D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford discusses what are the 2024 Fitfh Edition Core Rulebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I mean, I really wouldn't be surprised if they did, people can be persnikity. I spent too much time learning German, and then studying Medieval texts, so I don't even notice if random words get capitalized or not, frankly.
Seems like such a strange thing to get a bugaboo about when there's like actual meaningful design stuff to give feedback on. But, I suppose I care a lot more about design than the average D&D player

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Seems like such a strange thing to get a bugaboo about when there's like actual meaningful design stuff to give feedback on. But, I suppose I care a lot more about design than the average D&D player
Well, they give people those 200 word comment boxes, I'm sure a lot of feedback they get is absolutely shocking.

I went on a 200 word rant in the last survey about how "Barbarian" is a terrible name for a Class, and offensive in several ways. But provathey got more Grammar Nazi rants.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was actually excited about unified class progression. :(

But if they don't use the design space anyway, it does not really matter.

I am still in favour of subclass choice at level 3.
Yes, I think it had good potential. But, if it makes the transition smoother, and helps with compatibility, it's not worth forcing the change.

It does explain why they hadn't put the minimal work in yet to offer a way to translate older Subclasses: theybwanted to know if they were going to just revert before going through the trouble.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yes, I think it had good potential. But, if it makes the transition smoother, and helps with compatibility, it's not worth forcing the change.

It does explain why they hadn't put the minimal work in yet to offer a way to translate older Subclasses: theybwanted to know if they were going to just revert before going through the trouble.
I wonder if it might have gone over better if they had put that work in first.

And supporting five settings with one base game rule system is...not a big deal.

Im not talking about supporting the settings.

Im talking about the literal games themselves, intact and identical to their original releases, bolted onto Skyrim with no updates or meaningful changes to the original games.

Ie, no updated graphics or voice acting, no bug fixes or changes. Its just literally the old games laid over top of Skyrim, with the resulting Frankenstein treated as one "seamless" game.

That is the analogy that was made, and I would be surprised if you still don't get why that is not a good idea.

It is new material though

So you're agreeing that this isn't merely an update like WOTC is asserting.

Most importantly, if 2024 comes out and people use it along with their 2014 material without much of an issue, then what? Will you then agree your prediction was flawed or will you tell those people they're not doing what they say they are doing?

Im not concerned about whether or not I "win", and I think its rather cynical to assume what I think is going to turn out to be a mess just boils down to a childish internet cred thing.

The fact of the matter is, if the old options are not deprecated then there will be much more severe class disparities, as 5e is not getting updated or corrected, and as such its unbalanced parts are not going to balance well against 1DND.

This the entire crux of why I said deprecation has to happen one way or another. 5e is not going to be updated so long as it remains intact as a valid option, and ergo, it will cause balance issues. And if it is to be updated, either 1DND replaces it wholesale, or 5e gets reprinted as a separate game with its own updated separate from 1DND.

There is no other option here. Either you'll have an unbalanced mess or 5e gets deprecated.

You cannot patch a bug and simultaneously keep it intact in the same system.

Aldarc

Legend
Assuming, of course, TotV also has removed pact magic and redone wild shape. If they insist on keeping both these mechanics like the 2014 PHB, they're no better and we're back to where we began.
Even if TotV removes pact magic, it doesn't mean that its replacement in TotV will be to your liking either.

You cannot patch a bug and simultaneously keep it intact in the same system.
This is assuming people can´t edit, because it might be seen as insult too make decisions for themselves.

You can offer a newer variant (like in Tasha) and keep the old one. People can make a decision which to use. I guess at some point, people will use the newer variant and thus 5e (2014) will be deprecated. But until then there will be groups that use either or both at the same time.

Last edited:

This is assuming people can´t think for themselves.

You can offer a newer variant (like in Tasha) and keep the old one. People can make a decision which to use. I guess at some point, people will use the newer variant and thus 5e (2014) will be deprecated. But until then there will be groups that use either or both at the same time.

Oberoni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads