• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford discusses what are the 2024 Fitfh Edition Core Rulebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okay, to what?

Are you saying that I can have a continuation of a game if it explicitly doesn't continue from what came before? Because that's all that short statement says.

Elucidate man! Where do you disagree?
I was trying to politely disengage from the conversation. I don’t have anything more to say at this point, sorry.

I'm not making a judgement call if it's something someone would have a problem with. I'm making an observation that "as a continuation of the game", a cleric subclass should be a cleric subclass.

Basically, if there are things hasn't been replaced but no longer works, there's no valid way to call it a continuation.
yeah this is why I was told I was lying when I said in the 2014 phb warlock cantrip and cantrip a warlock can take meant the same thing, and if they put out warlock cantrips in 2024 that could be read honestly as a cantrip a warlock can choose at level up... but then I was told no one could ever read it that way.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I was trying to politely disengage from the conversation. I don’t have anything more to say at this point, sorry.
Got it. For future reference, "politely disengaging" from the conversation usually doesn't look like telling the other person they are wrong on everything. That fits neither "polite" nor "disengaging". Politely disengagement looks more like saying what you just did above, or even walking away without trying to get in a last word.

How is an update not new material?

What you quoted didn't say this, and Im not the one trying to twist linguistics around. Updates require deprecation by definition:

noun
/ˈəpˌdāt/
an act of bringing something or someone up to date, or an updated version of something.

verb
/ˌəpˈdāt/
make (something) more modern or up to date.

New content =/= update, even if video games erroneously conflate the two all the time.

If the old options are still optionally available for your game, it's OK if it doesn't balance as well as you'd prefer against the new stuff.

If WOTC says the content is compatible, a DM denying its use is homebrew. Oberoni says hello.

Balance is not the only criteria for success here.

Success isn't the concern here. DND is going to sell because its DND.

It doesn't have to happen.

It does if you're going to try and call the game an "update" rather than a new edition. You may or may not have missed that that question is the overall reason for why we're having this argument.

OR people don't care as much as you do about balance issues and have fun playing it that way despite you viewing it as not acceptable by your standards.

Whats funny is that in another topic Im currently being argued with for seemingly not caring about balance.

Its just that same cynicism rearing up again; someone does not need to be personally invested in something to still acknowledge its an issue and should be avoided. I don't have to care about balance to be considerate of those that do and argue accordingly.

Like, I literally don't play DND anymore and won't be in the future, and so final is that decision that Im writing my own game; doesn't mean I can't argue for what I think is going to be better for the long term health of the game, especially given for my own purposes I need to be considerate of preferences other than just my own.

I haven't spent hours working on streamlining my own games mechanics because I would have a problem juggling all its parts.

Stop trying to force a TTRPG into a programming analogy.

It was easy and breezy to make that analogy. No force required. :)

Blue

yeah this is why I was told I was lying when I said in the 2014 phb warlock cantrip and cantrip a warlock can take meant the same thing, and if they put out warlock cantrips in 2024 that could be read honestly as a cantrip a warlock can choose at level up... but then I was told no one could ever read it that way.
I must be "no one" then, because I think you have an absolutely valid point.

This whole "it's not an edition change" seems like such an odd hill to fight on. Maybe because they didn't want to impact their 2022 & 2023 sales of books. But regardless of the direction of OneD&D as a game, I feel they are trying to mince words about this continuation. It's like they put a definition of "backwards compatible" in the UA, but it doesn't actually meet the real world definition of backwards compatible. I wish they would just own up, say it's a half edition shift like 3ed to 3.5ed, and we could focus on it as a game instead of being distracted.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

This whole "it's not an edition change" seems like such an odd hill to fight on. Maybe because they didn't want to impact their 2022 & 2023 sales of books. But regardless of the direction of OneD&D as a game, I feel they are trying to mince words about this continuation. It's like they put a definition of "backwards compatible" in the UA, but it doesn't actually meet the real world definition of backwards compatible. I wish they would just own up, say it's a half edition shift like 3ed to 3.5ed, and we could focus on it as a game instead of being distracted.

But ... the whole discussion (or argument) over whether it's an "edition change" is pointless. There's the actual publishing definition- which is entirely unhelpful, because no one has ever used that.

Beyond that? There has never been a single accepted and consistent use in the history of D&D for what is, or isn't, an edition change. It's literally all marketing speak. Even the "half edition" is just something that they happened to do once, because it occurred too soon for them to call it a new edition.

When people are arguing over this, they are really arguing over the underlying substance of the changes. But they are using the nomenclature of editions in order to argue this.

In the end, it doesn't matter whether or not, for marketing reasons, they decide to call this 5e24, or 5.1e, or 5.5e, or 5e Essentials, or 5e Super Errata'd, or 5e50 (for 5e 50th Anniversary), or 5e Plus Tasha's But Cleaned Up, or Advanced 5e, or BladeRunner 2049.

Instead of discussing the nomenclature of the game (which will be whatever they decide on), maybe focus on the changes? And since they've told us what they are naming it (based on the year), it really does seem strange to continue to have this discussion?

From my POV, YMMV, IMO, etc.

Last edited:

the worst part is I think they have at least hinted at if not out right said they mean the adventures and DM side of things will work mostly with minimal effort, not that player faceing options will work, let alone work with no effort to convert.

Blue

But ... the whole discussion (or argument) over whether it's an "edition change" is pointless. There's the actual publishing definition- which is entirely unhelpful, because no one has ever used that.

Beyond that? There has never been a single accepted and consistent use in the history of D&D for what is, or isn't, an edition change. It's literally all marketing speak. Even the "half edition" is just something that they happened to do once, because it occurred too soon for them to call it a new edition.

When people are arguing over this, they are really arguing over the underlying substance of the changes. But they are using the nomenclature of editions in order to argue this.

In the end, it doesn't matter whether or not, for marketing reasons, they decide to call this 5e24, or 5.1e, or 5.5e, or 5e Essentials, or 5e Super Errata'd, or 5e50 (for 5e 50th Anniversary), or 5e Plus Tasha's But Cleaned Up, or Advanced 5e, or BladeRunner 2049.

Instead of discussing the nomenclature of the game (which will be whatever the decide on), maybe focus on the changes? And since they've told us what they are naming it (based on the year), it really does seem strange to continue to have this discussion?

From my POV, YMMV, IMO, etc.
One of the points that has remained consistant between all editions of D&D was that older mechanical material was no longer just "drop in" to use. You could convert it, but it wasn't RAW to use.

And that's the point we are disucssing here. Is this a continuation, where we can continue to use all of the previous material? Is it a continuation where a large amount of the material has been replaced but we can continue to use the rest? Or is it a "continuation" where some/all unaddressed mechanical material doesn't continue forward? Because the last doesn't fit the definition of a continuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads