D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford: “We are releasing new editions of the books”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well isn't that what's happening.

This is closer to a big DLC path to a game than a new game in the series.

Gods and Kings and Brave New World changed Civ V but it was still Civ V.. Not Civ VI.

WOTC Stop being Old people and explain it like modern folk.

2014 is Vanilla.
2024 is the First Expansion.
2030 will be the 2nd Expansion
2034 will be D&D 6th edition
Describing it like a major videogame does, with patches and expansions, would be an ideal way of doing it.

World of Warcraft and other MMOs have often gone through much bigger changes than D&D has, and only a handful of very silly people tried to insist the games should be considered entirely new ones after that happened.

Describing it like a major videogame does, with patches and expansions, would be an ideal way of doing it.

World of Warcraft and other MMOs have often gone through much bigger changes than D&D has, and only a handful of very silly people tried to insist the games should be considered entirely new ones after that happened.
Problem is, that all those silly people frequent the same forum...

Yeah, their counterproductive communications and marketing strategy really waves a lot of leadership red flags to me.
Right. If I were a competitor, I’d be taking careful notice and preparing a massive product blitz with good communication and customer interaction. Heck, though I hate to go there, I might even been tempted to run ads doing a comparison of how badly they’re doing and what you’re get from my company.

Note: No, I’m not in the entertainment sector. I have no dog in this fight, except seeing self-inflicted errors being a pet peeve of mine.

Clint_L

Hero
This is quibbling over useless terminology. They're officially not calling it a new edition, but that doesn't actually mean anything. Hell, people can't even agree on how many "editions" of D&D there actually are. The official books are almost certainly going to be "Dungeons & Dragons Revised" or something to that effect.
I would bet you any money that you are wrong. They've already said, repeatedly, that going forward the official books will just be called Dungeons and Dragons, or D&D. And they have very good reasons for finally getting rid of the old editions paradigm: it keeps dividing their player base and undermining their branding - it's even created competitors, like Pathfinder.

They aren't going to undermine the whole point of the project by slapping an unneeded "revised" label on it and confusing the issue yet again.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm tired of finishing & fixing 5e. These new books are not likely to have much value to me if the rules themselves remain unchanged. People who want the rules to remain as is already have the books.

Wotc has been inching towards taking a baby step with rules changes in the rules glossary section but I'm not at all confident they will actually follow through.

I'm tired of finishing & fixing 5e. These new books are not likely to have much value to me if the rules themselves remain unchanged. People who want the rules to remain as is already have the books.

Wotc has been inching towards taking a baby step with rules changes in the rules glossary section but I'm not at all confident they will actually follow through.
Kobold Press and EN Publishing are certainly trying to do what WoTC seems incapable of doing.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
World of Warcraft and other MMO's have expansions, not editions. If WoTC said called One D&D an expansion of 5e, there might have been less confusion all around. Instead, they rolled a 1 several times and hoped no one would really notice.
Part of me thinks that WOTC fears that calling OneD&D and expanson of 5e will confuse people and them not realizing that atleast 75%of d&D fans are gmers and understand the term "Expansion" 10x better than the words "Edition" or "Revision".

I mean I could beat money more D&D fans deeply read the latest changelog of a patch of their 3rd favorite game than the DMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads