• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jon Peterson: Does System Matter?

D&D historian Jon Peterson asks the question on his blog as he does a deep dive into how early tabletop RPG enthusiasts wrestled with the same thing. Based around the concept that 'D&D can do anything, so why learn a new system?', the conversation examines whether the system itself affects the playstyle of those playing it. Some systems are custom-designed to create a certain atmosphere (see...

D&D historian Jon Peterson asks the question on his blog as he does a deep dive into how early tabletop RPG enthusiasts wrestled with the same thing.

Based around the concept that 'D&D can do anything, so why learn a new system?', the conversation examines whether the system itself affects the playstyle of those playing it. Some systems are custom-designed to create a certain atmosphere (see Dread's suspenseful Jenga-tower narrative game), and Call of Cthulhu certainly discourages the D&D style of play, despite a d20 version in early 2000s.

AnE#37-simbalist-system.jpg

pemerton

Legend
I bet all the money in my pockets that the reason these work for you is because of the preferences and tendencies of your group first and foremost.
Isn't this a tautology? Ie that what people enjoy is dependent upon their preferences?

Another group dropped into those systems wouldn’t necessarily have the same level of success
Do you mean they wouldn't enjoy it? Or that they would struggle with the technical demands of the system? The latter is probably plausible for Burning Wheel, or even Traveller, but hard to take seriously for Prince Valiant which is mechanically a very straightforward system.

The former seems almost certainly true for some groups, but that is simply because they prefer different things. The fact that the same RPG system won't satisfy different preferences is a demonstration that system matters, not that it doesn't! (In fact this is Ron Edwards main point in his essay on "System Matters".)

and yet you could probably tell very similar tales if forced to adopt something else. Do you truly think that the little extra survivability; the little extra difficulty; or the willingness to resolve interactions without rolling dice fundamentally change the the stories you and your players tell.
I just posted that my group has different experiences playing different systems. "Telling tales" has nothing to do with it.

Here's an episode of play from Burning Wheel:

At the start of the session, Thurgon had the following four Beliefs - The Lord of Battle will lead me to glory; I am a Knight of the Iron Tower, and by devotion and example I will lead the righteous to glorious victory; Harm and infamy will befall Auxol no more!; Aramina will need my protection - and three Instincts - When entering battle, always speak a prayer to the Lord of Battle; If an innocent is threatened, interpose myself; When camping, always ensure that the campfire is burning.

Aramina's had three Beliefs - I'm not going to finish my career with no spellbooks and an empty purse! - next, some coins!; I don't need Thurgon's pity; If in doubt, burn it! and three instincts - Never catch the glance or gaze of a stranger; Always wear my cloak; Always Assess before casting a spell.

<snip>

Aramina mended the dents in Thurgon's breastplate (successful Mending vs Obstacle 1) while Friedrich took them as far as the next tributary's inflow - at that point the river turns north-east, and the two character's wanted to continue more-or-less due east on the other side of both streams. This was heading into the neighbourhood of Auxol, and so Thurgon kept his eye out for friends and family. The Circles check (base 3 dice +1 for an Affiliation with the nobility and another +1 for an Affiliation with his family) succeeded again, and the two characters came upon Thurgon's older brother Rufus driving a horse and cart. (Thurgon has a Rationship with his mother Xanthippe but no other family members; hence the Circles check to meet his brother.)

There was a reunion between Rufus and Thurgon. But (as described by the GM) it was clear to Thurgon that Rufus was not who he had been, but seemed cowed - as Rufus explained when Thurgon asked after Auxol, he (Rufus) was on his way to collect wine for the master. Rufus mentioned that Thurgon's younger son had married not long ago - a bit of lore (like Rufus hmself) taken from the background I'd prepared for Thurgon as part of PC gen - and had headed south in search of glory (that was something new the GM introduced). I mentioned that Aramina was not meeting Rufus's gaze, and the GM picked up on this - Rufus asked Thurgon who this woman was who wouldn't look at him from beneath the hood of her cloak - was she a witch? Thurgon answered that she travelled with him and mended his armour. Then I switched to Aramina, and she looked Rufus directly in the eye and told him what she thought of him - "Thurgon has trained and is now seeking glory on his errantry, and his younger brother has gone too to seek glory, but your, Rufus . . ." I told the GM that I wanted to check Ugly Truth for Aramina, to cause a Steel check on Rufus's part. The GM decided that Rufus has Will 3, and then we quickly calculated his Steel which also came out at 3. My Ugly Truth check was a success, and the Steel check failed. Rufus looked at Aramina, shamed but unable to respond. Switching back to Thurgon, I tried to break Rufus out of it with a Command check: he should pull himself together and join in restoring Auxol to its former glory. But the check failed, and Rufus, broken, explained that he had to go and get the wine. Switching back to Aramina, I had a last go - she tried for untrained Command, saying that if he wasn't going to join with Thurgon he might at least give us some coin so that we might spend the night at an inn rather than camping. This was Will 5, with an advantage die for having cowed him the first time, against a double obstacle penalty for untrained (ie 6) +1 penalty because Rufus was very set in his way. It failed. and so Rufus rode on and now has animosity towards Aramina. As the GM said, she better not have her back to him while he has a knife ready to hand.

There's no way for that to happen in (say) Classic Traveller. Or 5e D&D for that matter.

(When I talk about that happening I'm not talking about the fiction created. I'm talking about the experience of play which, among other things, created that fiction.)

aramis erak

Legend
System is everything in most games. System is what translates the artwork and crappy corebook fiction into player experiences (or fails to).

I'll never forget one of my earliest experiences (in Traveller) when my PC, with great dramatic flair, shot an NPC with a weapon that was described as 'equal to a .44 Magnum', and did two points of damage.

Seven rounds later, after shooting the guy six times (and another PC shooting him the same number of times) the NPC fled.

I nearly quit the hobby after that session, and I did give up on Traveller black box. I never forgot it, though.

If the mechanics cannot deliver, the game will fail.

Some setting, Call of Cthulhu being a prime example, are different; in those games the system is less important than the GM's ability to set and maintain a tone.
Having run a bunch of CT back in the day... that on its face feels fishy as hell.
No corebook for CT has an 'equal to a .44 Magnum' pistol. In fact, Neither does Mercenary.
In the editions I've run, only one pistol, a 5mm body pistol, can do 2 points, as it's a 2d6 damage; the two others are 9mm pistols doing 3d6, and there are no damage modifiers.
So, I decided to do some rules archeology.
The CT 1E damage and listed caliber for the 3 pistols: Body Pistol: 3d6-6 5mm; Autopistol 3d6-3 9mm; Revolver 3d6-3 9mm.
The CT 2E LBBs as presented on the CT CD: Body Pistol 3d6 5mm; Autopistol 3d6 9mm; Revolver 3d6 9mm.
CT's Traveller Book: Body Pistol 2d6 5mm; Autopistol 3d6 9mm; Revolver 3d6 9mm.

So... you GM mis-described the weapon and/or made a poor choice in up-rating to reflect the redesignation.
System does indeed matter—obviously, trivially—unless the GM is only pretending to use the system in question and is actually using the game rules as a cover/pretense for running a freeform game (which I hate—just a bit of personal trauma from my earliest days in the hobby, when I played with a DM who ostensibly ran D&D but clearly didn't care to bother with any rules at all).
Not just yours...
That said, I do take issue with "system does matter" as a slogan, because all too often it's a brickbat being swung at GMs who prefer one system. The unspoken assumption behind "system does matter" is that everyone ought to be using different, bespoke systems for different genres of RPG, and if you use GURPS for everything—or, heaven forbid, D&D for everything—you're some sort of heretic. Variety is a fine thing and all, but I nevertheless get sick of the attitude that playing a variety of RPGs is some sort of gamer-geek requirement.
The thing is, the phrase "system matters" is the shortest phrase that holds the semantic connotations that rules influence play."
Is there any evidence at all to suggest a player is conditioned by the first set of rules they learn to play with? Or is that just one game designers opinion as I suspect it is.
Very little valid evidence, but tons of anecdotal support.
It's not just the rules, tho' - if the group was a "barely uses the rules" GM and players who spent most of the session in character voice, it's going to be a different situation from a "D&D as a tactical miniatures game" with players who describe their characters in the 3rd person.
It's not a straightjacket, but it does have lasting effects - both in terms of expectations, and of how relevant rules are to the playstyle. Not always good ones. For example, me... I started with AD&D ... and with a not-quite minis game approach, and dungeons as press-your-luck. I find that less than interesting these days.
Does 5e really teach people that everything can be killed/overcome? Or is that more of a case of adventure design?
[snip]

It seems to me, that 5e can have level appropriate challenges and particularly difficult challenges just like any other system. It’s adventure writers and DMs that decide difficulty level.
5E isn't "everything can be killed" in any way that all prior D&D's aren't.
It is, however, far more forgiving of allowing yourself to stay in combat at low HP totals than all prior D&D editions...
In prior editions, 0 HP is out and dying. In 5E, there's slightly better than 50% odds of survival without intervention or magic. That has lead to some seriously reckless play.
Nobody said people cannot learn new approaches. That’s a straw man. The essay suggests that often they do not, not that they cannot. Of course they can.
I disagree that people are always capable of learning new approaches; it's sad to say, but there are some who are sufficiently inculcated to ways of thinking that they cannot escape their prior experiences' effects, and those experiences blind them to present room for change.
There aren't that many of them, but... there are reasons the aphorisms "a lion cannot change his spots" and "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" have lasted a long time.
Further, as age progresses, the ability to process text slows down, per recent research. (SciShow Psych ep in last 4 days.)

Yes, system matters.

That's why we have different preferences of editions, some of us play 5e, some play 3.x, some play OD&D, some play AD&D 1e, some play everything in between.

However, I will say that there's a reason that D&D has been so widely adapted to other purposes. . .because while it's not the best possible game for every situation, it usually works at least adequately.

That was the whole point behind so many of the d20 games of the early-to-mid 2000's, that it's quicker and easier for gamers to learn and play a game that's much like a game they already know. . .and if I may be quite blunt, a LOT of games out there have been just awful with their rules.

More than once have I bought a game and thought it had an awesome setting, but the included system was unplayable or generally awful. Designing a game system and designing a setting are two completely different skill sets, and there have been games with good rules, games with good settings, but rarely one with both.

A lot of d20 adaptations of games, like Call of Cthulhu, may not have been perfect, but they were pretty good. . .they were pretty good at getting people to pick up games they never would have looked at before, and they were pretty good at adapting the existing system to the setting and making it work better than whatever they'd try to cobble together on their own.

Oh, it is still false. Time learning the first game is already spent, just like dollars spent. It is gone. Staying with the first game will not get you that time back. The question of how much fun you have in the future is not really related to how much time you spent learning a game in the past.

However, getting over the sunk cost fallacy of learning time is part of what I'm talking about - how do you present or structure your game to not elicit the sunk cost fallacy reaction?
In the case of learning a new game, it isn't always a fallacy, tho'.
In any given case, the question is, "Can the old game do the new setting/campaign/path to an acceptable level?" If yes, then the sunk cost isn't a fallacy; one has a net time cost for the new system which is already paid for the old one.
If no, then the sunk cost is irrelevant.
But as general rule, the knowable answer is "maybe." And so the sunk cost still isn't a fallacy, and doesn't collapse to one until it is tried and fails.
Incidentally, cavegirl has made comments that she's sick of the toxicity of the OSR community and her current Kickstarter ("Dungeon Bitches") runs on PbtA.
The title alone was enough to make me say, "Nope!"
The hover-text blurb reinforced that; not a genre I'm interested in playing. My kids might... but only if they find it from persons other than me. Due to the name, I'm not even going to mention it to my teen nor 20-something.

I really wish people would stop with the intentionally offensive titles and cover art. From where I sit, her work appears just as toxic as several noted OSR authors. Sufficiently so as to not bother looking any deeper.

Having run a bunch of CT back in the day... that on its face feels fishy as hell.
No corebook for CT has an 'equal to a .44 Magnum' pistol. In fact, Neither does Mercenary.
In the editions I've run, only one pistol, a 5mm body pistol, can do 2 points, as it's a 2d6 damage; the two others are 9mm pistols doing 3d6, and there are no damage modifiers.
So, I decided to do some rules archeology.
The CT 1E damage and listed caliber for the 3 pistols: Body Pistol: 3d6-6 5mm; Autopistol 3d6-3 9mm; Revolver 3d6-3 9mm.
The CT 2E LBBs as presented on the CT CD: Body Pistol 3d6 5mm; Autopistol 3d6 9mm; Revolver 3d6 9mm.
CT's Traveller Book: Body Pistol 2d6 5mm; Autopistol 3d6 9mm; Revolver 3d6 9mm.

So... you GM mis-described the weapon and/or made a poor choice in up-rating to reflect the redesignation.

Since your insensitivity to my pain brought us here, I dug as well. The weapon comparison is from p.29 'Antique equivalents'. There, the passage of years took its toll: the revolver is compared to a Colt Python (.357 Magnum), whereas I had remembered it as a .44 Magnum.

Damage 3d6.

So yes, having undone decades of therapy, you have corrected my memory: three points instead of two, equivalent to a .357 Magnum. (although I could have sworn it was two points; perhaps I ran afoul of a house rule).

Still, my point remains: the clunky (boy, having had to check back through the Black Books really brought that back) mechanics did not live up to the expectations in the blurbs. Give that this took place just a few years after the first Star Wars came out, it was especially a let-down: no blasters, and simple gun battles that dragged on forever.

pemerton

Legend
My experience with Classic Traveller is quite a bit different: it plays pretty quickly, and no one really looks forward to getting shot.

I think it's only happened to the PCs three times: a PC got taken down by a rifle shot while sneaking up on an enemy pill-box; a PC was killed by SMG fire; and a PC took a graze while grapping with an NPC to take control of the latter's SMG.

It's possible to roll 2 or less damage for a handgun - 3D-3 can give that result - but it's not all that likely (a bit less than 1 in 20) and equally likely is 13+, which as a first shot taken will knock nearly any character unconscious.

But despite some marketing copy to the contrary, trying to use Traveller to play Star Wars will be basically hopeless. Another example of system matters.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
System is very important but I didn't always believe that. I finally realized it when I decided to run a Cthulhu (Realms of Cthulhu) game using Savage Worlds and it didn't work out. From a role-playing perspective it was fine; players and game masters roleplaying is not system dependent. Where the problem came in was exploding dice. The final fight at the end, which was supposed to be super challenging and potentially very deadly didn't make it very far into the second round before a player got a lucky shot and destroyed the big bad easily. The exploding dice removed all sense of danger from the game.

That's an interesting point.

I think that many people too tightly associate the lore of a game with the rules of the game. For the most part, in classic hobbyist DIY fashion, the rules are simple enough in terms of resolving mechanics, and lore can be changed, modified, or added easily.

For example, there are innumerable examples of people that have modified classic Sci-Fi games (such as Star Frontiers or Traveller) to play a Star Trek or Star Wars campaign. There are countless examples of people that have modified classic RPG rules (B/X, OD&D, 1e, etc.) to play other fantasy settings, whether they go for more "Tolkienesque" or more ersatz Donaldson or Moorcock or May or something else. But it's just as possible to use the ruleset and resolution mechanism of Moldvay and apply it to a cyberpunk setting, or use it for Star Wars.

In that sense, the system isn't that important. Because many times, the classic RPGs tended to have more of a divide between the RP elements and the G elements, and the rules was a way of adjudicating the G elements.

What you illustrate is the issue of the rules providing ways of adjudicating the narrative elements. That tends to be more controversial, so I don't really want to address that in depth. I would just say that some people prefer that the rules remain agnostic as to the narrative elements, and others prefer that the rules specifically address the narrative elements. Put in more plain English, and using your example: there are those that like rules that would allow the big bad to be taken out in one shot, because that would create unexpected and interesting emergent stories, and those that prefer that the rules allow for that not to happen, because certain genres (horror, comedy, for example) are more difficult to maintain unless you there is some ability to ensure that some random outcomes are not allowed.

In my opinion, etc.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For example, there are innumerable examples of people that have modified classic Sci-Fi games (such as Star Frontiers or Traveller) to play a Star Trek or Star Wars campaign. There are countless examples of people that have modified classic RPG rules (B/X, OD&D, 1e, etc.) to play other fantasy settings, whether they go for more "Tolkienesque" or more ersatz Donaldson or Moorcock or May or something else. But it's just as possible to use the ruleset and resolution mechanism of Moldvay and apply it to a cyberpunk setting, or use it for Star Wars.

In that sense, the system isn't that important.
If they have to modify it, the system is clearly important.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In the case of learning a new game, it isn't always a fallacy, tho'.

Oh. Perhaps you misunderstand the fallacy?

A "sunk cost" is a cost that has already been incurred, that cannot be recovered. Sure, you can sink resources into learning a game.

The fallacy is in, "Since I have sunk this cost, I should stick with this product/project." The fallacy is that the sunk cost should have any bearing on how you move forward. In fact, the sunk cost does not increase the likelihood or value of success or benefit going forward.

If your computer is on the fritz, and you paid $400 for repairs and it still doesn't work, that $400 should not be part of the calculation on whether you spend more money to repair the machine, or just get a new machine.

Say you just finished a D&D campaign, and spent hundreds of hours on it. The time and money you spent on that campaign does not tell you whether or not you should pick up Savage Worlds for your next campaign. The next campaign should be analyzed for its own cost and merits, not the costs sunk in the past.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads