• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keep your filthy points of light away from me!

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Kae'Yoss said:
It may be nice for some campaigns, but I can't be the only one who thinks that it's not the only way you can set up a world.

You are the only one, no one is this universe except for you can possibly conceive of a different world/campaign setting.

I mean, now that I've heard about this – there goes my Planescape campaign…how can it exist now!

hopeless

Adventurer
Ooh!

Turjan said:
In principle, I agree. As long as the FR don't end up being something like a wasteland overrun by demons (like, to explain where all those tieflings suddenly come from), I'm okay with it. If the FR become a playground for outsiders, I'm out.

I was more thinking the instabilities caused by various actions in the campaign settings gave Tharisdun the means to try and escape his prison he seized control of Cyric which is why he's just plain nuts and how he created that artefact that can even make gods believe his lies and this led to he and Shar killing Mystra and the dweomerheart although Shar was conned into it since it destroyed her access to the alternaive weave she created.

Subsequently the demons and devils were unleashed on the countless worlds and the settings were essentially wiped out but refugees fled offworld eventually finding there way to a world once used only for meetings between the gods and here they made their last stand.

It was this battle that killed Helm and not Tyr, that was a story created to explain Helm's disappearance along with all of his loyal followers, what noone knows was that when the last survivors of that epic battle struggled back to the remaining refugees was that they were now stuck on their new homeworld with no way of returning all the other settings were reset and since those that were restored to life retained no memory of the traumatic catastrophe that destroyed their worlds they continued with their lives unaware why things had changed so drastically.

Except that single world and I'm really inclined to make it Paizo's to be honest!

Uzzy

First Post
This whole "WOTC is killing my FR" argument is getting old. How many more threads do we have to see before the FR fans figure out that they can run their 3.5 realms all they want. If, as they claim, there are many uncharted regions and WOTC shouldn't change it, then they can play in these regions.

As is the 'They aren't burning our 3.5 Books' argument. There are not just uncharted regions in the Realms, but many major areas have not be detailed in this edition. We lack a 'Faiths of Faerún', and for a world where the gods have a fair bit of influence, that's very annoying. We've no updated Cormyr sourcebook, or one for the Dales, two major regions in the Realms. This new campaign setting sounds interesting, but it doesn't sound like the Realms. If WoTC accepted that, and continued to publish sourcebooks for the current Realms, then I'd be happy.

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Uzzy said:
If WoTC accepted that, and continued to publish sourcebooks for the current Realms, then I'd be happy.

Aren't there enough sourcebooks for the current Realms?

I mean, I have pretty much every 1st and 2nd edition Realms product and it is way more info than I could ever use, even if I ran a Realms campaign 5 nights a week for 10 years.

I'm so glad I didn't jump on the "must buy every 3rd edition Realms product" just so I could have a new logo.

I had enough of that nonsense with 2nd edition…

catsclaw227

First Post
Uzzy said:
We lack a 'Faiths of Faerún', and for a world where the gods have a fair bit of influence, that's very annoying.
Huh? Isn't Faiths and Pantheons the "Faiths of Faerun" you are requesting?

EDIT: Dangit! Matrix Sorcia beat me to it! :)

Last edited:

Uzzy

First Post
Aren't there enough sourcebooks for the current Realms?

It's a good start. Like I said, we are missing sourcebooks on the Dales, Cormyr, Western Heartlands, Impiltur, the Old Empires (though Lost Empires is a good stop gap), Amn, Tethyr. The lack of sourcebooks for Cormyr and the Dales is most annoying, as they have seen a lot of change recently, and a lot of focus from novels, adventures and the metaplot. The last Cormyr sourcebook was back in 1994, I believe!

Don't forget that not everyone has access to 2nd and 1st edition products either. I started the Realms back in 2004 and I've only got them because I splashed out at Paizo. Picked up a few on Ebay too. Regardless, WoTC started off designing 3rd edition with the principle that they shouldn't reference 2nd edition products.

And no, Faiths and Pantheons is NOT the Faiths of Faerún I would like. F&P concentrates on the gods themselves. My Faiths of Faerún, like Faiths of Eberron, would concentrate on the religions themselves. Where are the major temples, what do the priests call themselves, when are the holy days, how do they live their lives etc. This has not been address in Realmslore, short of the 2nd Edition Faith books. I should have been more specific before, but I was heading back to college. So you can understand my lack of time. :)

catsclaw227

First Post
Uzzy said:
The lack of sourcebooks for Cormyr and the Dales is most annoying, as they have seen a lot of change recently, and a lot of focus from novels, adventures and the metaplot. The last Cormyr sourcebook was back in 1994, I believe!
Ugh... This is why I am 100% behind the 4e FR changes. I don't WANT to require all that novel canon to get started playing in the realms again.

A fresh start is the only way I will go back to DMing the Realms again. If they want my DM cash, this is a good way to get it. And subsequently WOTC will will benefit from my players as well.

Uzzy

First Post
Ugh... This is why I am 100% behind the 4e FR changes. I don't WANT to require all that novel canon to get started playing in the realms again.

Really, this idea needs to be put to bed. You need ONE Book to play in the Realms. Repeat after me. ONE. That book is the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Everything else is entirely optional. The reason I mentioned novels in relation to Cormyr is due to the Cormyr trilogy, which changed Cormyr quite a bit. Azoun IV died, for instance. Now, these changes are mentioned in the FRCS, but a proper Cormyr sourcebook would help detail those changes some more, going into greater depth then possible in the FRCS. That's what I'd want.

A new setting is not a bad idea. Just don't kill the Realms to get it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads