• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most Rewatchable MCU Movies

Clint_L

Legend
Here's my list:

10. Shang Chi: The Legend of the Ten Rings. This one expanded the MCU, gave us a very likeable new hero, Tony Leung as a deeply sympathetic villain, and Michelle Yeoh in a key supporting role.

10. (alternate) Spiderman: No Way Home. This and Shang Chi were easily the best of Marvel's post End Game movies. This one felt like it paid me off for my lifetime of fandom. I didn't love Garfield's take on Spiderman until this film.

9. The Avengers. It's so fun to go back and see how it all started. Loki is the perfect foil to bring these disparate personalities together (credit to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby for recognizing that 50 years earlier), and the scene where they finally come together is iconic for a reason.

8. Black Panther. Easily the most thought-provoking MCU film, and there's no doubt that Killmonger steals the movie despite how perfect Chadwick Boseman is in the lead role.

7. Captain America: Civil War. Set out the stakes for the Captain America/Iron Man rivalry that is the heart of the MCU (that ending!). Plus, that fight at the airport was a childhood fantasy booking come to the big screen. The article rightly refers to the much lauded introductions of Black Panther and Spiderman, but for me the show stealing moment came from the Giant Man's first appearance.

6. Spiderman: Homecoming. Again with the relatively low stakes, which is what I usually want in a Spiderman film. And the stakes might be local, but they are deeply felt. Keaton's Vulture might be my favourite MCU villain. Definitely shortlisted.

5. Iron Man. I agree with the article that the (relatively) lower level stakes are a feature, and Rob Downey Jr. is the best cast superhero in film history.

4. Avengers: Infinity War. The Russo brothers do a phenomal job of building the tension, making things bleaker and bleaker for our heroes yet teasing us with hope that they might find a way out. And then Thor arrives! Too late! What a gut punch.

3. Thor: Ragnarock. The follow-up film is too coco-bananas for me, but this one struck just the right note of humour and pathos.

2. Avengers: End Game. This is how you take stakes that are on a cosmic level but make them feel personal. Captain America, alone, facing down Thanos' army only for the cavalry to arrive is one of the great moments in American cinema. And it perfectly pays off the two arcs the built the MCU, with Steve Rogers finally learning that he deserves something for himself, and Tony Stark finally attaining true selflessness.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy. Well, I paid to see it five times in the cinema, so that pretty much answers the rewatchability question right there. For me, a near perfect blend of childhood wonder and interstellar heroics, with an emotional core of found family. My second favourite superhero film (after The Incredibles).

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
10. Shang Chi: The Legend of the Five Rings. This one expanded the MCU, gave us a very likeable new hero, Tony Leung as a deeply sympathetic villain, and Michelle Yeoh in a key supporting role.
It's 10 rings I think. Legend of the Five Rings is something else entirely.

I can't believe Winter Soldier isn't on your list. While I enjoyed Shang Chi, the end fight was a CGI fest that I found difficult to follow and boring. I had the same problem with the first Wonder Woman movie. Wait, WW isn't Marvel?

I started watching the Marvel movies in order time but didn't get farther than Captain America First Avenger.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
  • Winter Soldier - a great spy thriller even without superpowers
  • Civil War - good character studies
  • Black Panther 1 - Wakanda Forever!
  • Avengers 1 - great ensemble movie and the Battle of New York remains the greatest MCU scene
  • Thor Ragnarok - great use of absurdist humour without going ott
  • Guardians 2 (v Ego) - the Guardians also have the humour factor
  • Avengers Infinity War - a superhero buffet
  • The Incredible Hulk - this is aged and many would forget it, but I'm a Hulk fan and this portrayal was fine as was the Rampage in Halem
  • The Marvels - I know I maybe in the minority but I found this to be entertaining (this is a rewatch list not a favourites one)
  • Captain America 1 - it was fun getting a 1940s MCU movie
  • Antman 2 - maybe not the most popular movie but the comedic moments were great, even if the villain was mediocre

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
I hate ranking things, but Thor: Ragnarok is definitely top of the pops for me. I don't know how many times I've rewatched it now. It hits all the right notes and is Taika Waititi at his best.

The first two Guardians of the Galaxy movies are also right up there. I really liked the third one but it hit so hard that I haven't felt up to rewatching it yet.

Black Panther was great. Same with Captain Marvel. Winter Soldier and Civil War are good too. And yeah, I also really like Shang-Chi and am keen to see the follow-up. Are the Ten Rings Kree technology? Don't leave us hanging for too much longer, Kevin!

Infinity War and Endgame are fantastic. However, they are long, which limits their rewatchability for me.

Agree re: Spider-Man: Homecoming and Vulture. Michael Keaton is the bomb.

If I can include some of the Disney+ shows, I have watched WandaVision several times, and I think Hawkeye may become a regular Christmas-time watch for us. I think Hawkeye is quite possibly my favorite of the Disney+ shows, although Moon Knight is up there too. (It's harder to commit to rewatching the shows since they are usually two or three movies in length, but at least you can watch them in smaller chunks if you need to.)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
If I can include some of the Disney+ shows, I have watched WandaVision several times, and I think Hawkeye may become a regular Christmas-time watch for us. I think Hawkeye is quite possibly my favorite of the Disney+ shows, although Moon Knight is up there too. (It's harder to commit to rewatching the shows since they are usually two or three movies in length, but at least you can watch them in smaller chunks if you need to.)
Yeah I really enjoyed Hawkeye and WandaVision too, I'd also add Ms Marvel to the list too

Greg K

Legend
I, really want to put Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse and Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse into the #1 and #2 spots. However, they are not considered part of the MCU. Therefore, I will go with the following:
1-3 (positions vary based on mood): Captain America: Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Black Panther
4-5 (positions vary based on mood): Ant-Man 1, Guardians of the Galaxy
6. The Avengers
7. Captain America: First Avenger
8. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
9-10 (positons vary based on mood): Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange
Honorable Mentions: The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man: Homecoming (for Keaton), Spider-Man Far From Home (for the portrayal of Mysterio's abilities), Spider-Man: No Way Home

briggart

Adventurer
I can't really make a list, more a set of tiers.

For me it's Infinity War and Endgame. Whenever I watch them I am always amazed on how well they managed to give space to so many characters, with their quirks and backstories, in a way that always felt natural and organic to the overall plot. It was the perfect payoff to 10 years of story telling.

Then Winter Soldier, Guardians, No way home, Avengers, and Ragnarok, in no particular order. I've seen these 3-4 times each and I gladly watch them again.

Third tier would be Iron Man, Civil War, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk. I wouldn't mind watching them again, but would not pick them on Disney+, where you have the full catalog available.

But if we can broaden the MCU to include mutants, Logan would be tier 1.5, and First Class and Days of Future Past would be with Winter Soldiers etc.

Then there is Deadpool, but to me that is too much of its own thing to properly rank against the usual MCU stuff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads