• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jon Peterson: Does System Matter?

D&D historian Jon Peterson asks the question on his blog as he does a deep dive into how early tabletop RPG enthusiasts wrestled with the same thing. Based around the concept that 'D&D can do anything, so why learn a new system?', the conversation examines whether the system itself affects the playstyle of those playing it. Some systems are custom-designed to create a certain atmosphere (see...

D&D historian Jon Peterson asks the question on his blog as he does a deep dive into how early tabletop RPG enthusiasts wrestled with the same thing.

Based around the concept that 'D&D can do anything, so why learn a new system?', the conversation examines whether the system itself affects the playstyle of those playing it. Some systems are custom-designed to create a certain atmosphere (see Dread's suspenseful Jenga-tower narrative game), and Call of Cthulhu certainly discourages the D&D style of play, despite a d20 version in early 2000s.

AnE#37-simbalist-system.jpg

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
Is this thread now a discussion on the exact -- but, importantly, separate -- meanings of the word "system" and "matters"? I think we've reached peak internet, folks! We did it!
I dunno, we're well on course for hitting 2,000 posts on the appropriateness of halfling agriculture in a standard DnD setting. I think that debate could out-internet this any day of the week.

practicalm

Explorer
As we dance around the meaning of matters, I want to add another concept into the discussion.

Intent of the system or design has an impact on how both the GM and the players approach their games.

Some examples. First Edition Paranoia was a bit of a mess. Here was something that was to be humorous and light in a Computer run world but the first edition game rules did not make it easy to keep it light. The resolution system was more complicated than the game needed. It was played but the intent of the design did not match the intent of the rules.

Ghostbusters RPG is a great example of intent of rules matching the intent of design. Toon as well.

I would argue that while Champions (later Hero System) was a fun superhero game, it never was able to capture the feeling of comic books until you tweaked the character to make it so. Champion fights tended to be a slugfest of running one side out of END. Or finagling some NND power to stun your opponents or killing powers to kill. I think Champions worked because it created the kind of game people were willing to play but it didn't really match the source material quite as well as some later games.

D&D is about power acquisition. Gaining levels. Gaining magic items. Gaining wealth. All to increase power.
This is why I don't like playing modern or future settings in D&D because I feel the intent of the rules runs counter to what I want the intent of a modern game setting to be.

James Bond RPG works for spy games because you are already assumed to be fairly competent and the agency you work for is going to make sure you have the tools for the job (or at least the tools it thinks you need)

The players (including the GM) are coming together with the intent of building a type of story. The story might shift during play as opportunities and challenges are taken and responded to. Rules should support the intention of the story the players are building.

I think a lot of tables don't think about what story they are interested in or leave it up to the GM to pick the story intent. People in this discussion are probably an exception. I like to ensure session 0 makes it clear the kind of story that is planned and people need to build characters to support that. If they do not wish to, they should find another game. Many people will just go along with the flow and so D&D works for them because their story is gaining power. They want to do cool stuff. Not realizing there are games where they can start with their character being able to do that cool stuff.
I find that I want players to think about where they want their character to go not just in gaining power but how the character will develop over the campaign.

pemerton

Legend
Snarf Zagyg said:
As far back as the birth of the hobby, people have argued about whether the system* matters, and whether the first system (or the predominant system) conditions players to approach other systems with certain expectations. In the 70s and early 80s, these arguments were held at tables, in magazines, and at conventions; later, these same arguments were later held via BBS or usenet, still later through various websites and forums (including this one).

Yet, the hobby continues. And the arguments recycle periodically, sometimes given different names, sometimes with enhanced vigor, sometimes with science-y sounding terminology to give cover to the same debate, yet the argument is essentially unchanged.

At a certain point, many gamers move past these scarred theoretical battlefields to concentrate on the joys of actual play.

Does the system matter? Maybe. A little. But not that much.
I'm not really sure what the point is here. Are you arguing that there has been no change or development in RPGing since 1974? If that's not your argument, then what is it?

Do you think designers like Luke Crane and Vincent Baker and Greg Stafford are/were not interested in the joys of actual play?

I have active campaigns in multiple systems - Classic Traveller, MHRP/Cortex+ Heroic, Prince Valiant, Burning Wheel. These are different systems. They produce different play experiences. They are enjoyable in different ways.

It would be strange for an advocate of cinema to argue that technique doesn't matter. Or to suggest that there's no difference between Star Wars, Manhattan and The Seventh Seal - "they're all just cinema!"

In fiction, there's a difference between (say) LotR, REH Conan and Graham Greene.

In RPGing, I can testify from experience there's a big difference between (say) the essential light-heartedness of Prince Valiant and the demanding "weight" of Burning Wheel. And both are different from Classic Traveller, which in play will reveal relatively little about the characters themeslves and is much more focused on the external world they inhabit.

For the record I think system does matter. Just nowhere near as much as adventure design/story and group.

It has an influence, I just don’t believe it makes as much difference as the designers of those systems would like to believe (to return to the original article)
Because we generally play games that are made by the people who are telling stories that we like. I find Dungeon World utterly unimpressive in that regard. As would my group.

Pathfinder 1e, D&D, WFRP have all released great stories.
most systems have an element of pre-written stories whether by a GM or publisher. There is a reason for that.
I don't know what the basis is for your quantitative claim.

But anyway, the whole notion of adventure design and telling stories is something that is system-dependent, so you've already shown that system does matter. None of the games I've mentioned in this post, as played by my group, involve designed adventures or released great stories. And none of them, played as written, will support such things. (MHRP claims to, but there is a huge tension between that claim and the actual resolution procedures - you would have to just ignore these procedures to get the game to fit into a designed adventure.)

I would also add: my active games are all with the same group. The differences between them aren't driven by the group, they're driven by the systems.

Here are some simple differences that matter:

* Classic Traveller has almost no mechanics that pick up on, or respond to, or affect, the commitments or "inner life" of the character;​
* MHRP/Cortex+ Heroic does not incorporate fictional positioning into resolution unless the participants make the effort, as part of the resolution process, to bring it under the umbrella of mechanics. This produces a feeling of "setting as backdrop" which from time to time gets starkly foregrounded - it was invented for super hero play, but I think also works well for JRRT;​
* In Prince Valiant, "damage" taken simply results - as a mechanical matter - in incapacitation. It is always up to the GM to decide what, in the fiction, follows from that incapacitation, and hence how serious it is and how long it takes to heal. As a general rule, therefore, there is no PC death unless the fictional positioning absolutely demands it (eg the damage results from falling a great height or being swallowed by a dragon or something similar);​
* In Burning Wheel failure rates can be in excess of 50% - this is one cause of the feeling of "weight" or "oppression" punctuated by occasional victory that is (in my view) a hallmark of BW play.​

None of these games will produce a 5e D&D-like play experience.

Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
It becomes more of an issue of path dependency than sort of "system matters."

The reason people play certain sports in certain parts of the world isn't "system matters" and you are conditioned to certain sports; it's because other people play it, learn it, teach it, and there are networks in place. This is true not just within (and between) geographic areas, but within and between socioeconomic groups.

It's easier to simply note that certain features of a game or a rule system tend to develop and become entrenched over time due to path dependency, and that, over time, it becomes more difficult to switch out without completely.

To go to the last point you made; it could be said that D&D (or even editions of D&D, for example) is a certain sui generis style of TTRPG that benefits from being the default. In much the same way that if you get a sufficiently large group of people together, you are unlikely to go to the place that you really want to go eat, but are likely to go to a place that everyone can agree on. Perhaps a place that has a sufficiently diverse menu of options that everyone is familiar with. It might not be anyone's top choice, but everyone will find something tolerable.

Call it the Cheesecake Factory theory of TTRPGs. :)
I don't necessarily want to get in trouble again for saying everything is fine, but everything is indeed fine imo. I mean, 5e has so much going for it (we are on a 5e site now judging by most posts) than one can totally wrap themselves in D&D all day long and never run across old stuff. Fairly impressive the amount of capitalization going on, and definitely not matched by any other system.

The other thing is the sunk cost fallacy (The sunk cost fallacy reasoning states that further investments or commitments are justified because the resources already invested will be lost otherwise.) Which isn't totally false considered time learning, though there are also factors such as a game being well written, and it leads along until one finds it broken, but ultimately easier to fix than to try something different. The other is a game that is solid rules wise, except the writing is bad, so it is difficult to learn.

TheSword

Legend
I don't know what the basis is for your quantitative claim.
looking at the number of substantial scale ttrpg games that have an active GM involved in shaping the story. D&D, Pathfinder, Cthulhu, WFRP, Dark Heresy, the many White Wolf games, L5R, One Ring and on and on. In fact when I say most games, I mean the overwhelming majority of TTRPG.

But anyway, the whole notion of adventure design and telling stories is something that is system-dependent, so you've already shown that system does matter. None of the games I've mentioned in this post, as played by my group, involve designed adventures or released great stories. And none of them, played as written, will support such things. (MHRP claims to, but there is a huge tension between that claim and the actual resolution procedures - you would have to just ignore these procedures to get the game to fit into a designed adventure.)

I would also add: my active games are all with the same group. The differences between them aren't driven by the group, they're driven by the systems.

Here are some simple differences that matter:

* Classic Traveller has almost no mechanics that pick up on, or respond to, or affect, the commitments or "inner life" of the character;​
* MHRP/Cortex+ Heroic does not incorporate fictional positioning into resolution unless the participants make the effort, as part of the resolution process, to bring it under the umbrella of mechanics. This produces a feeling of "setting as backdrop" which from time to time gets starkly foregrounded - it was invented for super hero play, but I think also works well for JRRT;​
* In Prince Valiant, "damage" taken simply results - as a mechanical matter - in incapacitation. It is always up to the GM to decide what, in the fiction, follows from that incapacitation, and hence how serious it is and how long it takes to heal. As a general rule, therefore, there is no PC death unless the fictional positioning absolutely demands it (eg the damage results from falling a great height or being swallowed by a dragon or something similar);​
* In Burning Wheel failure rates can be in excess of 50% - this is one cause of the feeling of "weight" or "oppression" punctuated by occasional victory that is (in my view) a hallmark of BW play.​

None of these games will produce a 5e D&D-like play experience.
I bet all the money in my pockets that the reason these work for you is because of the preferences and tendencies of your group first and foremost. Followed by you and your players skill in telling stories.

Another group dropped into those systems wouldn’t necessarily have the same level of success and yet you could probably tell very similar tales if forced to adopt something else. Do you truly think that the little extra survivability; the little extra difficulty; or the willingness to resolve interactions without rolling dice fundamentally change the the stories you and your players tell.

I strongly suspect that there are many other game systems that would equally satisfy you and your group. It isn’t the system that makes this work, it’s the players and you.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It becomes more of an issue of path dependency than sort of "system matters."

The reason people play certain sports in certain parts of the world isn't "system matters" and you are conditioned to certain sports; it's because other people play it, learn it, teach it, and there are networks in place. This is true not just within (and between) geographic areas, but within and between socioeconomic groups.

On an overall cultural level, sure. But, to find the limit of the sports analogy - for an individual participant in sports, system does matter. This is most easily seen in how few professional athletes can successfully transition between sports. The football linebacker isn't going to be able to compete in swimming, for example.

And, we can then note that, if the culture around them is focused on one sport that they don't care for or aren't particularly good at, maybe a person will find another sport, or maybe they won't play any sports at all.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The other thing is the sunk cost fallacy (The sunk cost fallacy reasoning states that further investments or commitments are justified because the resources already invested will be lost otherwise.) Which isn't totally false considered time learning...

Oh, it is still false. Time learning the first game is already spent, just like dollars spent. It is gone. Staying with the first game will not get you that time back. The question of how much fun you have in the future is not really related to how much time you spent learning a game in the past.

However, getting over the sunk cost fallacy of learning time is part of what I'm talking about - how do you present or structure your game to not elicit the sunk cost fallacy reaction?

Hex08

Hero
System is very important but I didn't always believe that. I finally realized it when I decided to run a Cthulhu (Realms of Cthulhu) game using Savage Worlds and it didn't work out. From a role-playing perspective it was fine; players and game masters roleplaying is not system dependent. Where the problem came in was exploding dice. The final fight at the end, which was supposed to be super challenging and potentially very deadly didn't make it very far into the second round before a player got a lucky shot and destroyed the big bad easily. The exploding dice removed all sense of danger from the game.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads