• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

Keanu in the MCU

lowkey13

Exterminate all rational thought
So, if you've followed the other thread here-

https://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?659444-John-Wick-3-Should-You-See-It

...then you know the following:

1. John Wick 3 is the greatest movie of all time, and should be given all awards, ever.
2. The John Wick franchise is the greatest cinematic universe in the history of cinema and universes, including but not limited to other possible multiverses.
3. The parabellum is not, in fact, the part of your brain that John Wick aims for with his head shots.

With that out of the way, we have the following announcement, perhaps the most important news since, "Yesterday, December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy ..."

The MCU is attempting to get Keanu Reeves.

That's right. Straight from the Feige's mouth to your ears.

Source:
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06/19/marvel-studios-kevin-feige-confirms-conversations-keanu-reeves-mcu/

We are not talking about some lesser franchise, like Police Academy, or the DC Universe.

NO.

This is the fourth most important movie franchise of all time, right after John Wick, Bill & Ted, and the Matrix (well, the first Matrix movie ... they should make more of those).

So, the question is, what character should Keanu play? I am throwing it out for discussion. Here are my modest suggestions:

1. John Wick. Don't think of it as John joining Marvel; think of it as Marvel joining John.

2. Moon Knight.

3. The Silver Surfer. Woah.

4. William "Bill" S. Preston, Esq. YOU DID NOT SEE THAT COMING, DID YOU ALEX WINTER? The range of Keanu knows no bounds, and he doesn't need his Andrew Ridgeley any more.

All of these might work, but allow me to offer the best suggestion of all:\

The fourth phase of the MCU will just be Keanu and Cage, alternating between hero and villain (think Face/Off), over and over again.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine Keanu and Cage stamping on your face, forever. SO GOOD!

So, what do you think? What role in the MCU (other than all of them) should Keanu take?

Last edited:
I heard some speculation on Keanu being eyed for Doctor Doom. Personally, I think Christoph Waltz would be pretty awesome in the role. But regardless of who they cast, they need someone who can act behind a mask. That makes all the difference in those sorts of roles.

On the flip side, I could see Keanu as Reed Richards. He could totally play the hyperintelligent eccentric that is just as likely to do something horribly mistaken in the name of science.

Now, if you wanted something more action-packed, there are a couple of heroes that come to mind. Gambit, though he might be too old for that role. I could see him as Northstar, though that also raises the issue of representational casting. Adam Warlock and Namor also come to mind.

lowkey13

I heard some speculation on Keanu being eyed for Doctor Doom. Personally, I think Christoph Waltz would be pretty awesome in the role. But regardless of who they cast, they need someone who can act behind a mask. That makes all the difference in those sorts of roles.

On the flip side, I could see Keanu as Reed Richards. He could totally play the hyperintelligent eccentric that is just as likely to do something horribly mistaken in the name of science.

Now, if you wanted something more action-packed, there are a couple of heroes that come to mind. Gambit, though he might be too old for that role. I could see him as Northstar, though that also raises the issue of representational casting. Adam Warlock and Namor also come to mind.
NORTHSTAR! I agree about representation ... we would need a Canadian, right? I think Keanu can play Canadian- Idaho is in Canadia, right? He did that movie with River Phoenix?

Namor would be a good choice.*

But wait .... I think I have it.

How about ....

Captain Britain.

I just watched Keanu in Bram Stoker's Dracula, again. I know he would nail it.

*I think Reed Richards would totally work, but ... I'm not sure the Fantastic Four works, today.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
*I think Reed Richards would totally work, but ... I'm not sure the Fantastic Four works, today.
Well, families are still a thing, right? So, the Fantastic Four still works, today.

The problem with FF movies has not been that "they don't work". It has been that Fox does not, at its core, understand superheroes, at least of the Marvel variety. They have fundamentally missed what is most important to the superhero properties they touch. For the Fantastic Four, that is about family. They have focused on "Ooooh! Doctor Doooooom!". They've focused on the team's internal arguments. They haven't focused on what makes a group of such disparate people still stay together, despite the stresses in life, which in this case just happen to be super-powered.

It is hard to write a movie about a family, and really capture the dynamics. But, if Jordan Peele can do it in "Us", someone can do it for the FF.

As a 90s Goth, no matter how bad Keanu Reeves’ accent was in it, I will always love that movie. And to be fair, Harker generally seems to get the short end of the stick (stake?) in the other adaptations, too.

I can remember a friend at the time saying “I don’t care how many different ways you pronounce Dracula, that doesn’t make it acting!”

Captain Britain.

I just watched Keanu in Bram Stoker's Dracula, again. I know he would nail it.

lowkey13

Well, families are still a thing, right? So, the Fantastic Four still works, today.

The problem with FF movies has not been that "they don't work". It has been that Fox does not, at its core, understand superheroes, at least of the Marvel variety. They have fundamentally missed what is most important to the superhero properties they touch. For the Fantastic Four, that is about family. They have focused on "Ooooh! Doctor Doooooom!". They've focused on the team's internal arguments. They haven't focused on what makes a group of such disparate people still stay together, despite the stresses in life, which in this case just happen to be super-powered.

It is hard to write a movie about a family, and really capture the dynamics. But, if Jordan Peele can do it in "Us", someone can do it for the FF.
Well, I mean, look .... if Marvel can make Guardians of the Galaxy work and be a hit, I wouldn't put anything past them. Why not Squirrel Girl?

But the particular dynamics and powers of the FF are just ... not nearly as relevant as they were. IOW, to the extent that you can retcon their origin, change around some stuff, and call it FF, why not? But I don't know that the particular FF dynamics qua FF work as well today.*

IMO.

*In other words, the essence of Fantastic Four-ness, for lack of a better phrasing, doesn't translate as well well to the modern age. I'm sure that you can re-do parts of it, get great casting, and so on, and make a great movie that happens to be called Fantastic Four, but that's not quite the same thing. Just slapping "family" in it as a theme doesn't make it Fantastic Four- it makes it the Fast and the Furious. ;)

lowkey13

I can remember a friend at the time saying “I don’t care how many different ways you pronounce Dracula, that doesn’t make it acting!”
I coulda taken an acting class. I coulda been an actah. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Dannyalcatraz

Staff member
Given his delivery of “Your planet?” in The Day The Earth Stood Still, as well as his efforts in Point Break, I Love You To Death, Johnny Mnemonic, the Matrix franchise and the Bill & Ted movies, my first thought was Silver Surfer.

Duuuude!

Moon Knight is a good fit, as would be Adam Warlock.

I could also see him playing Havoc, or one of the Squadron Sinister/Supreme like Doctor Spectrum, The Whizzer, or Nighthawk.

The Swordsman or the Black Knight?

It might be kinda cool to see him as Captain Universe.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Well, I mean, look .... if Marvel can make Guardians of the Galaxy work and be a hit, I wouldn't put anything past them. Why not Squirrel Girl?
I don't doubt that Kamala Kahn/Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl will hit the big screen eventually.

*In other words, the essence of Fantastic Four-ness, for lack of a better phrasing, doesn't translate as well well to the modern age.
I am not sure I see what about their dynamic doesn't work. It isn't like the personality types in question are rare today, or anything.

MarkB

Adventurer

But the particular dynamics and powers of the FF are just ... not nearly as relevant as they were. IOW, to the extent that you can retcon their origin, change around some stuff, and call it FF, why not? But I don't know that the particular FF dynamics qua FF work as well today.*
Ironically, if they successfully made a Fantastic Four movie that built upon the family dynamics, it would probably feel like an Incredibles knock-off.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Ironically, if they successfully made a Fantastic Four movie that built upon the family dynamics, it would probably feel like an Incredibles knock-off.
Which would make it two or three times better than the previous FF movies, so... win?

We would have the point that it is more a family of siblings/peers, rather than strict parent/child, so it can be a little different.

Ryujin

Adventurer
Which would make it two or three times better than the previous FF movies, so... win?

We would have the point that it is more a family of siblings/peers, rather than strict parent/child, so it can be a little different.
Sure, until Jack-Ja.... I mean Franklin comes along.

When the parody gets it right but the original continually fails, you've got a problem.

Advertisement