D&D General Justify A Level 1 Drow On the Surface?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
In FR there also the fact that during the Spellplague, the earth split at many place, revealing some drow cities which were now of cliffside of gigantic canyons. There was also Earth Mote risen by the wild magic that send huge chunk of underdark in the skies, so you even had ''flying'' drow cities.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
B'ahb D'yngal was playing a side cavern as a child, and fell into a hot spring. This hot spring fed a Geyser on the surface. Young B'ahb was fired in a column of Scalding Hot Water to the surface. Found near death by a kindly priest, B'ahb was nursed back to health and raised by the priests order as an acolyte.

GameOgre

Adventurer
A Drow Priestess of Loth fell in love with a male Drow adventurer deep in the underdark. Love blossomed and the hero melted her dark heart until they both fled the underdark and into the embrace of Eilistraee. After many trials and adventures ther ended up as heroes in a surface city and settled down. Now many decades later a growing family of Drow can be found walking the streets of INSERT CITY HERE.

Zardnaar

Legend
A Drow Priestess of Loth fell in love with a male Drow adventurer deep in the underdark. Love blossomed and the hero melted her dark heart until they both fled the underdark and into the embrace of Eilistraee. After many trials and adventures ther ended up as heroes in a surface city and settled down. Now many decades later a growing family of Drow can be found walking the streets of INSERT CITY HERE.

I did say from a lolthite place. Elistraee isn't an option on GH for example.

In Faerun there are also canonically populations of "drow exiles" living in places like deep forests on or near the surface. One example: the Forest of Mir. Frequently these are composed of drow who ran afoul of internecine politics or who disdain the primacy of Lolth; and tend to have much higher rates of non-evilness. Presumably this would include children and other less skillful family.

A drow with the guild merchant background. He or she is looking to open up trade relations with the surface world. Due to the guild merchant background the PC already has a small number of merchant contacts on the surface to help ease the path. There are merchants on the surface most eager to get a hold of rare underdark goods. It also gives an obvious reason why the PC would have solid diplomatic skills. This could work for a wide variety of classes.

Zardnaar

Legend
A drow with the guild merchant background. He or she is looking to open up trade relations with the surface world. Due to the guild merchant background the PC already has a small number of merchant contacts on the surface to help ease the path. There are merchants on the surface most eager to get a hold of rare underdark goods. It also gives an obvious reason why the PC would have solid diplomatic skills. This could work for a wide variety of classes.

Yeah this is the best idea I've managed to come up with.

1. Has reason to travel.
2. Has security while traveling.
3. Reason to speak common.

A charismatic one could have convinced a relationship to add a +1 and it doesn't matter to much if they get ganked.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I did say from a lolthite place. Elistraee isn't an option on GH for example.
Only if you make it so. but even then...replace Elistraee with any good deity and continue.Shrug, im just saying there are ten thousand easy ways that make sense for Drow low level pc's just like what I describe. It's as easy or difficult as the DM wants.

If you dislike the idea of Drow PC's starting on the surface no amount of story is going to make you love it. If you don't mind low level Drow on the surface, any of those ten thousand will work.

Same can be said with any race or class.

It irks me to heck and back for players to play Lizard Men characters, I don't allow them. I just don't act like it's because it is impossible for there to be a good reason for a Lizard Man pc, I just don't like them to the point of it ruining my fun,so nope, can't be one. Though I did cave in once for a Lizardman Druid..........

Zardnaar

Legend
Only if you make it so. but even then...replace Elistraee with any good deity and continue.Shrug, im just saying there are ten thousand easy ways that make sense for Drow low level pc's just like what I describe. It's as easy or difficult as the DM wants.

If you dislike the idea of Drow PC's starting on the surface no amount of story is going to make you love it. If you don't mind low level Drow on the surface, any of those ten thousand will work.

Same can be said with any race or class.

It irks me to heck and back for players to play Lizard Men characters, I don't allow them. I just don't act like it's because it is impossible for there to be a good reason for a Lizard Man pc, I just don't like them to the point of it ruining my fun,so nope, can't be one. Though I did cave in once for a Lizardman Druid..........

I don't like the idea of surface Drow in viable populations for a source of a player PC.

A Drow renegade or what have you going to the surface is a bit different.

Drow dark, mysterious Fey. PC Drow.

"Hi guys".

Surface Drow to me are a cop out.

Iry

Hero
An arrogant nobleman wants one of those "Drow" to serve as his X at court. Mostly as a showpiece and exotic trophy. This could be a servant, security guard, advisor, or anything else an absurdly rich person might want a bizarre elf for. A drow trading organization, possibly even Bregan D'aerthe, arrange for your transportation.

Remove ads