D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford: “We are releasing new editions of the books”

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am not obfuscating a new edition, I am saying that WotC is very clear about what 1D&D is and isn’t.
I don't know if you mamba are trying to obfuscate anything (cool I know that word from WoD) but I do feel that WotC is... or to take the term Gamer girl used "mudding the waters"
Do they have an agenda? Not the word I would use, they have a goal and they build 1D&D to match that goal.
I mean out of everyone involved I would say the only CLEAR agenda is WotC... the agenda to keep selling for next year AND sell big on the new books.
That is the difference to all the people who do have an agenda that results in them ignoring or twisting what WotC is saying
no I would say we are looking at what they are doing separate from what they are saying and seeing they don't line up (IMO).

For real fun, you needed to determine what 5/2 attacks per round meant. That made Thac0 sound like Sesame Street math...
oh man... is that 3 attacks round 1 2 attacks round 2 or 2 attacks round 1 and 3 attacks round 2? that was a HEATED debate at 2 different local cons in the 90's and at my college gaming club.

Remathilis

Legend
oh man... is that 3 attacks round 1 2 attacks round 2 or 2 attacks round 1 and 3 attacks round 2? that was a HEATED debate at 2 different local cons in the 90's and at my college gaming club.
The debate was so heated that it was on the Great D&D Trivia Quiz Contest in Dragon Magazine, and the Designers couldn't agree when the 3rd attack happened. They ended up calling the question a wash.

this seems pretty much an attack on people that disagree with you. I am NOT reporting it hopeing I am reading it wrong. But are you saying that if we think this is middle ground waffeling we are trying to "hurt wotc"?

I'm not attacking anyone. I'm stating an observation that there are some people who are doing exactly what I said. (My observation includes the umbrage and hate that can be seen in social media commentary, in addition to forums.) The only people that I am describing are the people who do those things. If a person identifies as Never-Wizards (which may be from legit anger and frustration), then sure, I am acknowledging their existence. It's not my place to try and deny them their frustration. Do I disagree with them? Let's just say that while I respect others' feelings about being wronged by Wizards, that will not prevent me from trying to clear up what I see as misunderstandings, or debating what I perceive could be willful misinformation campaigns. For instance, I called out Black Flag for how they blatantly misrepresented Wizard's plans to offer themselves as the replacement for 5E because 5E was going away. But I'm not a Never-ToV. I may crib some ideas from the game. I like the design early version of the character sheet.

As for relevance, there are certainly people who when I read their posts, they seem to always be in opposition to anything Wizards-positive, casting shadow and doubt no matter the topic. It often seems intended to be subtle, but I watch the patterns. I've been trained to have an idea of who won't be engaging me in a meaningful way if I chime in. For posts that are not subtle, I also see people bashing the designers and doubting their integrity. If someone wants to troll me, that really gets my goat. It seems some people have to get their last negative word in to make sure everyone knows that things will never be hunky-dory. (They even do it in Positive (+) threads.) When I see a negative post I disagree with, I have to decide if it is worth my time to debate it, or does that person show no evidence of being open to an opposing position. I would totally understand someone calling me a Wizards Toady because I can get past the OGL debacle after Wizards blinked and bowed to Community pressure, and that I like a lot of the playtest material, and am often on the side of the designers. I know that I can frustrate people when I agree that 2014 Warlock Pact Magic based on Short Rests are a flawed design that need to be overhauled.

And finally, there are many things that are crystal clear to some of us that others might call "muddled" and if the forums efforts to provide clarification are dismissed, it feels like an agenda without an open mind. Yes, I have an agenda too. I want to feel joy in my community. I love the hype train and theorycrafting and excited discussion. I want my Community to criticize constructively, praise based on merit, consider reasonable arguments, and adapt their understanding as clarifications are made. For instance, I've had my mind changed on many things, like the frustration 2014 Warlock fans are feeling. I like the half-caster playtest version, but after debating it on these forums, I am now way more open to alternate ways to handle Pact Magic as long as it isn't technically "short rests." I've even offered some alternative ideas.

mamba

Legend
isn't the entire discussion speculation at this point?
we have the playtests, we know what WotC has been saying for the last year, so no

Discussing what WotC will say a year from now is however

I believe that this is a new edition even if they say other words. You believe it is not. Neither of us have an agenda outside of talking about the games we all enjoy
that may be true for you, I am not so sure that is true for all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads