D&D 5E Just About Sick Of Darkvision.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Yeah on Roll20 its probably fun to have all the different visions/light sources.

It's a hell of a lot of fun. And if you aren't picky about polish, the gm can knock a dynamic lighting map together as quick as drawing on a whiteboard.

Not really my preferred playstyle these days, but still: had a lot of fun with it

Rune

Once A Fool
steeldragons said:
Yup. Half-elves too. I don't quite understand what that comment was about. It had a shorter range than, say, full elves or dwarves, but half-elves did have infravision too. Was it taken out in 3e?

Infravision got split into darkvision and low-light vision for 3e and 4e. And was no longer heat-based.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Infravision got split into darkvision and low-light vision for 3e and 4e. And was no longer heat-based.

Oh right. I know that. [EDITED OUT SINCE I RECEIVED ANSWER]

PS: And I just checked, I was mistaken, half-elf's range was just as far as elves and dwarves in 1e and 2e, 60's for errvrybody all around. I was thinking of their lessened resistance to charms as compared to full-blooded elves. ...It was 30% and I was thinking their 'vision was 30'. But no. Full on 'vision for half-elves too.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend

AD&D 1st Ed had infravision and ultravision. One was IR, the other UV. Neither blindsight nor low light vision were specified.

Dividing out the various "darkvision" types into the three possible versions: low-light, UV, IR would have been better, I think.

Ultravision, however, isn't really all that useful in the real world (where it DOES exist in insects), as it's pretty much only present in artificial lights and in daytime.

CapnZapp

Legend
Why not change it?

Of, course, if only, say, dwarves get to keep darkvision, you'd have many players choosing a dwarf only party.

Any adventure revolving around a human village, say, will be easy pickings for any darkvision equipped party.

Agamon

Adventurer
It's a hell of a lot of fun. And if you aren't picky about polish, the gm can knock a dynamic lighting map together as quick as drawing on a whiteboard.

Really? I used Roll20 for about 2 years, but recently, my dispersed group game back together again, so we're tabletop once more. But I didn't want to touch any of the dynamic lighting stuff with a 10' pole. I used Fantasy Grounds back in the day, and all the bells and whistles in that software belled and whistled me to death. All that extra "cool" stuff seemed like a very low return on time investment.

But if it was that easy, I kinda wished I gave it a try.

Remove ads