DDAL Jasper DMs Lost Mines of Phandelver

jasper

Rotten DM
Lost Mines of Phandelver Session 1

Wolfish Rogues

Day 1

PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 9 Capture 0 Escaped 4

Gain a level, 80 GP, 10 downtime days

I have a super weak group of two Jasper Rogue 1 and Horton Rogue 1.

The Rogue duo are driving a wagon of questionable ale and beer their drinking buddy Gundren “Honest” Rockseeker had asked them to deliver to Phandelver. Around noon they come across an obvious ambush. Horton scouts ahead and discovers the dead horse which are functioning as road block, were Bundren and Sildar’s horses. They take out one goblin and the other flees.

Examining the site two bodies were dragged northwest and an empty map case is under one horse. They lead the oxen driven wagon into the woods following the goblin and body dragged tracks until the woods get too thick for the wagon. They tie off the oxen and follow the tracks to a brook which varies in width and depth as little as five feet to as much as ten feet. They spy a goblin behind a heavy thicket of kudzu.

Horton, “Hope it is not Killer Kudzu.”

Jasper, “If it was the goblin would be dead. I just got a wonderful idea.” She reaches into her pocket for her playing cards.

Horton, “Not the idea that got us banned from Vegas,”

Jasper smiles, “Trust me. Excuse me Pvt Pyle of Goblin Company Wilson. Dice. Dice. Dice. I know it boring. Boring. Just so boring on guard duty. And you know that Sgt Carter is not around to make you behave. I aim to misbehave. Do you aim to miss behave? Bet you can’t can beat me in bones. I bet you a Slim Jim. What you going to do?”

Pvt Pyle being dash, confused, and weirded out by Jasper bets his horse Jerky. And wins even when Jasper throws her cheating d6. Pvt Pyle bets his jerky against Jasper’s Beef Stew C rations.

Jasper, “Hey where did those come from.”

DM, “Shut it. The DM is writing.”

Jasper is also keeping up some patter and questioning Pyle. Until she mentions the ambush point and Pvt Duke. Pyle goes for his sword but with Horton being in stealth (23 really. 23 hides at freaking first level Sigh). Horton releases his arrow catching Pyle in the forehead. Jasper steals.

Jasper, “Um hum!”

Jasper recovers her swag and loots the body of the goblin. They drag him into the kudzu. They enter the brook and following into the cave. Finding a kennel, they feed and befriend a wolf. They also listen in to Lt Klarg about the captives at small air hole which connects the kennel to HQ. They light a torch and get lucky as they go deeper into the cave complex. Spying a guard on a bridge they dash into a side tunnel. Getting lucky again the side tunnel branches north and south. The south side leads to kitchen and torture chamber, and the north curves back to east. Hearing their friend being torture, they plan to distract the goblins with a wolf howl. Jasper hides in an alcove and Horton around the corner. It takes a couple of tries but the first goblin is distracted and is killed as he turns the corner to face Horton. The second goblin is shot in the back just before he turns the corner. The distraction does not work a third time.

Jasper feeds the wolf another Scooby snack and hides under its belly like Ulysses. As she is approaching Pvt Griffin and Sgt Carter, she leaps on to the wolf’s back and fires an arrow. (Nat 20 23 points OH QUICK counting.)

Jasper, “25 points”

Horton, “I did 14 points to the 7-point goblin.”

DM, “Rogues. Rogues. You both deadly. And I think I may have to do a dice check.”

Sildar is saved and has the following information. The three Rockseeker brothers (Gundren, Tharden, and Nundro) recently located an entrance to the long-lost Wave Echo Cave, site of the mines of the Phandelver’s Pact. Klarg, the bugbear who leads this goblin band, had orders to waylay Gundren. Sildar heard from the goblins that the Black Spider sent word that the dwarf was to be brought to him. Sildar doesn’t know who or what the Black Spider is. Gundren had a map showing the secret location of Wave Echo Cave, but the goblins took it when they captured him. Sildar believes that Klarg sent the map and the dwarf to the chief of the Cragmaws at a place called Cragmaw Castle. Sildar doesn’t know where that might be, but he suggests someone in Phandalin might know. Sildar’s contact in Phandalin is a human wizard named Iarno Albrek. The wizard traveled to the town two months ago to establish order there. After the Lords’ Alliance received no word from Iarno, Sildar decided to investigate.

Telling the goblin family members to keep quiet for five minutes. The group escapes. They lose the wolf to wild about a mile outside the cave system.

The dice seem to love the players during this session.

jasper

Rotten DM
Lost Mines of Phandelver Session 2

Brief Cases

Day 2-7

PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 28 Capture 2 Escaped 5

Gain a level, 80 GP, 10 downtime days

I have a strong group and very strong group at the last battle. Hidey Jasper Rogue 1, Horton Rogue 2. Rolen Ranger 1 New player to D&D, New player to Adventure League, and builds dungeons. Simon Eldritch Knight 4. Slammer Kobold Fighter 2. Ithkul Sorcerer 2. Rose (?) Cleric 2.

The group pulls into Phandelver and the town is built on ruins. They can see people pulling bricks from the old castle to build their homes. Stopping of at Barthen’s Provisions they update Elmar Barthen on his missing friend Gundren Rockseeker. He is saddened and just as he mentions they should go to Cragmaw castle Little Sally pipes up they would losers if they did so because they are fresh out of basic. Horton chases Sally off. (Okay the hint of them being too low level didn’t work, the DM will explain it to them. Elmar does mention the Redbrand Ruffians are trying to take over the town. The group leap at the mini quest.

The Brief Case of Redbrand Rumble.

Slammer, Jasper, Rolen, and Simon enter the tarpaper bar. And start and insult fight with the ruffians. Roger Ruffian start calling them puppies and Jasper comes back with insults which shut up Roger (and the DM.) The ruffians pull bokkens (Wooded Swords) to teach the puppies a lesson. However, they become Sad Puppies as Roger and two of his friends die and Bob escapes to mansion. Not seeing Owl, the Owl familiar following him.

The Brief Case of Mayor and his Deputies

Harbin Wester (aka Boss Hogg) is kind of upset with the adventures crashing the town dive bar. But since the adventurers said they will take care of the Ruffians, he deputizes them. He orders them to take out the Orcs on the Wyvern Tor trail. Stopping for a short rest they head out.

The Brief Case of Wyvern Tor

Rolen is happy he finds the orcs’ trail the first hour. Moving slowing they sneak up on the orc camp. The look out does not see them. The camp is protected by a sticker bush wall (5 feet movement to get through). See one orc in the outpost, one ogre due its height and about 7 others they stop for a brief plan. Snipe the orc. Snipe the Ogre. Kill or capture the rest. Jasper snipes the orc out the outpost and climbs up it. Horton starts sniping the ogre and the rest follows. The group see and hears the ogre bellow in pain. Horton dashes up the outpost and steps on top of Jasper.

Jasper, “Hey I hiding here. Didn’t see my mini.”

Horton, “Nope and the DM is not caring we are sharing the same square.”

DM, “Yea I roll with that.”

The rest of group crash through the thicket once the ogre drops. With a sleep spell successfully cast in the correct manner two orcs are captured. (During the ruffian fight Ithkul tried to sleep the ruffians knowing their hit points.) The group returns to town to pick up more mini quests.

The Brief Case of Old Owl Mining Tower

Daran Edermath an old adventurer has been watching the Redbrand Ruffians. He knows the mansion has at least 12 Ruffians. Up to 3 bugbears. One mage name unknown. Glassstaff the leader class is unknown. He also mentions Old Owl Mining encampment has been overrun by a dozen zombies. This would be good experience taking on large combats.

(Rose the Cleric has join the group.)

It is two days to Old Owl the mine has a tower protecting it. The tower is mostly down but does have a dozen zombies.

Simon, “CHARGE.”

Rolen, “Fall back”

Simon, “CHARGE. I CAN CHARGE IF I WANT TO.”

DM, “A Dozen zombies and one sleeping mage.”

A few rounds later except for a lone zombie which fled due to cleric locking down the group with a turn the encounter is over. The group returns to town.

A Brief Case of the Brief Case.

Horton has a freaking old briefcase it is older than anyone but the DM and Horton. It occasionally has pc fall out the bottom. We have been getting tired of his briefcase. Simon bought him a new briefcase. We made him transfer his pcs into the new briefcase before the start of the game and toss the other one in the trash. BRAVO SIMON.

Mini Quests the group know about.

Sister Garaele, who oversees the Shrine of Luck, Conyberry and Agatha’s Lair page 28. Reward 3 potions of healing and silver comb.

Phandalin Miner Exchange Owner Halia Thornton Kill Glassstaff and recover documents 100 GP reward.

Alderleaf Farm. Carp (son) has found a secret tunnel where three really ugly football linemen came out. Qelline (father) thinks Reidoth the Druid may know the exact location of Cragmaw castle. Ruins of Thundertree page 30.

Linene Graywind Bandits of Cragmaw Castle Part 4 50 GP reward

Find the Cragmaw Castle Harbin offers 500 GP if you find the castle and clear it out.

Sildar can not find his wizard friend. And his faction offers 200 GP to get rid of the Redbrand threat.

Redbrand Ruffians have the town’s woodcarver family captive.

Notes. Keep track of the gold offered as we will be under new AL rules next week. I will post the rules changes as I get them.

jasper

Rotten DM
Lost Mines of Phandelver Session 3

Redbrand Ruffed Up

Day 8-9

PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 38 Capture 3 Escaped 5

Gain a level, 188 GP 2 silver, 6 copper, 10 downtime days. You don’t have to take the level but you get the other stuff.

Magic Items 3 potions of Healing, Augury Scroll, +1 longsword Name “Talon”, 2 potions of invisibility, staff of defense, Fireball Scroll, Charm Person scroll.

Note All Magic items duplicate except for Story Items. Your inventory is unlimited but you can only bring 5 consumables, 5 common magic items, and 1 magic item into the adventure.

I had a strong group of six which dropped to five. Vicks Armstrong Monk 1 brand new player to D&D and Adventure League. Griph the Wood Elf Ranger 3. Valsar Stantbrooke Paladin 3 both these are newish to AL. Papa Pugi Druid 3. Horton rogue 3. Slammer Fighter 4.

Thanks, Valsar for being treasure keeper during the game.

The deputies check out Alderleaf Farm and Farmer Qelline and his son Carp. Carp had seen three well dress, clean shaven, and well wash Alabama Line men. Or creatures who look smarter, and bigger than Alabama Quarterbacks come out from a tunnel about a week ago.

Horton, “Show us the route you took to the tunnel young Carp.” Carp gets a gleam in his eye. He takes through at blackberry patch. Up one tree and down another. Through a strawberry patch. Through a second blackberry patch.

Horton, “CARP. This is the same blackberry patch. Show us the entrance to tunnel.”

Carp, “IF you ADULTS would say what you mean. YOU asked the route I took to the Tunnel. Maybe ADULTS need to work on their communication skills.” Note he says this outside of melee range. But he takes them the tunnel entrance.

Papa and Slammer look at the prints outside the tunnel and say Orc tracks but everyone else say Bugbear tracks. After a brief discussion they enter the tunnel.

At the end tunnel then meet, greet, and defeat a Nothic. There in the old Scooby Mansion. The mansion is nearly falling down as a good blow to one of the four columns in the former main hall would bring the rest of the house down. The group decides to clear the east side of the mansion first. They find some beaver pelts, crowbars, and hard tack in a store room.

Heading east they come to the crypts and destroy some skeletons but curiously do no wake up the guards in the next-door slave pens. Because the DM did not read that part. Still exploring east Slammer and Griph nearly fall into a trap. But they are able to jump over it and belay Horton across. Coming to a false wall, Valsar head butts it and collapses into the front entrance of the mansion. As Horton is fishing out a getaway satchel three ruffians take exception to this. And take exception to dying. The group loops back to check out the armory and prison cells killing the prison guards.

Moving to clear out the west part of the house they sneak up, beat up, and capture the wizard they heard of. In fact, it is Sildar’s former friend Iarno who has joined the Redbrand Ruffians. During questioning he reveals the following. The Black Spider is a drow (dark elf).

The Black Spider sent three bugbears to help Iarno keep the population of Phandalin under control, but the Redbrands have managed without them. The bugbears know the way to Wave Echo Cave, but Iarno does not.

The Black Spider is searching Wave Echo Cave for the Forge of Spells. Dwarves and gnomes of the Phandelver’s Pact used the magical forge to fashion powerful magic items.

No other members of the Lords’ Alliance know of Iarno’s betrayal.

The bugbears fled once they heard the wizard was captured but did reveal the location of Cragmaw castle.

Side quest finished. Redbrand Ruffians Rubbed Out. Rescue woodcarver’s wife.

Side Quests still open Mirna’s Heirloom in Ruins of Thundertree page 30

Sisters Garaele Banshee Bargain page 28.

Cragmaw Castle page 35 may have a clue to Wave Echo Cave.

jasper

Rotten DM
The no limit to treasure is interesting. I have to assign someone to track the loot. And I created a spreadsheet to total the loot gp. I had one 11 year show up with his dad. His dad was more interested in getting his son to play and learn the system. The dad wants a kids only table, but I told him we don't have enough dms and kids to do that. Also told him to just buy the PHB, Starter and some of Tier 1 modules on DMs Guild until he knows the kid will stick with the game.

jasper

Rotten DM
Lost Mines of Phandelver Session 4

Castle Cave Clear

Day 10-14

PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 83 Capture 6 Escaped 5

Gain a level, 475 gp 5 sp, 10 downtime days.

Magic Items Potion of Healing *5, Scroll of Silence, Scroll of Revivify, Boots of Striding and Springing, Wand of Magic Missiles, Spider Staff

Story Items Sildar’s Gear.

I had an average group of four Slammer Rune Knight 4. Horton Rogue 3, Ranger 1. Papa Pungi Spore Druid 4. Dory Cleric 4.

The group snuck up and into Cragmaw castle avoiding the lookouts in the two towers. Flanking right they surprise the right tower. However, the right tower guards were able to give the alert which brought the front half of the castle guards down on them in waves. The Spore druid and Horton took center stage in the combat. But Dory was able to capture two of the goblins alive. After some gentle questioning the group got the manpower layout of the rest of the castle. They snuck toward the back and was able to surprise the hall guards. But this combat drew in the rest of the castle. The only thing left alive at the end of the second combat was the owlbear which the druid walked out the front door and told it to go home.

Slammer was able to find the deed to the castle and with a little bit of persuasion got the Mayor of Phandelver to sign the deed over to him. Also in the loot was a map to Wave Echo Caves.

Travelling on to the Wave Echo Cave the group discussed tactics. Since only the human Horton did not have darkvision, Papa changed his spell list on the way. Entering the cave complex Slammer took charge of directing the group which way to go. (Note everyone else playing are DMS who have ran the book.)

They find a dead dwarf with a sign on it. Beware the Black Spider this could happen to you.

Horton, “What forget to loot the magical boots off the dead body?” He said as he looted the books.

The group climbs down into the cave system due to the booming echo of the waves which is pounding the cave system somewhere they have advantage on sneaking. (And lazy dm decide to go theatre of the mind unless the floor plan would be important.) Travelling East they ignore the bat cave and open the door to some former barracks were private Ghoul. Private Second Class Ghoul, and jarhead Ghoul were snacking on the dry bones of former airmen. The group quickly dispatch the privates and continue deeper into the complex. Horton is not happy when he nearly gets slimed. Um Jellied when a ochre jelly falls almost on him. They jam up the jelly.

Continue north, they find and loot a dead body at the bottom of sea pool. Continuing north they surprise some bugbears. One immediately flees and goes for help. As they are killing the first group of bugbears, the Black Spider arrives with Gundren as a prisoner. Knowing the spider is bluffing, Slammer tells everyone to shot him. After a quick combat they rescue Gundren and retreat.

Spider Staff The top of this black, adamantine staff is shaped like a spider. The staff weighs 6 pounds. You must be attuned to the staff to gain its benefits and cast its spells. The staff can be wielded as a quarterstaff. It deals 1d6 extra poison damage on a hit when used to make a weapon attack. The staff has 10 charges, which are used to fuel the spells within it. With the staff in hand, you can use your action to cast one of the following spells from the staff if the spell is on your class’s spell list: spider climb (1 charge) or web (2 charges, spell save DC 15). No components are required. The staff regains 1d6 + 4 expended charges each day at dusk. If you expend the staff’s last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the staff crumbles to dust and is destroyed.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
I had trouble running this module. Some of it was lack of players and the how late we were get started. I would try to start at 630 PM and Generally did not start till after 715 PM. And even with notes on paper and written in the book I could not remember friendly NPCs. ETc. Slammer was the only player (everyone else was a dm) at the table, so we forced him to start making decisions for the group. And since he wants to play Witchlight he chose to retreat with rescue and forgo the rest of the caves.

Also parts of the module need a little rewriting for new dms. The first ambush can go wrong quickly. The dragon CR 8 going up against at best a level four group.

Remove ads