• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

JollyDoc's Shackled City: FINAL POST [Updated 11/2!!]

Nightingale 7

First Post
Heh,yeah,I can relate.I'm DMing a group through the Adventure Path.The party is still in Jzadirune(They want to explore EVERY SINGLE ROOM.They are driven positively mad at the sheer amount of traps,and empty gnomish bedrooms :lol: ).
The party includes a half-orc barbarian,a human warlock(oddly enough a front liner,with MWP:Greatsword and Hideous Blow),a human cleric of Lathander,a human rogue and an elan Psion.
The psion drives me NUTS as he keeps wasting most of the enemies with augmented Mind Thrusts and Energy Rays,though to be frank,the worst foe they have faced was the Hammerer/Dark Creeper team in the room with the invisibility fields.This automaton was nasty!It got the barbarian in the negatives,and left the Warlock at 2 hps before the psion electrocuted him with Energy Ray.We'll have to see how they'll fare against the ogre-tugh and the stone spike.And I don't want to even think about Kazmojen :] .

Back to the Psionics conversation:What is your position on the Wilder Gfunk?The ridiculously small amount of powers hurt,but he can really excel at what he does.I'm thinking about playing one in an Eberron campaign.Even ignoring the obvious blast-them-all capabilities,by taking Expanded Knowledge(Astral Construct) you can create a fully augmented/Wild Surged Astral Construct that is equal to,or better than your party tank,at pretty much every level!

gfunk

First Post
Nightingale 7 said:
Back to the Psionics conversation:What is your position on the Wilder Gfunk?The ridiculously small amount of powers hurt,but he can really excel at what he does.I'm thinking about playing one in an Eberron campaign.Even ignoring the obvious blast-them-all capabilities,by taking Expanded Knowledge(Astral Construct) you can create a fully augmented/Wild Surged Astral Construct that is equal to,or better than your party tank,at pretty much every level!

Never seen one in play, but they seem pretty darn good! Basically the Wilder is an enhanced version of the Sorcerer. Decent skill points (with ACTUAL Cha-based skills), d6 HD, Medium BAB . . . what's not to like?

I took a Psion mostly b/c I wanted powers faster and didn't want to wait until 6th level to take Astral Construct.

You can make some truly awe-inspiring tankish builds using Wilder/Elocater and Wilder/Slayer builds. Hmm . . . sounds like I'll have to try 'em out sometime!

Friendly bump - why is this thread not on page 1? Here's hoping for a new update this weekend! ;)

@ Joachim, could you post the final stats for Grimm? I would really like to see how he ended up!

JollyDoc

Explorer
Neverwinter Knight said:
Friendly bump - why is this thread not on page 1? Here's hoping for a new update this weekend! ;)

@ Joachim, could you post the final stats for Grimm? I would really like to see how he ended up!

I, for one, think this post should always remain on page one, but alas...

Sorry, no post this weekend...hopefully by next though.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Nightingale 7 said:
I,on the other hand,will repost my request(scratch that,I meant desperate plea!) to JD for a full list of the team stats!Pleeeeease?

I don't personally have that info, but I will pass your request (once again) on to the rest of the crew.

R-Hero

Explorer
17th level Ikon

Neutral Good Male Goliath Fighter 12/Goliath Liberator 4 (Level 17) Medium/Monstrous Humanoid 7’7” 303 lb Hit Points 235

AC: 28 (Flatfooted: 26 Touch: 14,) +2 vs reach weapon
Init +2; Base Speed 30ft (20ft Med armor)
+23/+18/+13/8 attack melee, +18/+13/+8/+3 ranged, BAB +16/+11/+6/+1

Saving Throws
Fortitude +23 Reflex +14 Will +14

STR 24 +7 DEX 14 +2 CON 27 +8 INT 12 +1 WIS 10 +0 CHA 10 +0

+28/+23/+18/+13
3d6+ 2d6+17 Damage +3 Holy Adamantine Goliath Greathammer Critical 19-20x4 +2 to Sunder Attacks

+25/+20/+15/+10
2d6+1d6+10 Damage +1 Silver Alchemical Trident of Shock Critical 20 x2 10 ft reach

Skills

Climb +16 Hide +6 Intimidate +16 Jump +24 Listen +4 Move Silent +6 Spot +5 Sense Motive +2 Use Rope +5 Speak Language +1 (Giant)

Goliath Liberator Class Features
Favored Enemy +2 for Listen, Bluff, Sense Motive, Survival and Damage vs Giants
Avoid Thrown Weapons & Reach +2 Dodge AC vs melee attacks not adjacent to Ike
Equal Footing = Improved Trip with +4 to Str vs Large or Larger opponents

Feats: 7 Fighter/6 General

(Free) Armor, Shield & Simple Weapon Proficiency
(G) Bull-Headed,
(G) Lightning Reflexes,
(G) Iron Will
(G) Track
(G) Exotic Weapon Prof. Greathammer
(G) Greater Weapon Focus: Greathammer
(F) Weapon Focus: Greathammer
(F) Weapon Specialization: Greathammer
(F) Greater Weapon Spec. Greathammer
(F) Improved Critical: Greathammer
(F) Weapon Focus: Trident
(F) Power Attack
(F) Blind Fight

Weapons +1 Trident: Shock, Silver Alchemical +3 Greathammer, Adamantine, Holy
Armor: +5 Chainmail: Fortification, Light (25%)
Shield: +2 Heavy Steel Shield, Animated

Wondrous
Amulet of Health+4
Belt of Giant Strength+4 Cloak of Resistance+5
Ring of Protection +2
Boots, Striding and Springing
Gloves of Dexterity +2 Hat of Disguise**
Ring of Evasion*

Goods: Backpack; Bedroll; Winter Blanket,; Fishing net, 25 sq. ft.; Flint and steel; Grappling hook; Piton x2 Rope, silk (50 ft.) Waterskin; Common Lamp; Oil (pint x2)
Ale, gallon x2 (2 sp); Rations, trail (per day x2) Iron Pot,

Trophies: Giant Drinking Horn. Tiny Demodan Skull (puppet), Stone Arm (medusas), Clockwork gear (Inevitables), crumpled helms x2 (Blackguard & Drow single hit crit's) Ceremonial Dagger (Shatterhorn yuanti) :)

Wow, this guy really packs a punch! But why would Ike need a "Hat of Disguise"?

I hope to see some of the others here as well - but did you only get up to 17th level at the end? Or did JollyDoc not give you any End-BBEG XP?

Joachim

First Post
Sorry I never re-posted him after level 14. It was at this point that I got the Smoking Eye, and if I had posted him with those stats it would have ruined some of JD's surprise.

Grimm Grakka (Fighter 6/Exotic Weapon Master 3/Planar Champion 7)
Dervish of the Planes, ECL 18

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Large Giant [Half-Ogre, Oerthian]
Hit Dice: 16d10+80 (167 hps)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 35 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +8 natural, +11 armor, +5 shield, +1 insight), touch 13, flat-footed 34
Base Attack/Grapple:+16/+30
Attack: +3 Holy Cold Iron Spiked Chain +29 melee (2d6+20+2d6 holy)
Full Attack: +3 Holy Cold Iron Spiked Chain +29/+24/+19/+14 melee(2d6+20+2d6 holy) or Flurry of Strikes +27/+27/+22/+17/+12 (2d6+20+2d6 holy)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./20 ft.(with Spiked Chain)
Special Attacks: Flurry of Strikes, Attack Ethereal, Exotic Reach, Exotic Trip
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Favored Plane (The Abyss), See Invisibility at will, Planar Survival, Ethereal Jaunt 3/day, Plane Shift 1/day
Saves: Fort +24, Ref +18, Will +15
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) +18, Listen +22, Craft (Weaponsmith) +6
Feats: Blindfighting, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Stand Still, Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain), Weapon Specialization (Spiked Chain)
Environment: The Pomarj (previously), Vilhon Reach (currently)
Organization: Solitary, Murder (6-7)
Challenge Rating: 18 (Exp: 143,000)
Treasure: Items
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

This massively muscled humanoid before you stands just over eight feet tall, has drab olive skin covered in strange tatoos, and brandishes a massive spiked chain in his hands. Obviously of giant-ish stock, he observes you cautiously, a spark of cunning in his eyes. His left eye has been removed, and in its place you see puffs of acrid smoke.

Grimm Grakka was born the product of a rampaging ogre warrior and the poor victim of the ogre's lust. Grimm's mother died during childbirth, and he was raised by her husband, a common blacksmith from the Pomarj area of Oerth. Grimm was recruited by Barret Tremean, a Paladin of Heironeous, to join the Swords of Light. The Swords of Light were a band of good adventurers sworn to fighting all fiend-kind.

Having received his indoctrination into the Swords of Light, the half-ogre is now a warrior of the planes, seeking to beat down evil outsiders wherever they may reside!

Grimm stands just over 8 feet tall and weighs 425 pounds. He speaks Common (Oerthian), Common (Faerunian), Celestial, Draconic, Giant (Oerthian), Infernal, and Abyssal.

Combat

Grimm attacks using his spiked chain. He prefers to attack from the full extent of his reach with the long weapon, using his flurry of strikes ability and attacks of opportunity to decimate his foes. His modus operandi includes utilization of Potions of Heroism and Shield of Faith (+5) prior to entering major combat (giving Grimm an additional +5 to AC, as well as +2 to hit, skills, and saves).

Flurry of Strikes [Spiked Chain]: When wielding a spiked chain in both hands, Grimm may elect to use a full attack action to make a flurry of strikes. When doing so, he may make one extra attack in the round at his highest attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as do all other attacks made in that round and until Grimm's next turn.

Favored Plane (The Abyss): Grimm has studied the natives of the Abyss extensively. Grimm gains a +1 bonus of Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against an Abyssal native. Likewise, Grimm gains the same bonus on weapon damage rolls against Abyssal natives. In addition, Grimm gains a +1 on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks when interacting with Abyssal natives (yeah, that's gonna happen).

See Invisibility (Su): Grimm has the ability to see invisibility, as per the spell cast by a 5th level sorceror. This ability allows Grimm to see ethereal creatures.

Attack Ethereal (Su): Grimm can transform his spiked chain into a material force effect at will, enabling him to attack creatures on the Ethereal Plane. If Grimm is wielding a magical spiked chain, this ability eliminates the 50% miss chance when attacking an incorporeal foe. This ability begins and ends as a free action.

Exotic Reach [Spiked Chain]: Grimm threatens opponents with cover (except total cover) and may attempt attacks of opportunity against targets with cover.

Exotic Trip [Spiked Chain]: Grimm gains a +2 bonus on the Strength check to trip an opponent when using his spiked chain (making his total check +17).

Planar Survival (Su): Grimm is persistently under the affect of the equivalent of an Avoid Planar Effects spell.

Ethereal Jaunt(Sp): Grimm can use Ethereal Jaunt 3 times per day.

Rip Portal (Su): Grimm can use the equivalent of a Plane Shift 1 per day.

Smoking Eye Template (Su): +1 (insight) bonus to hit and on all saves. Imbued with Evil. Lie in state.

Magic Items of Note

+4 Cloak of Resistance, +6 Belt of Strength, +4 Bracers of Health, +4 Headband of Intellect, +3 Holy Cold Iron Spiked Chain, +2 Adamantine Spiked Chain, +3 Full Plate of Moderate Fortification, +3 Animated Large Steel Shield, Ring of Freedom of Movement, Ring of Evasion, +4 Amulet of Natural Armor, Boots of Striding and Springing, Deep Red Ioun Stone (+2 Dex), Dusty Rose Ioun Stone (+1 insight bonus to AC), Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone (+1 luck bonus to hit, saves, skills, and checks), Bag of Holding I

Other Items

12 Potions of Cure Light Wounds, 12 Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds, 12 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds, 8 Potions of Heroism, 8 Potions of Shield of Faith (+5), Locked Gauntlet, Portable Ram, Masterwork Spiked Chain

Last edited:

Remove ads