D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford: “We are releasing new editions of the books”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So first it was 1D&D (One Dungeons and Dragons), then RD&D (Revised D&D), and now its 5e 2024 D&D (or for short 24D&D vs 14D&D?).
Ugh. No. One D&D is the name of the playtest, not the revised core rules (just like D&D Next isn't the name of 5e). WotC has never called the upcoming revision as "Revised D&D". What they have actually said is that the will differentiate the rulebooks with the publishing date—e.g., PHB (2014).

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
No. In most games, it just means fairly minimal changes. D&D and PF are not representative of the larger RPG industry.
Alternatively, given the dominance of those two things relative to the rest, the RPG industry is at odds with the way the vast majority of players understand and use the term.

Why is "number of games published using X convention" more of a relevant standard than, say, market share or customer base?

mamba

Legend
No, it doesn't revise, it adds
From Tasha's:

"The Beast Master in the Player's Handbook forms a mystical bond with an animal. As an alternative, a Beast Master can take the feature below to form a bond with a special primal beast instead."

"PRIMAL COMPANION 3rd-level Beast Master feature, which replaces the Ranger's Companion feature"

That is no different from other optional revisions, like the new PHB.

The new PHB is not the same. It is not the "Optional Player's Handbook", it's the new Player's Handbook going forwards. It's not going to be optional when they stop selling the old one.
agreed, for new players it won't be optional. For existing players it very much is however. Any existing group can choose to stay with 5e or not.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Ugh. No. One D&D is the name of the playtest, not the revised core rules (just like D&D Next isn't the name of 5e). WotC has never called the upcoming revision as "Revised D&D". What they have actually said is that the will differentiate the rulebooks with the publishing date—e.g., PHB (2014).
Which, to me, is honestly the worst option (other than sticking with "One D&D," because of how openly corp-speak-y that is.) Because both things--5e (YEAR) and "One D&D"--are holding up what seems, to me, like a blatantly false pretense on the hope that customers are sufficiently pliant and unquestioning to never actually think about said pretense.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Alternatively, given the dominance of those two things relative to the rest, the RPG industry is at odds with the way the vast majority of players understand and use the term.

Why is "number of games published using X convention" more of a relevant standard than, say, market share or customer base?
Because the term had a preexisting meaning long before WotC decided to abuse the term. It looks like WotC are course correcting.

I'll still vote for D&D Snow Leopard.

Nah, Pathfinder already has it all over snow leopards. They even have a pirate version with an eyepatch!

Pirate Leopard.png

From Tasha's: "The Beast Master in the Player's Handbook forms a mystical bond with an animal. As an alternative, a Beast Master can take the feature below to form a bond with a special primal beast instead."

That is no different from other optional revisions, like the new PHB.

That. Is. Not. A. REVISION.

That is an alternative. Revisions replace things. That's how that works. I don't know how to explain this more simply: alternative rules are not "revisions", but rather just options. Please, please stop confusing and conflating the two.

agreed, for new players it won't be optional. For existing players it very much is however. Any existing group can choose to stay with 5e or not.

They could do that with an edition change! The difference is now we have two sets of classes to increase confusion if someone decides to bring an old book to the table.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Which, to me, is honestly the worst option (other than sticking with "One D&D," because of how openly corp-speak-y that is.) Because both things--5e (YEAR) and "One D&D"--are holding up what seems, to me, like a blatantly false pretense on the hope that customers are sufficiently pliant and unquestioning to never actually think about said pretense.
I don't share your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads