D&D General Keys from the Golden Vault look through.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So to no one in particular. Here is what WotC has said about Lawful Good.

5e: "Lawful good (LG) creatures can be counted on to do the right thing as expected by society."

So not a lot, but nothing there about having to respect or follow laws.

4e: "you’re lawful good, you respect the authority of personal codes of conduct, laws, and leaders, and you believe that those codes are the best way of achieving your ideals. Just authority promotes the well-being of its subjects and prevents them from harming one another. Lawful good characters believe just as strongly as good ones do in the value of life, and they put even more emphasis on the need for the powerful
to protect the weak and lift up the downtrodden. The exemplars of the lawful good alignment are shining champions of what’s right, honorable, and true, risking or even sacrificing their lives to stop the spread of evil in the world.

You are not only capable of challenging such injustice, but morally bound to do so. However, you would prefer to work within the system to right such problems rather than resorting to more rebellious and lawless methods."

Quite a bit more, along with a preference(not requirement) to work within the system rather than using lawless methods. So LG can use lawless methods when necessary.

3e: "Lawful Good, “Crusader”: A lawful good character acts as a good person is expected or required to act. She combines a commitment
to oppose evil with the discipline to fight relentlessly. She tells the truth, keeps her word, helps those in need, and speaks out against injustice. A lawful good character hates to see the guilty go unpunished."

Nothing at all there about laws at all. Let's look at lawful.

"Lawful characters tell the truth, keep their word, respect authority, honor tradition, and judge those who fall short of their duties."

Still nothing.

Let's look at lawful neutral since that's all about lawful.

"Lawful Neutral, “Judge”: A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs her. Order and organization are paramount to her. She may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or she may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government."

Here we go! There are lots of different ways to be lawful and the good axis doesn't concern itself with laws. So LG can involve personal codes, traditions OR laws, but following laws is not required to be lawful.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In my game, I have alignment but it's just a very vague frame of reference and it barely has any weight.
In my game the main weight alignment has is on the DM side of things. I don't have the time or desire to figure out complex personalities or even a few quirks for the vast majority of NPCs(which includes monsters) that the party will encounter. If they go to the baker or face off against a hill giant, alignment is a very quick shorthand way for me to decide how I will be roleplaying that NPC. For important NPCs I will create more complex personalities, and for middling NPCs I will assign alignment and some personality quirks.

On the player side of things I couldn't care less what they do with alignment. They can write down LG, CG, BBEG or even nothing at all. They decide how to roleplay their characters and the world reacts to what they say and do.
I was incorrect on the RAW interpretation (I forgot that was changed) which in itself was always jumping off an earlier note about the Golden Vault's alignment
On this nothing changed. Even as far back as 1e the rules allowed for individuals or small groups of creatures that were of an alignment other than what was listed for them in the books if the DM so desired. You could have a NG or LE gold dragon if you wanted.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Overall, on topic, which, ugh.....

I think this is a very well written book. It isn't perfect, but I'm glad I own it. I'm much more likely to use most of it than most books I buy. I'm willing to answer specific questions (on the tiny chance anyone interested in the book hasn't given up after the last five pages of the same arguments we get from the same people every thread).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Guys, I have opted out of this thread after explaining my point of view and wishing you guys who like the book the best.

Please stop inventing strawmen about my opinions and then mocking me for those strawmen. You are allowed to find this book works for you and I am allowed to feel it doesn't meet what I would have wanted for it.

Talk about the book instead of people who are not interested in further derailing this thread.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Overall, on topic, which, ugh.....

I think this is a very well written book. It isn't perfect, but I'm glad I own it. I'm much more likely to use most of it than most books I buy. I'm willing to answer specific questions (on the tiny chance anyone interested in the book hasn't given up after the last five pages of the same arguments we get from the same people every thread).
Any new equipment or magical items?

Remove ads