Judge rankings after the reset

Lady Diamond

First Post
Hm, quandary. We'll have folks wanting to fire up and play right away after the reset, but we may have a shortage of "ordained" judges ;). I think the Master Judge and higher folks should stay the same, but perhaps the Journeyman judges should be reset down to Apprentice (after the Master Judges have chosen a couple of Journeyman judges and promoted them). The Apprentice judges could be limited to judging the two lower tiers for a time until we have a chance to observe the new rules in action for the lower tiers. Theoretically it's the player's responsibility to know which abilities he/she has to use and how often they can be used. But, we have new abilities in several of the paths.

*clink-clink* two cents

Last edited:

MidKnight

First Post
Di, that's about what I was envisioning as well. Most of the active judges right now (not that there's many left) have a pretty good idea of how the rules work. And, for the most part, there aren't any changes to the method of judging - just the paths themselves. But it's always nice to have someone right there that can give you a clear, concise, answer to any question you might have about the different abilities and powers.

I'm counting on seeing a few new faces in this forum come reset time. They may or may not be aware of what they need to keep track of. They will be the ones with more basic questions about how things work in here. The Apprentice Judges should be able to bring them up to speed and handle those questions.

As long as there are at least a few Master Judges around to answer more complicated questions in a somewhat official capacity, I don't forsee too many problems.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
If it was up to me, I guess I would say Master judges should be demoted to journeymen judges and the journeymen stay where they are.

Theoritically, Journeymen judges are promoted to journeymen based on their ability to advance people right. I will assume that this will not be much of a problem as long as the judges remember the possibility now of advancing more than 1 rank at a time.

Master judges are theoritically made on their ability to handle complex rules questions. Since these are new rules, no one, myself included, as yet demonstrated that ability but I assume actually that most of the active judges we have at the moment have read through the rules and participated in the discussion concerning them and so should advance without too much problem in a short period of time.

As to which tier a judge can handle - that is the players call as to who they are willing to accept. Lady Tsin for instance judged for the very first time in a tournament with higher level fighters, but she had played long enough that it was not really a problem for her to do so.

Lady Diamond

First Post
I saw two Master Judges and a Journeyman judge puttin' on an exhibition of the higher tiers following the new rules and it seemed to go without a hitch *shrug*

With what you proposed you'll have to monitor every match and choose every Master Judge since you'll be the only one left at a higher rank when all the Masters are dropped to Journeymen, lots of work for you. I can also see that this will make sure that all the new Master judges are active.. at least at the start.

I'm not sure it really depends on how much you play, but how much you read and keep up on things that makes a person an effective judge, plus that ability to "drop the hammer" and drop that last flag in a match.. I've seen a few matches get hung up over this.

Oh yeah, and the ability to not show (or harbor) favoritism to one fighter or the other. That sounds pretty important to me.

As far as advancing fighters go, that happens at the end and the judge has plenty of time to compare the fighters' current standings and read up on the new advancements for all the tiers.

Everything's going to be "complex" right out of the starting gate. I'd prefer to have at least a couple of the "Ancient Masters" (heh) still left at that Master rank after the reset.

three cents this time..*clink*clink*clink* :)

Wicht

Hero
Well Lady Diamond, I tend to read all the fights anyway so it won't be that much more work. And for a journeyman to be promoted to Master will still take two Master judges reading the thread and agreeing and since there are only as far as I know two other master judges anyway at the moment it might be just as fast for one to do it as two.

As a judges decision concerning a move cannot be overturned anyway, not by me or by anyone, then the role of the Master Judge is really just that of an advisory position concerning the rules. I anticipate promoting several very quickly anyway if it is agreeable to drop everyone back to Journeyman. I do not want to be the lone voice of authority - but it seems fair since the rules are new to put all the judges on equal footing and then promote according to who is actually currently doing the judging. Reiella for instance was a good Master Judge but she has not judged a lot lately and does not know more about the new rules then say MidKnight.

Wicht

Hero
Lady Diamond said:
Heh, I can hear that "SHADUP NEWBIE" tone.. so.. by all means do it yourself. :) I got other things ta do anyways.

I hope I didn't come across that way :(

sorry.

I really appreciate your opinion, I think you just overestimate the importance of a Judge's rank. Still I do remember feeling pleased when first promoted to Master Judge and certainly don't want to take away anything that someone feels they have earned.

But as it mainly affects Vanor and Reiella, what do you guys think?

Lady Diamond

First Post
I'm not worried about a judge's rank, but I Do feel more comfortable when someone with experience is judging, and sorta had my fill of breaking in new judges as a white belt and losing to folks who never show up again (that can't be helped, I know). Do you see a bit maybe where I'm coming from now?

Um, the idea I mentioned also said something about promoting two or more of the Journeymen to Masters before resetting everyone. Therefore what I mentioned affects more than just Vanor and Reiella.

The main thing I'm worried about, is that Wicht will suffer a melt-down from overload. But if ya feel strong enough to do all that.. its up to you, but I did warn ya :)

Remove ads