D&D 5E Just About Sick Of Darkvision.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
Most animals can see in much less light than human can
No they can't. Most mammals can see in low light better than humans, but mammals are a tiny fraction of animals. And, in the real world, improved vision in low light typically comes at the expense of good vision in bright light. Most mammals see less colours than humans (primates, really) because they're adapted to see in twilight. And the real world has here a lesson for us to apply to games, about which I think I've ranted before - advantages should come with penalties. You should be able to choose darkvision in exchange for sunlight sensitivity, or something like that.

And nothing can see in total darkness in the real world. Creatures that live in total darkness are blind.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
This isn't particularly in response to your post, but your post added to some others in this and other threads and makes me want to write something about the old Shadow radio show (invisible by mental powers) and how invisibility (or hiding in the dark) work in D&D. I just can't get my brain to formulate it well at the moment.
In AD&D 1st and 2nd edition, and in D&D 3.5x edition, this is how psionic invisibility worked. You "clouded the minds" of your opponents; the 3.5 psionic power was even called cloud mind, IIRC. If an you were unaware of an enemy, or did not have enough strength points, you were still visible to them.

Horwath

Legend
No need to remove darkvision, but penalties can be broaden a little, and do NOT FORGET to implement DISADVANTAGE.

So you have disadvantage on Perception as normal,
add disadvantage on Investigation also, and thief tools when dealing with traps/locks as you cannot see fine details, this goes for most usage of any tools
disadvantage on Survival, tracks are easy to miss in dim light,
disadvantage on Insight(this will come rare) as you miss fine visual "tells" when someone is lying.

So, more or less, anything that can rely on sight in some degree suffers disadvantage

Remove ads