D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford discusses what are the 2024 Fitfh Edition Core Rulebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Four books is perfect, plus one specialty product (like a boxed set). It really hits a perfect sweet spot. Anything more breaks people. Seriously. I mean, obviously everyone buys only the books they want, but there's a lot of people who want "them all, except for one or two that really don't do it for me, or if I can't afford them all, then I'll only get my top few."

What happens there is that the middle gets cut out. I call this the "Crossgen Effect" because I first noticed the phenomenon with a startup comicbook company called Crossgen. What happened was: Crossgen published four comics per month, and very nearly everyone who liked Crossgen bought them all. Then they launched four more books, and very nearly everyone bought them all. Then they launched four more books (total 12 per month) and very nearly everyone cut back to their favorite three (on average) but now spread out across the whole line of books. The whole company survived something like three or four years.

They had them at four. They had them (but shakily) at eight. They totally lost them at twelve. A rotating six would probably have been the sweet spot.
I've felt that effect as a customer: at a certain point, the volume becomes overwhelming. Even on a busier schedule the last couple years, D&D hasngone over the line, bit...they should be careful.

Vaalingrade

Legend
This is fun.

In trying to avoid saying the E word, they started a weird culture war over even considering what is an edition.

Like it's not enough to just say one doesn't think this is an edition or increment of one. Nope, people need to just steamroll in the moment anyone says anything of the like accusing them of all sorts of stuff and gaslighting about how nothing of the like has ever really been the case. Just slinging blood and mud and bile.

But hey, at least it's not an edition war; it's just the continuation of all the other edition wars.

None of this says you need to deprecate. I just says you're publishing something which is an updated version. You can have an updated version and a non-updated version exist in the same simultaneously without anything bad happening. It's not a video game and does not operate by video game standards.

No? If it's labelled as optional, the DM is the one making the option.

We're back to semantics.

OK. Why are you having this discussion then? I accused you earlier of behaving like you're here to win a linguistics argument, you denied it, but here you are explaining you have no interest in the game we're discussing anymore. Consider for a moment I might be right - you're here playing a different game.

Ok 👍

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
No one is forcing you to harp about how this is an edition change instead of focusing on the game itself
WotC is, by causing the confusion I was talking about.

What I've been told by people by two people on this very thread is that everything will be active. I can pick an choose the rules I want where they vary, and we can have conflicting RAW. That the 2014 feats, without requisites will be just as valid as a 2024 feat with the same name. That I can pick the 2014 or 2024 version of a spell or race or subclass. It's like right now there's a version of races that's live in a number of books and the same races live in MP:MM which didn't (for the first time) errata the previous so both are valid choices.

That's a heck of a lot different than consider 2024 versions as updates/errata where if something has been reprinted the new version takes precedence, but anything untouched would still be live, which would also be a continuation. This is basically 5e up to this point, and when there have been updates like Tritons getting darkvision they errata'd it in a bunch of books.

Vs. it being a clean edition cut and you can't use things they haven't come out with 2024+ versions of, so you can't take Elven Accuracy as a 1st level feat with your background because it has no level requirements.

These are vastly different games, and it needs to be clarified which we are getting.

mamba

Legend
WotC is, by causing the confusion I was talking about
I don’t buy it. WotC is not creating confusion, they have been very clear from the start. One D&D is not a new edition, compatible with 5e and can be mixed with it.

The only ‘confusion’ I see is people willfully ignoring this.

These are vastly different games, and it needs to be clarified which we are getting.
this has been clear from day one, for everyone who wanted to listen

Kalmi

Explorer
For real: nobody other than WotC in 2003 has ever released a "half-edition," cuz it ain't a thing!
Unfortunately this isn't the case; the popular Japanese TTRPG Sword World is currently on its 2.5 edition, explicitly called as such, as you can see on its cover art:

NEOBK-2253927.jpg

WotC is, by causing the confusion I was talking about.

What I've been told by people by two people on this very thread is that everything will be active. I can pick an choose the rules I want where they vary, and we can have conflicting RAW. That the 2014 feats, without requisites will be just as valid as a 2024 feat with the same name. That I can pick the 2014 or 2024 version of a spell or race or subclass. It's like right now there's a version of races that's live in a number of books and the same races live in MP:MM which didn't (for the first time) errata the previous so both are valid choices.

That's a heck of a lot different than consider 2024 versions as updates/errata where if something has been reprinted the new version takes precedence, but anything untouched would still be live, which would also be a continuation. This is basically 5e up to this point, and when there have been updates like Tritons getting darkvision they errata'd it in a bunch of books.

Vs. it being a clean edition cut and you can't use things they haven't come out with 2024+ versions of, so you can't take Elven Accuracy as a 1st level feat with your background because it has no level requirements.

Which one of those doesn't invalidate your existing books, because they've been pretty clear all along it's that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads