D&D 4E Keep on the Shadowfell specifics from Mearls (4e designer) .. new info on Page 2

cincinnati reds

First Post
MaelStorm said:
WotC made some poor decisions on this one:

• When you compare the page count, you have 64 pages for H1 and 96 pages for H2!?!?!
  • H1 has rules, which is making it even worst. Because the people that want it for the adventure will get a very very small one.
  • If H1 would have had 96 pages instead, there would have been space for choosing powers, instead you are going to have a rehash of DDXP with maybe a little bit more info, big deal! The only thing going for it is that you can progress up to 3rd level instead of being stuck to 1st level. So the people that buy it for the rules are going to be disappointed too.
  • Only a bit more than two weeks in advance of the Core Book release instead of the four weeks previously announced.
  • You pay a little bit more because it is hard covered, when it could have been cheaper with a soft cover.

They could have made it a killer if it would have been 96 pages and four week in advance with powers to choose for the pre-generated characters.

I'm sure the adventure is going to be interesting, but that is a very small boon.

I believe that the module is 64 pages and there is an additional 32 page booklet with the Quickstart rules bundled with it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
ainatan said:
Why would I pre-order KotSF if I already have Raiders of Oakhurst + pregen sheets?

Why assume they're the same pre-gens, with the same powers chosen? We already know Mike didn't have anything to do with the characters in this module, and that I believe he said he was the one who statted up the DDXP pre-gens, so someone really interested in gleaning every scrap prior to the books might find this a good value.

On the other hand, I don't think WotC counted on zealous fans creating their own modules four months in advance, nor compiling every scrap of evidence like a bunch of CSI's, either. :)

(contact)

Explorer
It's interesting to see how many people are canceling pre-orders due to the mis-timing of this release. I seem to recall that it was initially slated to roll out a month early? I'm assuming that it got pushed back, which kind of de-fangs it as the "play 4e early" release.

With 64 pages, it's understandable that they couldn't offer a range of powers to choose from as you level, but boy wouldn't this have been a great opportunity to get your early adopters over to your "fourth pillar of D&D" by having part of your vaunted rules database go public by the time the module released.

You could have a page on DnDi detailing the options available to the pre-gen PCs, etc.

Even better (for us nostalgic grognards), bundle it with a blue-book style limited PHB, that covers 1st through 3rd level with a limited selection of classes and monsters.

I'm guessing that they'll use their 4e iconics for this adventure -- unless they 86ed iconics for some reason. If they had their stuff together (and you know they haven't shown any evidence of that to date) they would be the same characters from DnDex, because they'd be putting their iconics forward as the public face of the generic classes.

At this point, everything related to 4e that isn't the rule set or a core rule-book looks kind of raggedy and clumsily done. WotC certainly seems like an overstretched organization.

Here's to hoping that the rules are the exception to the current trend. I'm sure that in concept they'll be fantastic, but I'm not sure how well playtested they'll be. Better than 2e, worse than 3e is my guess.

Nebulous

Legend
Henry said:
On the other hand, I don't think WotC counted on zealous fans creating their own modules four months in advance, nor compiling every scrap of evidence like a bunch of CSI's, either. :)

:lol: :lol:

so true! Folks around here did a bang up job. Color me impressed.

AZRogue

First Post
(contact) said:
At this point, everything related to 4e that isn't the rule set or a core rule-book looks kind of raggedy and clumsily done. WotC certainly seems like an overstretched organization.

I agree. I have the unfortunate image of a bunch of guys over there saying "damn, this RPG stuff is kinda hard. What book are we on?"

The core rules still sound great, of course, but most everything else, like the GSL, the "too little of this, not enough of that" of this early adventure, the spotty online magazines, and most everything else just seems clumsy. They seem harried instead of poised, calm, and collected.

Puggins

Explorer
ainatan said:
Why would I pre-order KotSF if I already have Raiders of Oakhurst + pregen sheets?

That's like saying "why would I buy The Lost City when I already have Keep on the Borderlands," assuming the module is good.

I don't quite get it- that many people ordered the thing just for a preview to 4e, instead of it being the first 4e module? I'm not downing that approach, mind you- I just thought people would be more excited for the adventure, and not some tightened-down version of the rules.

MaelStorm

First Post
I may be a very critical person, but that doesn't mean I don't like 4E, etc.

I'm going to buy KotSf anyway w/ or w/o a 32-page quickstart rules. I was just stating my disappointment concerning this product.

Last edited:

Gorrstagg

First Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Whomever is in charge, needs to get the module done and printed up and out in stores by May 6th. If you do that, you give people a full month to explore a module and it sates the appetite for the customers.

But putting it out only 2!! Weeks before release, shows your forgetting the key tenet of listening to the Customer. Which means, actually Listening to us and knowing, we want this now.

Quite simply, at this point, there is no excuse for us to not have that module out in the beginning of may.

None.

Hawke

Explorer
Gorrstagg said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Whomever is in charge, needs to get the module done and printed up and out in stores by May 6th. If you do that, you give people a full month to explore a module and it sates the appetite for the customers.

But putting it out only 2!! Weeks before release, shows your forgetting the key tenet of listening to the Customer. Which means, actually Listening to us and knowing, we want this now.

Quite simply, at this point, there is no excuse for us to not have that module out in the beginning of may.

None.

No kidding! And what a good time to test digital distribution than with a test module... maybe make it free pdf to those that sign up for a year of DDI (not me!) or something... it's just too close to the phb for me to be interested in dropping anything more than a few bucks.

Remove ads