D&D General Justify A Level 1 Drow On the Surface?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
My favorite one so far is for my next character (in maybe about 10 years or so) is a male drow but with the Blessing of Corellon, meaning they can change their sex after a long rest. Its considered a curse in ye ol' Drow mentality because it upset the precarious stratification of their society. So they flee the underdark by presenting as a drow noblewoman seeking aid in a drow outpost to gather a troop to go on a raid to the surface, where they fled as soon a possible. Now they are a cleric of Shar, probably a Arcane, Twilight or Trickery Cleric.

Can also go on the full evil side: a Drow Inquisitor (Vengeance or Conquest Pal or Divine Soul sorc) of Lolth, going to the surface to fetch back all those softies who fled because they cant understand the glory of Drow society.

Zardnaar

Legend
Speaking for Greyhawk, it's going to depend rather when you are setting your campaign. If you're going back to the 1983 boxed set year -576 CY - then, well, Drow are pretty much unknown in most of Greyhawk at that point. No one has descended into the Vault of the Drow at that point and, outside of a couple of sages perhaps, no one has ever seen or heard of a drow.

Other than maybe getting some weird looks for being a funny looking elf, there's no reason a Drow in that year of Greyhawk would have any problems walking around openly.

I've had two thoughts. The Dark Elves are so rare and mysterious no one knows enough to care. Elves will, have fun dealing with them.

Or I sometimes have Elves as Melinbonians. The Drow there could be very different to Lolthites.

Drow in Eberron no big deal.

It's more surviving the underdark, hence why I thought someone else would be involved.

Even an unusual punishment. You did something that would get you killed normally but for some reason you get dumped on the surface. Or a bribe gets you exiled instead of death so a merchant group dumps you somewhere.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Drizzt was around level 15 when he got to the surface.

That's debatable. In 2E, he was a straight 16th level Ranger, due to multiclassing restrictions, so it's not easy to pinpoint what exactly his level was when he made it to the surface. But it's safe to say that he had been on the surface for more than one effective level.

In 3E, his official stats were Fighter 10/Barbarian 1/Ranger 5. That'd be something like 10 (or fewer) levels of Fighter training in Menzoberranzan, 1 level of Barbarian for his animalistic rage that developed while surviving on his own in the Underdark, and 5 levels of Ranger from his training on the surface with Montolio and subsequent further development as a Ranger. So in 3E terms, he would have been around Level 11 at the most when he made it to the surface.

In 5E, there haven't been official stats published in a sourcebook, but semi-official stats were offered by WotC through D&D Beyond. It put him as a Fighter 11/Ranger 8. So again, he would have been around Level 11 at the most when he made it to the surface and started his Ranger training with Montolio.

Reason is I have found a very narrow build that only a Drow qualifies for. It's hypothetical and it's not good as such but Dex based melee sorcerer/cleric in a domain without martial weapons.

Any other Dex and charisma races with rapiers as a racial weapon?

A Variant Human taking the Weapon Master feat at Level 1 gets you +2 DEX, +1 CHA, and proficiency with Rapiers and 3 other Martial weapons of your choice.

So no need to go with a Drow and all its associated baggage.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases