D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford: “We are releasing new editions of the books”

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEB

Legend
But you can tho
This is the relevant passage, right?

When playtesting the new version of a class, you can use a subclass from an older source, such as the 2014 Player’s Handbook or Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything. If the older subclass offers features at levels that are different from the subclass levels in the class, follow the older subclass’s level progression after the class lets you gain the subclass.

What they don't explain here is what happens when your subclass started at level 1 or level 2. Do you get your level 1-3 features all at once at level 3 in the One D&D class? Do you lose the level 1-2 features and only get stuff you would have gotten from 3 forward?

And if the old subclass level progression doesn't sync up with the One D&D subclass feature levels, do those become dead levels?

Did they explain this more thoroughly outside UA? Genuinely asking.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
What they don't explain here is what happens when your subclass started at level 1 or level 2. Do you get your level 1-3 features all at once at level 3 in the One D&D class?
that is how I read it

And if the old subclass level progression doesn't sync up with the One D&D subclass feature levels, do those become dead levels?
I’d say yes

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is the relevant passage, right?

What they don't explain here is what happens when your subclass started at level 1 or level 2. Do you get your level 1-3 features all at once at level 3 in the One D&D class? Do you lose the level 1-2 features and only get stuff you would have gotten from 3 forward?

Did they explain this more thoroughly outside UA? Genuinely asking.
Yes and yes, for now. Based on what they have laid down, however, the final product will likely have guidance on jow to move the Levels around (Ivedome it already, it's not hard).

JEB

Legend
Yes and yes, for now.
Wait, yes to which? You get 2014 subclass levels 1-3 all at once at 1D&D level 3, or you don't get 2014 subclass levels 1-2 and just get options from level 3 forward?

Though now I'm wondering if there's a third interpretation, you ignore the One D&D subclass slots entirely and use the complete 2014 progression for your subclass.

Again, maybe they went into more detail in a video or something?

Based on what they have laid down, however, the final product will likely have guidance on jow to move the Levels around
I certainly hope so.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Should it? I like subsystems. The right tool for the job and all that. Do you remember the part where different classes are actually better or worse at attacking?
Yea, it should. It doesn’t have anything to do with subsystems.

3/.5e managed different classes having different chances to hit just fine, and having subsystems, all while also having the entire system run on d20+mods against DC.

THAC0 is needlessly silly for no benefit.
Yes and yes, for now. Based on what they have laid down, however, the final product will likely have guidance on jow to move the Levels around (Ivedome it already, it's not hard).
Very easy, but I think it’s actually C, according to what the playtest says.
Though now I'm wondering if there's a third interpretation, you ignore the One D&D subclass slots entirely and use the complete 2014 progression for your subclass.
Yep. Which is a dumb way to do it, but I don’t really care as it’s a hack to make the first part of a playtest work.

What will be much more likely is that you’ll gain 1-3 at level 3, and then at each base class level after that you simply gain the next level of subclass benefits when the base class says you do. If you run out of subclass features, pick a bonus feat, and if you run out of subclass levels on the base class, you just get the last level at whatever level it says in its description.

Works for 2014 subclass with 2024 base, and works other way around.

R_J_K75

Legend
I mean, you can see the packets now.
My point is this. Will 1D&D be backwards compatible with 5E, probably, But with lineages, class features, feats, spells, weapon properties etc changing, will it be practical to do so probably not. If I understand correctly as of the last playtest aren't feats no longer considered optional? Hypothetically, if I was starting to DM a game of 1D&D and had 6 players excluding myself and 1 of those players decided "eh I'm just gonna play a 5E PC", I'd probably tell them to take a hike unless they made a real convincing argument. I wouldn't want to pull double duty reading/referencing 2 sets of books. The playtests and the community's feedback is not the be all and end all, I am certain that yes they will definitely take it all into consideration but OTOH I can almost guarantee that the final playtest and actual releases will be slightly different. At some point the playtests and surveys will close but that does not mean the final design is complete. Of course, this is all just my opinion, and I could be glaringly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads