D&D 5E Kara Tur vs Tarkir vs Kamigawa vs Plane of Mountains and Seas vs Ikoria

Manga and Manwha have got stories based in fantasy worlds, inspired in Medieval and Victorian western, and Asian cultures, by and for Asians.

* Aren't Asians in this forum? I would like to know their opinion about OA. Maybe fandom from Taiwan, South Corea and Japan have got different points of view.

* Do you know "Aquelarre" the first RPG "100% made in Spain"? I wonder about how you imagine fantasy Spain, and how this is showed in this game.

* Can Wizards of the Coast partnership with different videogame studios? I try to imagine an Oriental Adventures videogame created by a Japanese, a Chinese and a Corean videogame studio. Would Chinese game allow undead monsters? Other option could be to publish a SRD of Or.Adven and then videogames would create their own franchises as Kara-Tur.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm somewhat surprised no one has mentioned DragonFist (set in Tianguo). Personally, I find that campaign world far more engaging that Kara-Tur. The campaign world information for it is much slimmer, but I find it much more engaging that the Kara-Tur boxed set.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm somewhat surprised no one has mentioned DragonFist (set in Tianguo). Personally, I find that campaign world far more engaging that Kara-Tur. The campaign world information for it is much slimmer, but I find it much more engaging that the Kara-Tur boxed set.
I never actually played it but I did enjoy reading through it and looking at the changes to the basic dnd system in regard to stunts and martial arts. Just looked it up, apparently the rights to it was sold to Green Ronin back in 2002.

Reading through the current issue of Dragon+ and the theme of giant monsters, the DMs Guild highlight article included one product on the giant monsters of Kara-Tur. I had forgotten that because it is part of the Realms, the region is fair game for creators uploading and selling material. So has anyone given the Kara-Tur material on DMs Guild a good look through to see what there fits the needs and is not cringey?

Voadam

Legend
I loved 1e OA, particularly the martial arts system, neat nonweapon proficiencies, new monsters, weapons, and magic. I hated the honor system and was not interested in immersing myself in that subsystem or cultural aspects. Kara Tur was a little afterthought at the back I never really read and even though I got the OA modules that fleshed it out and incorporated it into the Forgotten Realms, I never really strayed beyond the mechanics of the OA hardcover. I understand Kara Tur is two types of not-Japan, a not-imperial China, and something else. I just never really got into it as a setting, mostly liking the Shou imperial dragon ship aspects of Spelljammer more than the setting on its own. Even so it has a huge advantage for 5e in being an official part of the 5e core Forgotten Realms world, so anything developed there can officially feed into Realms stuff. Official 5e mechanics for the 1e OA stuff (monsters, magic, etc.) would be nice.

I read the 3e Rokugan setting book cover to cover and really like their tight focus on themed political samurai clans, their own unique exclusive spellcaster class, the specific race stories and the Shadowlands stuff even if I did not care for taint itself mechanically. I felt it was an engaging setting with a lot of adventure potential and easy ways for PCs to be easily hooked into stories and adventures.

Dragon Fist was fantastic, AD&D with ascending AC and attack bonuses, strong fantastic classes with everyone being a martial artist. The setting was super light but a fun write up. I was glad to see hopping vampires.

I am not familiar with the MtG Asian-inspired settings, I stopped following the cards long before they showed up. The MtG settings have been pretty great so far so I'd have high expectations for anything developed for D&D on that front, even if it just one of those free PDFs.

Aldarc

Legend
Obviously.

However it was specifically pointed to in this thread as a discussion of what makes OA problematic. I was disappointed because I was specifically looking for such a discussion of reasons that OA is problematic and this 2-hour discussion about problematic aspects of OA did not provide such reasons.
It was an introductory video where they were reacting to first impressions and not a grand thesis.

There a simple way to know how to create a polittically correct OA. Hasbro+WotC has got contacts with Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese and Sourth-Korean companies. Then they talk with publishers from different countries for some project of a intercompany crossover, and the publish mangas, manwhas and manhuas of some Hasbro's franchise (for example Equestria Girls, the Western version of maho-shojo/magical girls). Then they learn what keys have to be touched.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Apparent Orcs are racist too.

I just give up. Sorry, I know I said I was getting out of this thread, but I saw this and thought it deserved to be shared.
What’s wrong with you? All the warnings aren’t enough? You just can’t help yourself? Despite warnings you have to do the same thing over and over and over and over again, in thread after thread after thread, like some sort of uncontrollable compulsion? I’m afraid you’ve worn out your welcome here. I’m tired of it.

Remove ads