Viallis’ businesses address, and Squire Vecken house. Problem one is the murders took place in Waterdeep and Waterdeep’s laws don’t play well with commoners accusing nobles. Problem Two the book he used was NOT in the CARD CATALOG Kait, so it a very valuable book. Plus, it summons demons. Problem three this is a triple secret mission, and we ain’t telling no one here about it. Problem four how far is from Candlekeep? (Let see. 120 miles to Baldur’s Gate. Baldur’s Gate is 750 miles from Waterdeep. 750 -120 is 630 miles. It took 12 minutes to find out that information on the weave.) Problem five Master Mind’s boots pinch and he is not walking that far.

Many solutions are thought of and the group gets a great discount of 4 gp each to hire a coach. (Yeah, the DM now knows you ripped off the Greyhound Coach Line.) A few days later, the Greyhound ELK route pulls into Waterdeep. The group finds the main tannery and Master Minds gets into a good gossip session while buying leather patches for his leather armour. The accountant Faerl is arriving tomorrow for his biweekly inspection and profit collection at noon. They discover Sir Vecken has been knighted but has led a hard life in the five years of the murder of his girl Sarah. Arriving at Vecken’s house they are invited in. Vecken looks older than his 22 years. And he frequently mentions the adventures the group has had with him. Simply put Vecken had too many blows to the helmet. He visits Sarah’s grave in the City of the Dead every week. The Yellowcrest family remains were buried in Greenfast. REMEMBER THAT KAIT. As he has done his information dump, he invites them to spend the night. (DM writes Vecken will not appear in the rest of the module.) Yak sends Vecken a dream about Sarah wanting revenge and justice. (DM takes five. Erases the previous note.)

At five thirty the party can hear Vecken doing PT. At six thirty they are rudely awakened again.

Sir Vecken, “Get your lazy selves up. I was sent a sign last night. We are on a mission from gawd. And you are my posse. Eat your bachelor chow. And drink your coffee.” The coffee had been on the boil since five thirty that morning and even the American Navy would say it was strong. Vecken takes charge where necessary but lets the posse lead. During the morning, the get some information dumps from the new butler of the Manor and the Accountant. With Vecken is a high boiling raging simmer this information is gotten with out combat. YAK. At one PM the group pulls out from Waterdeep and arrives with out sleep or rest or stopping at the rest area at seven in the morning at Greenfast where Lord Viallis now lives. (Path of ELK saves the time.)

Arriving in the small PEACEFUL village, for no reason they stop at the barn.

Yak, “It is the first place on the map if we come from Waterdeep DM. Plus we need to stable our horses.” (DM Groans. Thinks. Vecken is on mission from Gawd.)

While ordering the group’s horses stabled, Sir Vecken mentions he is on a mission from gawd. Fred NPC aka Cultist aka lookout, aka first to be dead, “Try the tavern.” The group leave their horse but as they approach a small apple orchard they dash in and come notes. Yak and Kait will sneak into the barn because Fred was acting suspicious. Tigra will be overwatch. And the rest will head for the tavern.

Sneaking in with an over 27 on the sneak roll, the evil adventurers listen into private remarks. Fred sends Vicky down to tell Lord Viallis that Vecken and posse is here. The evil adventurers mark down the secret location of the cult of the burnt tongue. Kait shadow teleports back to the apple grove and rallies the troops. The group attacks. With Sir Vecken bring up last place because he is out shape and.

Yak, “No you generally make friendly NPCS go last DM.”

As Vecken is out of shape the group kills most of the cult but Lord Viallis is able to teleport away with a scroll. Having no proof of the murders.

Scaredy Kait, “WAIT a minute you said Viallis confessed to murdering Sarah before he teleported away!”

DM, “NOW you listen to me. One off the cuff remark you remember. But where bodies are buried and what book is what, you don’t? Sigh.”

As Sir Vecken is knight of Waterdeep, and gotten a confession Lord Viallis is placed on wanted list for Waterdeep. His businesses are taken over and given to Sir Vecken to run. The village of Greenfast is mostly happy the group destroyed the cult of the burnt tongue but are unhappy that some of the town kids were killed in combat. Other town kids were on the to be sacrificed list along with some merchants but they were saved by the group and shaken down for loot. Um. I mean returned to their grateful families.

Yak on the trip home makes a copy of the special book and keeps the original. Candlekeep will waive any more fees for horses or other things as long as the story does not demand it.

BOOK. “Why did you put the entrance to cult under the barn?”

DM, “Sir Vecken was on a mission from gawd. And it just made sense at the time. I must write better cross reference notes in the book.”

jasper

Rotten DM
Candlekeep Mysteries Session 8

Lore of Lurue Or

Children’s Story Time

Day 96.

High Harvest Tide 0800 to 0805.

PC Killed 3 Monsters Killed 83 Villains Captured 12 Villains Escaped 12

Magic Items. Ring of Shooting Stars, Charm of Animal Conjuring

Story Award. Barney is Coming. You stole a middle age woman’s tablecloth. And released her animals. Lois Lane becomes a night hag later in life. If you meet a night hag there is 10% it is Lois. And she is not happy.

I had an average group of five and a drop in the last combat. Yak Rogue 1 wizard 9. Scaredy Kait Tabaxi Monk 7 Cleric 1. Swot Barbarian 6 Rogue 2. Master Mind Bard 4 Rogue 3 Tigra Barbarian 3 Monk 4. Riley Monk 5.

Meepo has asked the group to research unicorns. While in the stacks, a purple book with a black unicorn falls from the stacks. It opens to the first page.

Jax reads aloud, “This is the story of an Evil Wizard Name Yak. Who was corrupting three boys of his own. They were four dudes living together. But they were lonely! This is story of a lovely Tabaxi name Tigra. Who was bringing up three very furry girls. All had hair like their mommy. The youngest one in bows! SORRY SORRY. WRONG STORY TURN PAGE.” He turns the page begins anew, “Space is big! Really really big. Join the adventures of the SPELLJAMMER NO PRIZE redshirts! For their three-hour tour. Starring Ensign Jak, Ensign Tigra, Ensign Swot, Ensign Scaredy Kait, Ensign Master Mind and Ensign (insert name of PC.) SORRY SORRY WRONG STORY. TURN PAGE.”

Jax turns the page. SORRY NOT SORRY SPEAKS THE BOOK. Our story starts during the time leading up to the winter solstice on the final night of Uktar in the year 374 DR. A nearly full moon rises behind wispy clouds, as a star-speckled sky darkens against a fading horizon. It seems silent and still, here in the heart of the forest. But to anyone who knows the forest well, that silence can be misleading.” The book glows and the pcs are sucked into the book.

DM, “Don’t say it.”

Kait, “Well that sucked.”

DM. Sigh.

