• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Keep on the Shadowfell and 4e thoughts - Spoilers in this thread

SDOgre

First Post
Some people have suggested doing more with the elven ranger spy. I'm probably going to do that.

I ran this with premade characters for one session (before 4E came out) and it didn't go well. I then started it back up with characters they made (I have 3 players and I run an NPC). It's going much better.

Except the character running the fighter hated it. He dropped the fighter and made a ranger.

But the plot is thin even for my group which doesn't need tons to plot to have fun.

I'm trying to figure out how to use that elven ranger spy better. They've freed Douval, and they cleared outside the kobold lair.

Felon

First Post
My group got bored with KotS pretty early on. Too much of fighting the same stuff over and over again. Even in 4e with all its cutesy powers, kobolds don't blow my skirt up.

Gort

Explorer
My group got bored with KotS pretty early on. Too much of fighting the same stuff over and over again. Even in 4e with all its cutesy powers, kobolds don't blow my skirt up.

I dunno, four encounters involving five different types of kobold doesn't seem too excessive to me.

tuffnoogies

First Post
We did have some moments of absolute hilarity though - the best being in the "Corridors of the Cube", where the party battles a gelatinous cube. I told the players the flavour text - the corridors are spotlessly clean, not a speck of lichen or moss or dust. The old-school D&Der (from first ed onwards, I believe) immediately realised it was a gelatinous cube, and he made his Arcane check so I let him pass that on to the rest of the players. They chucked pennies down the first corridor, then the second (trying to hit the nigh-invisible cube) but then the cleric, deciding there must be a secret door in one of the pointless-looking alcoves, walked straight into the cube. I laughed my ass off.

LOL. Thanks. That made my day.

tglord0001

First Post
Easy

I have a 6 person group so I had to add monsters to the encounters, Fighter, Warlord, Cleric, 2 Warlock, Ranger. This group completely walked over every encounter in KoTS. I even started adding 1 extra monster beyond the extra added for the 6th player. Solo's were not even much challenge, the amount of dmg a Maul fighter, 2 warlocks and a ranger using action points can put out is insane. It might be a different case with 5 pre made toons, but optimized characters can really change an encounter.

hero4hire

Explorer
I have a 6 person group so I had to add monsters to the encounters, Fighter, Warlord, Cleric, 2 Warlock, Ranger. This group completely walked over every encounter in KoTS. I even started adding 1 extra monster beyond the extra added for the 6th player. Solo's were not even much challenge, the amount of dmg a Maul fighter, 2 warlocks and a ranger using action points can put out is insane. It might be a different case with 5 pre made toons, but optimized characters can really change an encounter.

Try adding 20% more xp worth of monsters to each encounter, That would scale it up for a six member party.

VannATLC

First Post
I've got 7 players, and I've revamped all the encounters, and added a bit of extra plot, etc. Running it in 2 weeks time. WE only play once a month, unfortunately.

hailstop

First Post
I dunno, four encounters involving five different types of kobold doesn't seem too excessive to me.

I agree, but I'll be mixing up the creatures a bit (and with me doing double XP since we only play every two weeks, I'll be adding stuff like bugbears).

Remove ads