• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

July 2006 WotC Releases--MM IV, Secrets of Xen'Drik, d20 Super Heroes

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Pants,

It's basically as Demiy said. I base it on the track record of the previous ToHs and the fact I thoroughly enjoyed them all. MMs have been hit or miss for me.

*thinks the outline presented here would make for a MOST excellent religious sourcebook for Eberron*

Psion,

Don't you meant "Crunchy!" screaming gnomes? ;)

John,

What I'm saying is that currently I feel there's not a lot of support and/or resources in the current Eberron stuff presented to make ANY religious player feel like he/she is getting the most out of being a ranger, a paladin or a cleric. (Druids get some love that's for sure but more artificers, wizards, and sorcerers really) Thus what I enjoyed about SL is the fact it DID make an attempt to be inclusive to ALL magic, not just some of it. But that's just me.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Matthew L. Martin said:
(The price point as compared to length and format on this one is intriguing--it's $10 cheaper than would be expected. Either they're overstating the length, understating the price, or have decided to lower their prices considering they're up against M&M.)

My guess is that the length is wrong as given. I'd say this'll be like d20 Past, d20 Apocalypse, and d20 Cyberscape.

Gansk

Explorer
sanishiver said:
You know, I just didn't see the MMIII as all that bad.

Heck, the art was great, the monsters were refreshing and nasty (loved the Giants) and I get a lot of mileage out of that book.

Here's to hoping the MMIV is more of the same, and not like the MMII, which IMNSHO is the runt of the MM litter.

J. Grenemyer

Definitely in agreement here. After playtesting most of the monsters in the Battle of All Alignments, the MM III monsters end up being a ton more interesting than the MM II monsters.

WotC should be held accountable for their terrible editing, however.

Beale Knight

First Post
Psion said:
d20 Super Heroes?
Interesting.
I thought "Super Hero" was Trademarked by Marvel & DC.

It was last time I checked (two and a half years ago), but interestingly the term "super-hero" with a dash is not.

Staffan

Legend
Twiggly the Gnome said:
Over on the WotC boards I posted a example outline of what I'd like to see in a book on Eberron's religions. :D
Me, I would use a different sub-outline for the druidic sects than for the gods/religions. Unlike FR, Eberronean druids don't have religious overtones (there's nothing preventing a Greensinger druid from worshipping the Sovereign Host, for example).

Oh, and I'd like to see more info on the Moonspeakers.

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:
Hmm, its interesting that you'd say that. I actually like "Death of a Darklord". Of course, it was some time ago that I read it. Maybe my tastes have changed since then. I'll likely buy the update and see if I still like it.

Of course, I liked reading the D&D: The Movie novel adaptation. :p

BTW, the original novel is 313 pages, while the new version is 320.

KF72

Death of a darklord isn't bad per se. It's a OK story.

However, it's a bad book when you have the Ravenloft setting in mind - it's flaws show important ignorance of the basics of Ravenloft.

I asked the author if it was a new book (yay!) or just a reprint. Back with the answer when I have it.

Joël

Razz

Banned
Banned
Yum, MMIV! Keep those baddies coming!

I especially hope it is the same quality as MM3 (MM2 wasn't bad at all, I liked it, though I do agree about MM2 and MM3 weakening the yugoloths. Never understood that one!)

I hope, this time, 90% of the book isn't NEW monsters. I prefer a 50/50 of revised old monsters mixed in with the new. I've heard some say they want to appeal the new generation of gamers by introducing a new set of baddies, but honestly if such gamers truly are "new" then a converted monster from 1E/2E will look no different than a brand new 3E brand of monster.

And I do like the Forgotten Realms/Eberron adaptations. Those are helpful.

And hope they bring back gremlins! :D

PJSlavner

Explorer
sanishiver said:
You know, I just didn't see the MMIII as all that bad.

Heck, the art was great, the monsters were refreshing and nasty (loved the Giants) and I get a lot of mileage out of that book.

Here's to hoping the MMIV is more of the same, and not like the MMII, which IMNSHO is the runt of the MM litter.

J. Grenemyer

I agree about both books, especially about the MMII. As the secondary moderator at the below site, I have seen both books in action, and I usually am much less than thrilled when I have to use a monster from the MMII. I believe the primary moderator has an even lower opinion of the MMII. After reading Gansk's post, I think my belief is confirmed.

The Battle of All Alignments

Shameless plug follows:

If the Battle interests you, there is still room to sign up, or participate in one of the Free-for-All forums.

Last edited:

Remove ads