Just discovered Castles and Crusades

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Gygax's writing style isn't what I'd describe as "lean." I think of charts, polearms, and wordy passages with inflated diction.
What elements would you want preserved from Gygax's style? Maybe the collective here can figure out if the game already exists?
Random charts, MCAT-level vocabulary, idiosyncratic organizational style, florid adjectives, a kleptomaniac style of grabbing all sorts of world myth and shoving it into one book whether it makes sense together or not, unexplained allusions to characters, settings and concepts that serve as a lightly sketched out worldbuilding (until TSR decides there's money to be made in fleshing things out).

I don't think any of that requires three page character class write-ups.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Random charts, MCAT-level vocabulary, idiosyncratic organizational style, florid adjectives, a kleptomaniac style of grabbing all sorts of world myth and shoving it into one book whether it makes sense together or not, unexplained allusions to characters, settings and concepts that serve as a lightly sketched out worldbuilding (until TSR decides there's money to be made in fleshing things out).

I don't think any of that requires three page character class write-ups.

And Kelsey should TOTALLY leave behind two conflicting wills.

Jahydin

Hero
Just finished up the last draft of my SIEGE hack if anyone's interested.

Benefits:
1. Easier on the CKs to assign difficulties, since they only have a few categories to juggle.
2. Faster checks at the table since players can now just roll the die and check if they succeed or not.
3. An easier and more effective way to punish Classes that try tasks outside their expertise.
4. Save ranges closer to AD&D.
Basic SIEGE (BaSIEGE) v2.3

Core Rules:​

1. Use the Optional Tertiary Attribute rule in the CKG. This allows two Secondary Attributes to be selected at character creation along with Primes and Non-Primes.

Challenge Bases (CBs) are as follows: Prime (CB 12), Semi-Prime (CB 15), and Non-Prime (CB 18). These go down by 1 every even Character Level.

For example, a Lv 4 Cleric CBs would be 10 (Prime), 13 (Semi-Prime), 16 (Non-Prime).

2. When deciding the Difficulty of checks, the CK now just decides if a task is Easy (CL -3), Average (CL 0), or Hard (CL 3).

3. Saving Throws are made at Average Difficulty, unless the target is 3+ Levels higher or lower than the attacker, in which case they becomes Easy or Hard as appropriate.

4. Level is no longer added to SIEGE checks.

Recommended Optional Rules:​

1. Although the three Difficulties listed will take care of 90% of all rolls, the CK might want a few more, especially at higher level play. In which case, use Heroic (CL 6), Legendary (CL 9), and Godlike (CL 12).

Recommend incorporating Heroic around Lv 6, Legendary around Lv 12, and Godlike around Lv 18.

2. When in a situation where the task is outside the character’s expertise (such as a Fighter attempting to pick a lock) and if they are Prime in the Attribute in question, they may make a roll as Non-Proficient. Treat as if “Non-Prime”, but CB is reduced by 1 every other even level.

For example, a Lv 4 Cleric, Dex 14 Prime, want to pick a pocket. He would need a roll of 16+ to succeed.

3. Because of the nature of BaSIEGE, it is recommended all Challenge Classes (CCs) be written down beforehand for each Attribute. This allows players to roll and quickly tell the CK the Difficulty they succeeded at.

For example, a LV 8 PC Strength line would look like:
Str 15 (Prime, +1) [4/7/10], 15
Now all the player has to do is roll a d20 and note if he succeeds at a(n) [Easy, Average, Hard], or Non-Proficient task.

Example:
Father Tim, Lv 6 Cleric. Wis 14 (Prime, +1) [5/8/11], 16
Shadowleaf, Lv 6 Ranger. Wis 14 (Prime, +1) [5/8/11], 16
CL 0 calculations for each: 12 (CB) - 3 (Level) - 1 (Wis) = 8
CK: "You hear rustling branches overhead, roll an Average Wis Check to see if you spot the source."
CK: "Father Tim, this isn't exactly your forte, so roll as Non-Proficient.
Tim: rolls a 14 “Darn, needed a 16 so I fail.” (Bolded number on sheet)
Shadowleaf: rolls an 11 Yup, I'm over Average, what do I see?" (Middle value on sheet)

bulletmeat

Adventurer
Gygax's writing style isn't what I'd describe as "lean." I think of charts, polearms, and wordy passages with inflated diction.
What elements would you want preserved from Gygax's style? Maybe the collective here can figure out if the game already exists?
C&C Adventurers Backpack has the polearms.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
Sadly I don't have "a group", just sporadic games I run every now and then that have never gone past Level 4.

That said, the math is pretty similar to AD&D, which I have played a lot of, so pretty confident it would work out well!
If you ever get a chance to try it near levels 10-12 please let me know.
I wonder how magic items will affect the rolls.

Jahydin

Hero
If you ever get a chance to try it near levels 10-12 please let me know.
I wonder how magic items will affect the rolls.
Will do!

But for the time being, expect Level 12 character's chance of success to be:

Prime Attribute:
Easy: 90%, Average: 75%, Hard: 60%, Heroic: 45%, Legendary: 30%
Semi-Prime Attribute:
Easy: 75%, Average: 60%, Hard: 45%, Heroic: 30%, Legendary: 15%
Non-Prime Attribute:
Easy: 60%, Average: 45%, Hard: 30%, Heroic: 15%, Legendary: 0%

So just increase those scores by 5% for each bonus given by the item for the new chance of success.

Remove ads