Jotunbrud --> Powerful Build+?

Deaths_Fist

First Post
Don't know what to call it yet, but here we go:

Prerequisites: Jotunbrud, Base Attack Bonus +3
Benefit: You can use weapons as if you were one size category larger than you really are, without penalty, and count as one size category larger when qualifying for feats that require a certain size category. In addition, you gain an extra 5' of reach, but attacking into these reach squares is a bit of a stretch, imposing a -2 penalty on all attacks made into these squares.

Does this looks balanced? Horribly broken? I'm open to suggestions. Basically my rationale for this feat is that, being a feat chain, it should be slightly stronger than any ability that doesn't require anything else to take, and Jotunbrud is the equivalent to a human giving up his free feat for a watered-down Powerful Build. I think a feat chain built onto it should have a little more kick.

Any constructive suggestions are welcome.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Way, way too strong, I'd say.

Using the larger weapons isn't a big deal; in most cases that's a ~2 point increase in average damage, comparable to Weapon Specialization (but with EVERY weapon!).
It's the reach that kills you. (More specifically, kills anything attacking you.) It's a huge benefit, the kind of thing that by itself increases ECL noticeably (like flight does). The jump from 5' reach to 10' reach is just incredibly strong, as evidenced by the munchkins who love spiked chains; I've played a Psychic Warrior with a polearm for a while now, and being able to get AoOs as people charge you makes a huge difference.

Compare to Monkey Grip; that Feat also lets you use weapons a size larger, but at a penalty to ALL attacks, and with no bonus reach or size boost for Feats. So your Feat is much stronger than that, and its only drawback is that you have to take another Feat first.

Deaths_Fist

First Post
Yeah, I was worried about that. But dropping the reach altogether doesn't seem worth a feat afterward. At what kind of penalty to-hit would you consider the reach balanced? -4? -6?

Any other suggestions at all?

kris_kapsner

First Post
No need to invent a feat here. It's already out there. Check out Swashbuckling Adventures. It's a D20 varient of the 7th Sea campaign.

The feat is "giant". It gives you a 10' reach and count as a large creature without the negatives to your defense. The only thing it doesn't give you is the ability to use a bigger weapon. But, it does give you a +1 to attack and damage. This feat can be taken as a bonus fighter feat. It can only be taken at 1st level and has only one prerequisite, the feat "brauny".

The feat "brauny" can also obviously be taken only at first level. It gives you damage reduction 2/-.

These feats rock and can form the most powerful combatant at 1st level that I could imagine. Try adding combat reflexes for a 1st level fighter that can dish out a lot of damge when the enemy comes at him. If you start working on spring attack after that, you're a dueling machine.

maggot

First Post
Absurdly powerful. A feat that gives out weapons one size larger would be taken by nearly everyone interested in dealing damage. It is monkey grip minus the to hit penalty. Then you thrown in reach. Wow! Reach at -2 would be extremely good.

Right now your feat is a no brainer. Every 3rd level warrior type will take it.

starwed

First Post
If you want to grant reach with a feat, specify that you don't threaten those squares when it isn't your turn. (And thus can't make AoO into them.)

This should possibly require both Jotunbrud and Monkey Grip as prereqs; then it isn't granting as much.

Deaths_Fist

First Post
starwed said:
If you want to grant reach with a feat, specify that you don't threaten those squares when it isn't your turn. (And thus can't make AoO into them.)

This should possibly require both Jotunbrud and Monkey Grip as prereqs; then it isn't granting as much.

Good ideas, both, but doesn't seem worth the feat investment in the end. Oh well, I really only pondered the whole idea on a lark.

kris_kapsner

First Post
Arkhandus said:
.......Yeah, keep in mind that it's not a D&D product and thus wasn't even made to be balanced for use in D&D. Ergo, it would be just plain stupid to allow it in a D&D game just because it's a feat, that somebody somewhere printed, for some d20-style game, of some other genre.

I don't know how anyone could consider that kind of feat to be fair at all in D&D. Obviously Swashbuckling Adventures must have some significant rules changes and combat differences, or else the designers must've been stupid-drunk when they churned that book out.

Ouch, slamming my favorite campaign world? Ok, I'm new so I won't take offense. Yes, there are many feats within that book that just plain outshine the feats of the PHB for warriors. But, let me ask you this, isn't the wizard a little too powerful compared to fighter anyway. Oh, not at first, but after 5th level or so, the wizard starts to out pace the fighter like he's running on a treadmil. I'd argue that you couldn't build a 10th level or higher fighter that could beat a wizard of the same level without giving significantly more magic items to the warrior. So, what's the big deal if the warrior gets a little juice?

Besides, I'd ask you this, other than the initial attack of opportunity when your opponent has to come to you, what good is that reach without something like spring attack? If you can't get spring attack, you can't keep getting attacks of opportunity from just taking a 5' step back. It does help significantly against spell casters and ranged fighters because they just can't back out of reach before casting or shooting. But, come on, the rules favor those type of characters already far too much. Having something to combat that is quite nice finally.

I have to respectfully disaggree with your thoughts that someone was "stupid-drunk" when they made that book. In my opinion, its about time someone can get some feats that don't just give you a +1 to your defense or a feat that gives you +1 to your attack when you're on higher ground, it's raining out and it's an even day of the month. (a little sarcasm) I'm tired of the warriors getting the shaft on their feats and that book finally puts the fight back in fighter. Agree, disagree, I don't really care. I'm using it and we have a lot of fun. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is the only reason we play the game. Enjoy your campaign. I'll enjoy ours.

Remove ads