The group has been both transport about 630 miles east of Candlekeep and from High Harvest Tide to the Winter Solstice. They meet and greet three green Satyrs from the frat house Pie Pie and More Pie. At least that what the party thinks. As the frat brothers are nine sheets to the wind and the evil pixies have stolen their keg. Or was it kegs. They don’t really remember but agree to follow the frats if they give them directions to Candlekeep.

Along the way Tigra befriends four wolves. Kait heals them but Tigra becomes the den mother. Both of dogs, and frats. Following the drunken Satyrs, they come to the scene of the well not really a battle but a drunken frat party. The evil pixies have placed the kegs into the middle branches of the trees. Kait goes to get the kegs.

The Tree, “Get your filthy cold paws off my bark you darn cat!”

Kait, “Sorry but they know the way to our house.”

Feynor, “Those frats don’t even remember they are supposed to recruit people to keep the Enchanted Pool from being corrupted from the Alpha Betas. Here give them this sleeping potion so they don’t wake up drunk. Looks like you the GOOD Adventures.”

Jak, “I would not say.”

Feynor, “As I was saying the GOOD ADVENTURES ACCEPTED THE QUEST. And proceeded North to Enchanted Pool. They did not pick from the magic mushrooms. But did accept the limited used hill giant potion.” As the group moves north, they hear Feynor, “Darn amateur actors not knowing their lines.” The group enters into the woods.

Unfortunately, the author was not able to secure the rights to the music so we will not have a musical number.

About three hours and at midnight they come across an acre of magic mushrooms.

Kait, “Hey Shroomie. Lots and Lots of magical mushrooms.”

Jak, “That is my campaign Kait. And those rooms are little houses. I wouldn’t eat those.”

Kait, “I didn’t hear that.”

The group befriends an old fey who tells they must protect the Enchanted Pool from the Alpha Beta and get to the pool before midnight of the next night. A little bit of whining un nice talking to fey gets old fey Wheeldoli to come along. He makes a hammock in Tigra’s hair and falls asleep.

Coming to a cobweb covered path, they torch it. And the end of path is four vary nervous Ettercaps who agree the path looks much better and unnecessary flowing of their blood is not needed. (I didn’t even finish describing the path before they group torched it.)

About 0300 they come across a small farmer hut, with a good looking well and well maintain barn.

Master Mind, “well that is suspicious. Kait and Tigra check it out.” Kait discovers the well is mostly dry well except for the Grick Alpha which nearly eats Kait as a snack but Tigra and the wolf pack take it down but the all wolves die. (NO, I did not target the dogs on purpose, all the random rolls had me attacking the puppies.) The group takes a short rest as Tigra buries the doggies and Kait licks her wounds. Meanwhile, Jax sends his spider to check out the barn and finds it is a menagerie with various animals and a dryad. His spider climbs down the chimney and sees a middle-aged lady has tied up two dryads and has stuffed them into a pot. She is sprinkling with 2 tablespoons of chili powder, 2 tablespoons paprika, 2 tablespoons of. Sorry, that is part of the woman’s dry rub recipe.

Master Mind and Kait comes up with a brilliant plan. They will be door to door animal feed salesmen. This plan could have work if Master Mind stuck with plan and didn’t try to charm person her the moment, she cracked the door.

Lois slams the door, “Go away. I am calling Sheriff Andy. Trying to work your charms on a lonely woman.” The group can hear a rotary phone being dialed.

Master Mind, “What is a rotary phone?” DM, “Google it.”

Lois loudly, “Andy. Two strange people are trying to break into my house. Could you send Deputy Barney around. And give him his one round for his bazooka.”

Swot getting tired and wanting combat charges through the door.

Swot, “I only wanted to break the door latch.”

DM, “26 on an Athletics Check. I repeat a 26 on an Athletics Check.”

As the fragments of the door are still bouncing off the walls, Lois covers the two dryads with a tablecloth.

Swot, “What under the tablecloth.”

Lois, “My breakfast. Um I mean members of my breakfast club.” Swot removes the tablecloth. Swot, “Looks like they not happy.” Lois snatches the tablecloth away from Swot and covers the dryads again.

Lois, “Of course they not happy you broke down the door and interrupted their resting state. It takes about three hours in brine. UM. You woke them up.”

Kait getting tired of the word play casts darkness and attacks Lois blooding her nose. Lois responses by plane shifting away. The group frees all the dryads and animals and are reminded they need to get to the enchanted well before this midnight. The group moves on north finding a nice rest area by the river which they ignore and continue north.

Time shifts fast forward. They move on to find some partiers barbecuing some animals and making pinatas. The group low crawls pass the barbecue but it takes four hours. It is now moon rise with five hours to go. An hour later they see the enchanted pond with the Alpha Betas dancing around it and tossing in trash.

Time shifts forward.

It is now 2330, the Alpha Betas have shifted into their Werewolves forms. The group charges.

Time shifts forward again. (DM IT IS THE BOOK.) It is 2359. Swot goes to flank the werewolves. Two werewolves attack the party. Yak summons a fire element and tries to cook two werewolves. Thunder and Lighting very very frighting starts happening. The pool spits forth an evil glowing black unicorn who attacks? (DM counts minis. Where that d12?)

The Lurue Unicorn attacks Swot dropping him in two attacks. Swot transforms into a werewolf and charges the party. Tigra charges the unicorn. Riley charges the unicorn and gets next to it. The unicorn wounds Riley. Jax casts not a fireball but it drops Riley wounds a unicorn and drops most of the werewolves down to half their hit points.

Riley rises as a werewolf and charges the party. The unicorn horns in the guts of Tigra who transforms into a werewolf and charges the party.

BOOK, “Thunder and Lighting Very Frighting breaks overhead. A jagged stroke of white lightning originates from the moon and strikes the unicorn, transforming it into a true, living avatar of Lurue the Unicorn with a silvery mane, shimmering hooves, and a spiraling horn. She gives a thankful nod and bends down to dip her horn, now cleansed of corruption, in the pool. She then high kicks the adventures into the head.”

The group vision blurs. The scene blurs. Suddenly they are spit out on the floor on the stacks of Candlekeep. The book closes. The ones that died did not die but only have one hit point left. The other have their wounds. Jax takes the book and hides it behind a couple of books.

The End.

jasper

Rotten DM
Candlekeep Mysteries Session 9

Kandlekeep Dekonstruktion Or

Book Burners

Day 98.

Marpenoth 1, 1492 0800 to 0830 and 4 seconds.

Time 5:38 PM to 6:50 PM. Second fastest game.

PC Killed 4 Monsters Killed 94 Villains Captured 12 Villains Escaped 12

Magic Items. Scroll of Teleportation Circle. NO Ring of Telekinesis, it melted. I wonder why?

I had an average group of five. Yak Rogue 1 Wizard 9. Tigra Monk 6 Barbarian 3. Scaredy Kait Monk 8 Cleric 1. Master Mind Bard 5 rogue 3. Swot Barbarian 7 rogue 2.

0800 Marpenoth a light drizzle is dusting the faces and bodies of our adventurers. Various avowed are dashing around the Court of Air. Suddenly Buron avowed acolyte crashes into Master Mind. Buron gasps in fear and drops dead of a massive heart attack. Dropping a black book called Kandlekeep Dekonstruktion written Isajar a former Head Avowed from five hundred years ago. The book has various arcana or math formulas and talks about the Barn Door. (Note I stole some NASA power points and printed them off. With some good scissor work I pasted those into the prop book.) Isajar hate the letter “C” and loved preserving books.

(Players are not caring the body of the poor avowed is growing cold and getting wet because of spell selection.)

0805. A massive earthquake hits Candlekeep. Swallowing Buron’s dead body and trapping two of the pcs. After recovering the two pcs, they start making their way to the Barn Door. (NOTE players point out the poster map does not include this building.) T minus 55 minutes.

Yak, “I heard a beep what is that beep.”

DM, “You heard a beep. But the pcs didn’t”

Swot, “Why are you hiding that kitchen timer DM?”

DM, “That is for me to know.”

0810. The pcs arrive at the Barn Door. For the pass two hundred years the building has been under reconstruction or higher ups have been embezzling funds set aside for reconstruction. Master Mind uses his chime of opening while some of the pcs are discussing knock spells or kicking in the door. They find three cultists with strange names and one master sage who tries to use fireball but is not only countered spell but lore lawyered out of doing it. After harsh questioning from Yak and getting no information from the survivors. The survivors don’t make it.

0828. The group heads down stairs. The door to the Barn Door closes and locks.

0829. The group is in the basement with four strangely shaped chimneys. Yak summons an earth elemental spirit to beat on the highly polished chimneys. The loud pounding alerts anything in the basement. Yak then stone shapes a small passageway in the ceiling. Huge amounts of oil pour down on the party covering them all.

(DM takes off his glasses. Sighs. Recovers glasses. Reads page 134. Skully crawls under the DM’s chair and sighs.)

Yak giggles. The doors are pulled open outwards. Some huge silver fish insects, or three skitterwidget, a few cultists, and Stonky Notopper attack the party.

0830. The party kills two of the skitterwidgets. Oil still is pouring down the party.

(DM. Specific beats lore.)

0830 and 4 Seconds. Stonky casts fireball due his plan being foiled.

BOOM! A MOSTLY finish rocket blasts off out Candlekeep going down range toward Waterdeep. Books are falling everywhere. Meanwhile in the basement, Master Mind becomes number three from death due to massive damage. Death saves for everyone else in initiative order. Yak two fails and one save. Swot two fails and two saves. Kait, one save and one fail. Tigra one fail and one save.

TABLE. NAT 20 TIGRA SAVES. She then feeds a potion of healing to Kait. Kait starts healing people. (DM BOO.) Isn’t having those automatic potions from Adventure League great? Skully skulks under the DM’s chair pouting due to the lack of kills.

Note Master Campaign Catalogue nixes the ring. And the lore lawyer has a point about the no fires in Candlekeep lore being hugely broken in this module.

jasper

Rotten DM
Candlekeep Mysteries Session 10

Zikran’s Zephyrean Tome

Day 98 - 106.

Marpenoth 1, 1492 0900 and 4 seconds to Marpenoth 8, 8 AM

Time 7:20 PM to 10:48 PM.

PC Killed 4 Monsters Killed 107 Villains Captured 12 Villains Escaped 17

Magic Items potions of Healing * 2, Iron bands of Bilarro, Boots of Winterlands, Blue Alchemy Jug no poison or acid but 1 gallon of hot tea, Orange Alchemy Jug no poison or acid but 1 gallon of soy sauce, Archmage spell book, Censer of Controlling Air Elementals summons Gazre-Azam a djinni.

I had an average group of five. Tigra Barbarian 3 Monk 7. Yak Rogue 1 Wizard 10. Scaredy Kait Monk 9 Cleric 1 Master Mind Bard 6 Rogue 3. Swot barbarian 7 rogue 3.

Digging themselves out of burnt-out basement and yelling “we didn’t do it. We were never there. And you can’t prove anything because we burnt all the evidence.” The group flees toward the house of rest. Suddenly Yak is hit by a falling book with a deep blue cover and strong trunk hasp latch. Think something which would normally go on a door not a book. As Yak and Master Mind try to jimmy it open a cloud of smoke appears out of boor.

Gazre-Azam, “Greetings I am the genie of the book.” The Djinni looks around. “Why are there books falling from the sky? Why are you all cover in soot? Why?”

Yak, “As I am your new owner, I command you to ignore that stuff and get on with your tale.”

Gazre-Azam, “Ok since it looks like you need to beat feet and hide out for a few days. Bad wizard name Zikran shove me in book. Bad wizard forces me to teach it. Bad Wizard wanted floating castles, elemental slaves, and chocolate 78% coca chocolate. Bad Wizard last located 3 days on a Sword Coast beach. Kill or get bad Wizard to release me. See map. Good day sir.” The book shrinks and slides into Yak’s breast pocket.

Three days. (Swot um hum) One and a half days later and a long shower. The group finds a sea cave. Enter the sea cave they discover two drown half-elf bodies. The bodies were drowned while they were sleeping.

Abbot, “Who is the person who is waking me from my long rest.”

Costello, “I don’t know who. But.”

Kait, “Hey stupid. You fell asleep when the tide came in.”

Abbot, “You don’t get to call my Friend stupid. Only I can call him that.”

Costello, “HEY ABBOT! ABBOT! ABBOT! We dead. We are. Are. Are.”

Abbot, “Well spit it out Stupid.”

Swot, “I think you both stupid.”

Costello, “That not nice. But ABBOT ABBOT! We G.. We GG.. WE ARE GHOSTS!”

Abbot, “That another fine thing you gotten me into. Hey Costello do remember what ghosts do? And are you tired of your feet being wet.”

Costello, “They look ugly like your last girl.”

Abbot, “Hey that not nice.”

Kait, “It would be nice if you guys would finish.”

Abbot, “Shut it. I will shut it. What do Ghosts do Costello?”

Costello, “They Try to possess adventurers.”

Abbot, “Well don’t just stand there getting wet. Possess someone.” The two ghosts posses Kait and Swot. Both look at each other and evilly grin.

Abbot Swot, “EAT ME. EAT ME.”

Costello Kait, “EAT ME. EAT ME.”

Both double dashes deeper into the cave complex. Throw the doors open into the dragon’s lair and demand the dragon eat them. The dragon tries to oblige. (But the watermelon dice loves Kait.) A few rounds of combat and two rules checks later. The group escapes with the loot and clues. One ghost is dead. The other is inside the dragon. (Never had three possessions in one night.)

Three days. (Swot um hum) One and a half days later they at the base of the mountain mostly ready to climb to the cloud giant’s castle. Lucky a wandering merchant were able to sell them cold weather gear. It takes three (Um. SHUT IT SWOT) days to journey up the mountain. Fighting furry winged kobolds and yeti. The final forty or so feet up a chimney does give exhaustion for little reason.

The storm giant’s castle is no more. Just a tower mostly collapsed. Smart tactics allow Yak and Master Mind to scout out the tower. Lots and lots of ghosts STORM GIANT GHOSTS are still in the tower. But they ignore the adventurers. They still ignore.

(MASTER MIND QUIT MOONING THE GHOSTS!)

Master Mind explores the two top floors of the tower. But trips an alarm when entering the basement. He flees from the basement and does not notice the mephits and air elementals do not follow. The group take a cold breath and charges the basement because the djinni says the bad wizard is there.

Being very very stupid (I gave the INT 20 Wizard a 10% chance of sticking around. He did.) The wizard’s ego does not let him flee even with over whelming odds. Result dead wizard. The breaks the lock on the book freeing the djinni.

Gazre-Azam, “I give you one wish.”

Master Mind, “I wish we had all the loot and were at the base of the mountain.”

“Granted,” Gazre-Azam.

Yak, “NOT THAT SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN.”

Six days (um Hum Swot) um Three days later they return to Candlekeep.

jasper

Rotten DM
Candlekeep Mysteries Session 11

The Curious Tale of Wisteria Vale

Days 106 to 112

Marpenoth 8, 8 AM to Marpenoth 14, 8 AM

Gain a Level. 20 Downtime Days. 1,600 GP.

Magic Item Dusk of Disappearance, Cli Lyre Instrument of the Bards

Start Time 5:56 PM End Time 9:28 PM.

Pc Killed 5 Monsters Killed 114 Villains Captured 12 Villains Escaped 18

BOOK, “HE DID FOLLOW THE SCRIPT THROW THE BUM OUT.”

DM, “Shut it. You just hinted at stuff. And I had you just highlight two important facts. And write an important note on the first page.”

BOOK, “You should have read me better.”

DM, “Shut it. You should bold or change fonts.” SLAMS BOOK. Puts coffee cup on it.

I had a weak group of four. Ben Tennyson Genie Warlock 1. Divine Soul 9 Stars Druid 2 Too much multi classing 4. Scaredy Kait Tabaxi Monk 10 Cleric 1. Master Mind Bard 8 Rogue 3. Swot Barbarian 7 Rogue 4.

Don Meepo has ask the pcs to hunt down Quill an infamous bard who was last seen in Wisteria Vale five years ago. However, two years a Gloom Stalker Frost Giant name Sandoval wiped out everyone there and burned the village down. Yelling “Don’t Call me a PET.” What this means is unknown. But a fictional account of the life of Quill is rumored to provide hints that Quill escaped and where he is hiding out.

Book, “COFFEE STAINS ON MY COVER. THAT NOT”. DM slams book shut and goes get more coffee.

Quill’s book is found in 822.33 section of the stacks. Ben skims over the play and mentions it is a knock of the Princess Bride Indigo Montoya part. But has swapped out the six fingered man with a crystal dagger.

Book, “IT does not. Ben just skimmed it. And the dagger is not mentioned in any of the acts.”

DM, “Nor is it written anyone gives the crystal dagger to party. Go read pages 147 and 148. It just hints it.” Slams the book and shoves into the book bag.

When Ben slams the play book he accidently activates a portal which sweeps the pcs into a Demiplane. The season and time has change from tropical storm rain to spring when the blossoms fall. They are about 200 yards from a small village and are being approach by a black lady wearing a cook’s apron and mumbling.

Georgia, “Candy yams, Cheese Stuffed peppers, Salted Eggs, Ham burgers.”

Kait pushing her glasses up on her nose, “I like sweet potatoes which are just like candy yams.”

Book pushing their glasses up on their nose, “Well actually, I just check the internets and…” DM zips up the book bag.

Georgia, “Who are you strangers?”

Master Mind, “I am a friend of Quill we partied together in bard college and we are looking for him.”

Georgia sighs, “More guests for tonight’s party

Book, “I am telling the wife you included her in the story.”

DM, “Shut up. I also forgot which of the players pinned her named on the NPC.”

Georgia, “Well I know bards just go to college to party. I will add more stuff to the menu. The party starts a 7 PM. Dress nicely. And bring a present. The Market is open today. And so is Silks and Soles.” Glaring at Kait, “And if you make a pun the DM will give you disadvantage the rest of the evening.” The cook points out the locations and makes notes on her shopping list.

The group wanders into the market place asking various questions about Quill and the party. But the party only gets information about the party. So they visit the tavern and tick off the owners who are not invited to the party and are put out that Quill has not entertained at the tavern for two weeks. While ordering outfits for the party, they discover a beholder called Renekor has been visiting Quill for the last two weeks and is the person who suggested the party. Checking out the rest of village they discover most of the commoners know they are in the matrix um Demiplane and are here just to support Quill. But they don’t know they are robots. The group decides to rain the mansion early.

Some funny stuff getting in the door happens but it was only funny if you were there. As you are reading this. Chances are you were not there. If you were there, you can laugh.

Entering the main hall, they find it empty. Some cooking smells waft through the air making the group hungry for the sandwiches Kait brought from work. The group enter the main lounge. A happy fire is placed in the fire place. Two deep Lazy boys are facing it with a small end table with an expensive brandy decanter on it. A forest painting is the south wall. The villain of the play faces the party with a deep Indiana forest behind him.

Book, “LIES. It.” DM ignores the book.

As Ben Tennyson gets nears the painting, the forest light from the painting bathes the pcs in a spring time glow and.

Book, “Hey I wrote EXAMINES THE FIRGURE and.”

DM, “SHUT UP. You also wrote on page 155. And I quote Any creature that touches one of these paintings is magically transported unquote. No gamer pass their third session is going to touch any strange object.”

The villain laughs and all but Ben are pulled into the painting. Looking around they are in a 30 by 30 foot room with forest wallpaper on the walls. A door is on three sides of the room and the locked and sealed (and ignoring the book) window looks out at Ben Tennyson. The trio ignores the trio of Medusa. Well okay they don’t but they do kill all three of the monsters. Trying the three doors at once.

Ben, “I getting bored. It been thirty real minutes and 5 game rounds. Since I can’t get into the painting, I going to explore the rest of the house.”

Trying the three doors at once does not work, so Kait opens one which drops the trio into a fine dining room set for six. But dinner has not been served. They hear cooking from one door.

Ben opens the door to kitchen and makes some remarks which.

Georgia, “Don’t be insulting my cooking. And the party is not too 7 PM. Unless you want to.”

Kait opens the other door to kitchen. “Hey what is cooking babe?” Kait ducks as Georgia throws a rolling pin and chef’s knife at her. Meanwhile, Master Mind has triggered the painting in the dining room. They are in a new dining room set for eight and dinner is served. The dinner has Candied Yams, Cheese stuffed Peppers, Jerk Frog Legs, Salted Cockatrice Eggs, Stirge Burgers, and Veggie Kabobs. Which pc ate what would be spoilers. And.

Ben,” You know it rude to throw stuff at Quills. OUCH that was a Nat 20 for hit points. I slam the door to the kitchen.” Ben rushes to dining room and jumps into the dining room painting. But the trio has moved on to another room in fact Quill’s room but.

Ben arrives at painting dining room and does not eat anything. Open the door he finds the forest room and does not got it. He opens another room and the DM considers he should be sucked into the other room but we skip that. Finally, Ben catches up with the rest of the party in Quill’s room. His window is covered in purple slime., Quill has been trapped here for three days and is ticked off that he smells Georgia’s cooking on the trio’s breath but no one brought him a doggy bag. Master Mind cleans off the slime with his magic weapon.

Book, “Spoilers!”

DM. “DON’T CARE. MOVING THE GAME AND STORY ALONG.”

Opening the window causes the pcs and Quill to be dumped into the party room. 30 or so village people are dancing to Quill’s music and Renekor’s vocals from the stage. Two Quills. The only difference is one on stage has a crystal dagger.

Renekor, “Well well we have party crashers. Who are you?” Master Mind ticks off the beholder and starts a fight. Renekor orders the bouncers to toss Master Mind out of the party. The party’s Quill tries to hide and yells he does not want to be killed by the crystal dagger. And a fight breaks out.

During the fight the DM forgets the legendary actions of the beholder. Kait and Swot try to attack Renekor but he tricks them by flying out their range. Kait kills the stage Quill. The other Quill runs for the exit. Master Mind really ticks off the beholder and becomes the sole target of the rays. After three rounds of good rolls, Master Mind fails a roll and is turned to dust. Swot fails a roll and will dance for the rest of the combat. OUCH. Kait is nearly zeroed out and ticks off the beholder. Renekor chases Kait out of the party room and chows down on the Tabaxi. Just as Kait is going to become kitten chow, Ben casts a healing spell. Being prone, restrained, and chewed on Kait pokes the Beholder in the eye. This really ticks off Renekor. But before Kait can be chewed up and swallowed Ben sees the beholder is down on hit points and casts a damage spell killing the beholder. The other Quill hides.

BOOK, “THAT IS NOT WHAT I WROTE.”

The other Quill hides from the group and a group of Harper NPCs are send in to the Demiplane to rescues the group. The End.

Note. Master Mind has set a record. Same PC to die in three tiers. But does not hold the record for dying twice in a roll. That is held by someone else who died twice in the same session. Master Mind lose one magic item you own. And one magic item slot to tier 4.

jasper

Rotten DM
Candlekeep Mysteries Session 12

The Book of the Inner Alchemy OR

Fool or Kung Fu

Days 112 to 120

Marpenoth 14, 8 AM to Marpenoth 22, 8 AM

Magic Item Quaal’s Bird Feather Token, Spell scroll of your choice 5th level or lower.

Start Time 5:53 PM End Time 9:20 PM.

Pc Killed 6 Monsters Killed 125 Villains Captured 12 Villains Escaped 22

I had an average group of five. Yak Rogue 1 Wizard 12. Ben Tennyson Genie Warlock 3, Divine Soul 10, Stairs Druid 2. Master Mind Bard 9 Rogue 3. Scaredy Kait Taxbaxi Monk 11 Cleric 1. Swot Barbarian 7 Rogue 5.

Kait was wandering through the stacks looking up for various different schools of Kung Fu. She was immediately arrested for murder one, destruction of Candlekeep property, and put on trial.

Kait, “Hey that didn’t happen.”

DM, “It was the opening scene I planned on. But some pcs and players kept joking and breaking the dm. Who then had problems not laughing and getting the game started. Any way.”

Kait checked the book of Inner Alchemy only to discover some pages were missing and others blood stained. SHUT Kait. She immediately brought this attention of the Avowed-on duty, who swore Kait and her friends to keep secrets. It seems nameless Avowed was murdered just a few hours ago. Nameless was beaten to death using monk moves. Since no has speak with dead, no more.

Master Mind, “I can cast raise dead on the victim.” Not paying attention how he got the spell, the dm allows it.

Nameless Avowed mentions the facts. Two monks dressed in Order of the Immortal Lotus. Both like NPC who they will meet in the future. The Avowed also mentions they training center of the Immortal Lotus is seven days away and is located in the deep woods near Baldur’s Gate. The reason they are located there is due to good tax breaks from the local school system.

The group travels toward the school and as they get near Kait shadow monk abilities are really kicking in due it being deep dark woods. Kait disappears into the shadows, as she and the group approach a clearing. Two monks are pushing a heavy wheelbarrow of four bodies. They grab one body and dump it into the hollow of tree. Kait investigates and near becomes snackage for one of the black puddings. Between being fast on their feet, slow monks, and hungry puddings. The puddings and monks are destroyed. Five dryads come out the woods to give a reward to Kait because she is kind of slow. The group know the Lotus school is a quarter mile ahead.

Approaching the school, they see four nameless monks and Steel Crane at the gate of the school. It is not much gate as the group could just go into the woods and go around. Steel Crane and Kait engage in playful banner. Crane tries to impress the group with slow fire and some force fists. The monks try to focus fight on Kait. (Hey monk fight theme module. I have to do the cliché.) But real fire spells take out Tin Crane and his minions.

Sneaking up again deeper into the compound.

Yak, “I left the bonfire burning under the gate. Shouldn’t they be smelling that by now.”

Sneaking up deeper into the compound to the living quarters.

Yak, “What is the living quarters made of.” DM sighs.

Sneaking up deeper into the compound to the living quarters as Ben cuts eyeholes into the paper and wood construction. (YES, YAK I know you going to burn it. Quit giggling it is upsetting the cats.) Some of gardens see Ben and Master Mind and attack. As three of the monks are nearly wiped out the smart one goes for help.

The first wave of reinforcements arrives and Kait casts darkness on herself and crashes all the way thorough the paper house. Only to clubbed to death even with disadvantage due to the previous mention female murder being smart and murdering the Crazy Kat. The first wave runs forward into Yak’s Fire elemental which dm will now stupidly ignore for the rest of the combat.

The second wave of nearly arrives but is lock down mostly by an evil hypnotic pattern but during the combat Swot goes down for thee first time.

The third wave arrives the big boss who scares the party with legendary actions. During this time Swot goes down a second time. Toward the end of third wave, the fourth wave fades into the woods.

BOOK, “Liar you missed them.”

DM, “At that point it wouldn’t have matter.”

The group throws the bodies into the burning house. Loots the bodies. Rescue the captive. And return to Candlekeep.

BUT Yak decides to create the soul stealing gloves and is immediately removed from play. Adventure League removed the gloves due to the flavor text. The Gloves gives you a 20 Con and some force damage.

Note One player suggested the scale of the map but not the buildings be adjusted. 10 or 20 feet squares due to noise issues. Anyone know why AL has went to no evil pcs at all? Since we can change alignment between sessions. Combat started around 7:45 and I just funneling the npcs in since it was a monk theme module and the players highly suggest the noise of combat would be heard around the compound.

jasper

Rotten DM
Candlekeep Mysteries Session 14

The Scrivener’s Tale

The DM Cracks

Days 121 to 128

Marpenoth 23, 8 AM to Marpenoth 29, 8 AM

Magic Item Scroll of Conjure Fey, Potion of Fire Giant Strength, Robe of Eyes, Ioun Stone of Awareness

Start Time 6:03 PM End Time 11 PM.

Pc Killed 6 Monsters Killed 152 Villains Captured 12 Villains Escaped 23

Story Award All. Gloaming Goody. You destroyed the Princess of Shadow. An Archfey Owes you a favor but ask nicely.

Story Award except Tigra. You subtracted Hastarglyrr in two rounds. Good Dragons are not happy. Next two good dragons start out as hostile to you.

Story Award All. Back in Black. Caustilancer the black dragon to escape into the wild and returns to his home near Daggerford. Daggerford towns folks are hostile to you.

Story Award. All. Book Deal. If you donate books for the library, you can gain favor with First Reader and the Avowed. No more charges to you. And three free visits to the Keep after the end of campaign.

Story Award. Swot only. Ghost Girl. You got very close and personal with the ghost of Yvandre Rillyn. The party girl talked you into a face tattoo and full back tattoo of your choice.

I had a very strong group of five due to the level sixteen and conjurer. Cretin paladin 12 Warlock 4. Tigra Barbarian 4 Kensei monk 10. Trinion Ankerton 10 wizard conjurer 6 shepherd druids. Swot barbarian 7 rogue 7. Scaredy Kait Monk 13 Cleric 1.

Thanks to everyone especially Trinion for his spreadsheet. The player would preroll their attacks and damage before it was their initiative. With the various spells and effects in the combat, this sped up the game. BOO. BOO. Monks should not dodge.

DM Notes. I made some changes to the plot hook but this was a big railroad. Also, I should have not went with the R rated jokes as that help derail the plot hook. But we had fun.

Meepo has ask the group to look up articles on the fey court. Unknown to group, one of the remain four members of Immortal Lotus has slipped an evil book into their pull sheet. Swot seeing an unusual book with the slip cover “Play Barbarian” on it opens and starts reading in. Out loud.

The Scrivener’s Tale tells the story of a selfish and amoral archfey called the Princess of the Shadow Glass, who is locked in a blood feud with the Queen of Air and Darkness, the ruler of the Gloaming Court in the Feywild. The queen is described as an intelligent, gleaming black crystal that hovers above a throne of twisted, petrified wood. The princess is cast in the role of the protagonist, yet she views everyone else as a pawn in her struggle. The tale ends with a monologue promising bloody reprisals upon everyone the princess believes has wronged her.

Skip. To see fey pin up models turn to page 73. Gary will must include an index in the book. And what was the curse supposed to do. I think we dropped that in the second draft. Kursk. That evil archfey gets all the babes.

Everyone in entrance by the fact that Swot can read and the story. They do not notice the spoken text is now appearing on their skin. They are cursed with Scrivener’s Curse. Which does let them speak, read, and write elf.

Trinion, “I can already do that.”

With the drawback of no shadow. Which sets off the Kait who thinks she will lose her powers. Suddenly the Princess of Shadow starts talking ONLY to Swot. He is confused as to why the Princess is talking about his pass dealing with his mom. The Princess thinks Swot is the most intelligent member of the party. (The dumb found look on the player help with me messing with Swot.) The princess states she can remove the curse but this must be kept quiet. And Swot should not read out aloud any more. (Note move the trigger of the curse to be anyone who hears the story.) Trinion grabs the book away from Swot.

Cretin demands a meeting with Teles Alivoste Candlekeep expert on curses. Cretin demands Candlekeep fix the curse and gripes about leaving dangerous books not lock up. Various threats are made to Teles (and the DM and the module writer. Player was not happy with the auto curse. Neither was the DM.) As Teles is trying to tell Cretin to calm down.

Trinion, “I read the book.” (DM Groans.) A few hours of research and five-minute break for the DM to get his laughing under control. Teles has discover the book was dropped shipped from Baldur’s Gate by of Yvandre Rillyn. Teles now affected with the curse will gladly sign out a pass for the group to used a teleportation circle to Baldur’s Gate.

Arriving at Baldur’s Gate, they are told to go to the pyramid south east corner and ask for Rillyn. It seems some unnamed (DM too lazy to look up the session) adventurers where mess around with a bag of beans. Which summon the pyramid, and mummy lord, and broke the North West wall of Rillyn’s estate.

Gillian Guard, “What are you here for?”

Swot, “To trade for interesting books.”

Gillian Guard, “I have been threated, bribed, lie to, beaten up, beaten down. I never heard that excuse. Bob goes ask Rillyn if she wants to talk to these people. Bob leaves.

Trinion, “I start reading the book!” DM sigh.

Rillyn wants to see these adventurers. She is a dark skin lady missing half her left arm. Rillyn, “What can I talk with you people….”.

Trinion, “I start reading the book!” DM heavy sigh. Being blackmailed by the curse, Rillyn does some research which reveals the location of the old library. She gladly pays for a teleportation circle and agrees to go with the group. So does Gillian. Arriving at the Red Quill library they explore. Kait accidentally triggers a trap which kills Gillian and Rillyn and damages some of the party. This trap also releases the black dragon Caustilancer. The group wisely lets them go. Exploring more they find a nice ghost call Zyrian the Scrivener. His price for the secret of opening the door is possession of Trinion. Trinion agrees and we fade to black for a bit. Trinion then licks the door knob on the door leading into the reading room. This triggers the monster waves.

90 minutes, 15 mummies, and 3 stone golems the door is ready to open. (Note gave the monsters max hit points, double damage on a hit and add 5 mummies since this was the groups first fight of the night. So have stayed with average hit points.) Trinion opens the door and this summons the Princess who was lying to Swot the whole time. Swot gets mad and kicks her between the legs which starts the boss fight.

Lots fight stuff with Trinion playing hooky. Okay I thought I killed him but he still had inspiration from stealing the book from Swot. (I allowed Inspiration roll after the result.) No one died. 38 minutes later. The group is leaving the library and DM is wrapping up.

DM, “Okay as you climb out of hole, you see an adult copper dragon. I am just going to deduce the two raise dead scrolls you have to buy to bring back the two NPCs.”

Group, “Lets wait until Cretin gets out the bath room”.

The group climbs out the hole of the library to see the copper dragon Hastarglyrr and the ghosts of Gillian and Rillyn. Hastarglyrr wants you to pay to raise the dead on his two friends.

Cretin, “BEEP. (Multiple Beeps.) Initiative. 17.”

Tigra, “This is going to be a lesson in subtraction.”

The fight starts and in under two rounds. The dragon is dead. Gillian is dead again. Rillyn has possessed the body of Swot and ran off into the woods. After a few days Swot shows back up with a tattoo of a dirty word on his face. And we don’t what type of back tattoo because Swot will not show us.

DM Notes. This is second time a tier 3 person has lost to a ghost possession. The group agrees the hook is railroad but was better when I triggered it immediately. Cretin is correct about how Candlekeep is not doing it job about keeping dangerous books out the library.

jasper

Rotten DM
oops someone mention I did not post this.
Candlekeep Mysteries Session 13

The Canopic Being Or

The Lady is a Mummy

Days 120 to 121

Marpenoth 22, 8 AM to Marpenoth 23, 8 AM

Magic Item Crystal ball of True Seeing, Eyes of Minute Seeing (This is a jeweled Eye patch), Hat of Disguise, Ioun Awareness Stone, Staff of Fate, Watchful Helm, potion of Superior healing, Sun Blade,

Start Time 5:50 PM End Time 9:56 PM.

Pc Killed 6 Monsters Killed 131 Villains Captured 12 Villains Escaped 23

Story Award. Curse You Meddling Kids. Except for the potions, all magic items you stole from the dungeon are cursed You must pay for a Remove Curse to use them. 90 GP for the Remove Curse.

Mummy is Mad. You did not kill Valin, she may come looking for you.

I had a very strong group of five Ben Tennyson genie warlock 2, Divine soul 11, Star Druid 2. Tigra Barbarian 3 Monk 9, Scaredy Kait Tabaxi monk 12 Cleric 1. Master Mind Bard 10 Rogue 3. Cretin Paladin 12 Warlock 4. Swot Barbarian 6 rogue 6.

The group has been summoned by the First Reader. As they are walking across the quad they hear. “Cannonball” They look around just as young bronze dragon belly flops on to Ben.

Ben, “YOU SAID GREEN DRAGON. WE ALL HEARD YOU!”

DMG,”AND I always fix most of my mistakes in post.”

Ashgarlyth the young BRONZE Dragon, “Sorry. Sorry. I didn’t see you there. I must have GHOSTED out. Me and my new friends were playing tag the donkey. And I guess you became a donkey.”

Master Mind, “Nice word play.”

Four monks with a flaming BRONZE Dragon claw on their tabards arrive and start brushing Ben Tennyson off. The claw looks newly sewed on as if just last week they symbol was a lotus flower encircled by a black circle. As it looks like one of them is going to punch Ben. Kazryn Nyantani one of the Great reader comes up the group.

Kazryn, “Ashgarlyth what have we said about playing rough house in the quad?”

Master Mind, “But is not a house it a quad.”

Cretin, “And why do allow a young GREEN Dragon (beep you DM) to enter Candlekeep anyway?”

Kazryn, “He brought some water soak comics. Most are worthless but we may be able to save Number 13 Killer Kobolds of Kalamazoo. If you remember it is the first appearance of ICY, the Icewind Kobold/”

Cretin, “COMIC NERD.”

Kazryn, “You, dragon and his minions. Go play outside. Outside Candlekeep. You Meepo’s Minions. You have a meeting with the First Reader. Get there.”

The first reader info dumps the group. A book encased in plastic shell name the Canopic Being was dropped off six months ago. The first three quarters of the book are on how to make a mummy lord. The last few pages are names of people who have disappeared. Including Mayastan Sadaar dragonborn sage who disappear seventy-two hours ago on a trip to Tashluta (think Egypt). And the adventure names. The Adventure names were written in Sadaar’s handwriting. The First reader will pay a grant gp each if you find and recover Sadaar and discover why their names are written in the book. The keep will also pay for passage by teleportation circle to Tashluta.

Arriving in Tashluta the group is pass on from lower level priest of House of the All-seeing Gawd. Until getting the attention of Shir Endellion who is tick off the book is associated with the Gawd. After a nice tea ceremony.

Cretin, “I Ain’t drinking no tea.”

After a nice snack of wine and.

Cretin, “I ain’t drinking no wine.”

After another quick info dump of the sage they are looking for when to speak to Valin in the secret temple. The group is taken to the WOOD (HEY YOU SAID TOOL SHED SATURDAY). UM the group is taken to small tool shed which is the secret entrance to the major temple. They are teleported to temple and me Alessia.

After bad mouthing and ticking off Alessia. Alessia tries to get a reply for the All-Seeing eyes which are painted all over the entrance chamber. Getting a headache from dealing with Cretin’s bad mouthing the gawd, she allows the group to wander free as she returns to her sleeping quarters with a sick headache.

The group wanders north and destroys a crystal dais to get sun sword for Tigra. Ben Tennyson tries to sweep up the mess but the dais reforms and nearly traps him inside the newly form crystal. Advancing deeper into tomb um temple. They come to spa with Okuzor the Gladiator who is soaking in a poisoned spa. Valin speaks through Okuzor and is tick off by Cretin. A one on one match turns into a one on three match by the cheating adventurers. After looting the spa, they continue north. Finding the dead body of the sage they looking for but NONE of them could figure out what body part was removed. Continuing their loot vacation, they loot the treasure chamber and wander back down the temple. They have fun in the floating moon walk chamber and wander to the base of the tomb. Cretin tries to poke out all the floating eyes in the eye see you need a rest chamber. And having complete the circle they laugh at the crystal encase hand broom and enter the main chamber of.

How deep is the chamber? If take a flying leap to the center of chamber I would only take 12 pints of damage. Any more hamburgers left. The chamber is 120. How deep is the chamber?

After distracting the dm for four or more minutes so the dm forgot there were two Canopic Golems in the room for the group to fight, the group destroys the coffin and loots the cool eyepatch. They leave the chamber toward the last two rooms.

In the antechamber the group laughs at the hologram show and are not impress when Valin shows up with her Canopic Being sidekick.

BOOK, “HEY ONLY VALIN was supposed to show up.”

DM, “Adjusting for stronger group. And none of your lair actions do beep. UM Anything.” After about six rounds and forty minutes of combat.

Cretin, “You should have adjusted better. What boss lady does not have minions.” He kicks mummy dust into the dust of the mummy’s face.

The troupe retrieves the body of the dragonborn sage and return to Candlekeep. WE will NOT mention the nasty stuff wrote on the Mummy Lord’s um Lady’s chamber. But the Valin will return. If this was homebrew.

jasper

Rotten DM
Candlekeep Mysteries Session 15

Alkazaar’s Appendix

Turtle Uber

Days 128 to 140

Marpenoth 29, 8 AM To Uktar 12 8 AM 1492

Magic Item Magic Item Animated Shield, Dwarven Plate, Ring of Acid Resistance, Horn of blasting, Spell Scroll of Wish, Wand of Polymorph, Staff of Withering, +2 Longbow,

Charm of Mirage or Charm of Water Bearer CKM 212

Sand Hoard the treasure you looted from the city, Potion of climbing, Cantrip scroll, 2nd level spell scroll, Greater healing potion, potion of superior healing, potion of diminution, 5th level spell scroll

Start Time 5:43 PM End Time 9:28 PM.

PC Killed 6 Monsters Killed 164 Villains Captured 12 Villains Escaped 23

I had an average group of four Ben Tennyson Genie Warlock 2 Stars Druid 2 Divine Soul 16. Swot barbarian 7 rogue 8. Scaredy Kait Monk 14 Cleric 1. Tigra barbarian 4 monk 11.

Guest dice rolls were Swot’s Kids who like everyone but Swot.

2X Travel Speed. 2x Travel speed button push. Sigh.

The group is looking up Golem recipes when they find Alkazaar’s Appendix which tells of the unknown hero Alkazaar last adventure. He is unknown due selling his story to a gentle name Volothamp. His last adventure was trying to track down the Lost Golem Sapphire Sentinel of Prince Ham. Um Hamukai. The Sapphire Sentinel protected the tomb of Prince Hamukai and one of great legendary Netherese scrolls was buried with prince because the dead need reading material while waiting to be processed. Al was unsuccessful finding the tomb but he did find the Sapphire Sentinel. He was walking with Sappy when the evil Cretin Chaos Gang jumped him. Or a Sandstorm. Al had not fully edited the story. Al was able to place a tracker on Sappy and teleport away. Sappy was able to play dumb and was left alone by the gang. Al did include the portal device in his Appendix. (Group groans as they symbol is the “Don’t Panic Thumb”). The group press the thumb and are ported.

Sand flies in Tigra’s face. An ancient voice, “Grandson keep digging we got the head uncovered.” Sand files in Swot’s face. The voice continues, “Grandson I could dig for hours in the sun.”

Tigra, “Excuse me.” Sand flies in Swot’s face.

Shamir, “That was a horrible voice Pesh. Sounded like a female with a furry voice.” Sand flies toward Ben and he sidesteps the shovel full of sand.

Swot, “Hey Pesh tell the old fart we are real!” Sand quits flying out the grave. An old Bedine levers himself out. The group talks to the Bedine and compare notes. This is the Sapphire Sentinel. Ben is able to activate it. The group decides to travel deeper in the desert of Anauroch in hopes of finding clues to the last city of Mastaba. Ben is studying the sign language of Sappy and after two hours is able to fully communicate with the Sentinel.

Along the way the meet Curly, Shemp, and Curly Joe. They are three cyclops.

Swot, “I rip off my shirt. Flex my muscles and show them by tattoos. Can I roll an intimidation?”

DM, “Why not.” Sigh. The three cyclops seeing a half-naked barbarian with foul words on his fore head. And Adult content on his back decide to leave the group alone.

Later on, and the first set of exhaustion checks which may mean anything, they mean up with two other Taxbaxi. Ok, they were Rakshasa and lasted three rounds. Reading the book Ben sees a familiar landmark. A worm tunnel. The tunnel leads to a magical chamber. But to get to the chamber they have to go through a purple worm. This is where Swot was eaten. Tigra was eaten. And nearly Kait was eaten.

(Note Kids laughing at Daddy’s demise is fun. The kids were rolling for most of the night for my attack on the pcs. Also, they always hit Swot at least once.)

Tigra was able to do enough damage to get NEARLY upchucked but Wormy kept its meal. After the death of Wormy, the mural room was discovered which told another tale the Sappy and Prince Ham. (Unreliable narrators.) But due to the Bedine being present the map to Mastaba unlocks automatically. Taking a long rest, they leave the next morning.

(DM just dropped the exhaustion rolls. Between no time period for the adventure, Swot’s 2 x travel speed and other stuff; I tossed it until the final battle.)

Along the way, they do meet a clan of Chwinga who are feeding a dragon turtle name Ogruhl. Ogruhl has been trapped here for millennia, restrained by magic chains. Ogruhl was the prisoner of a cruel Netherese wizard. They group cannot figure out how to free Ogruhl. Sappy grabs Ben by the head and shakes him over the chains which releases the prisoner. As Ogruhl and friends go to leave the desert.

Ben, “Hey since we freed you can we get a lift to the city?” (Heavy DM Sigh. Well, that kills all the rest of encounters except the last big one.) With their Dragon Turtle Tank, they loot the town of Mastaba but a magical sandstorm stops Turtle Power. The group is wondering how to get in through the Sandstorm when Sappy casts dispel magic to open a tunnel to the tomb. The tomb is ziggurat. As they are scoping out the view, three scorpions and four wights explode out the sand attack the party. Swot for some reason is the main target. (GO KIDS!) During the second round a Storm Giant Skeleton walks out the tomb with the door locking behind him. A few rounds later the warm up monsters are dead. (DM suggests the scorpion and wight get +4 bonus to hit.) Swot picks the lock on the tomb. On the first floor nothing. The go down to the subbasement. Nothing. Well, there is a nice painting of the dragon destroying the town.

Kait, “That is not a painting.” The Evil draoclich Zikzokrishka attacks concentrating Swot or Sappy. Less than two rounds later the dragon is dead. The group loots the treasury and finds lots a magic which the dm will list later.

The group proceeds to the second subbasement. And suddenly discovers the wish scroll is glowing. New murals are on the hallway to the subbasement. The murals repeat the important scenes from the groups adventure. Last Mural gives the party three results.

Result one open the tomb for the Netherese scroll. Gain the scroll a legendary story item. Find the Golem. Result two let the Golem save Prince Ham. Result Three use the wish scroll to bring Hammy back to life. The group chooses…….

Result two. The Golem opens the tomb and takes Prince Ham into the afterlife with the scroll. The sun shines out of tomb on to our nice.

Ben, “Result four. I use the wish scroll to wish myself back to my home planet!”

Group, “WHAT?” Ben Tennyson explains his pc is from another planet and wants to get back. Rules look up later about using wish spells. How to use percentage dice. And what is needed to use spells above your level.

DM, “You need a 14 or better.”

D20 is rolled. It is in the air. It is bouncing on the table.

DM, “YOU ROLLED A 4. Spell failure. You do not go home. You do not pass go. You do not collect two hundred dollars. But you can take this Smoothie as consolation prize.”

The End.

DM Notes. Some of monsters are push overs even for an average party. I cheated and gave extra attacks to the Storm Giant Skeleton and Dragon. The Golem can cast Dispel Magic three times. Which is basically a gimme if the players get stuck. If the group plays nice with the NPCs and Sappy this is an easy adventure.

Remove ads