Khorvarian Days & Knights [IC]

Zweischneid

First Post
'A busy day it must have been.'
Lynx snarls as he trails behind Kolarred and Zook, trying to make sense of the roadtracks.

'Can't be older than today, with all the rain I suppose.'
he finally guesses, turning again towards the stable and catching up with his companions.

'Oh, and I doubt Cariosa will join us here in this rain, especially after I pinched her fur.'
the shifter explains to Zook.

'She's quite proud and vain. And by far prefers the carpeted libraries of Morgrave to this dark and muddy road.'

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Sir Kolarred grasps the two handles on the double doors ot the stables, while Lynx and Zook look on. From their two positions further away, both Lyran and Tyler witness the paladin move up to the doors and grab the handles.

Sir Kolarred looks up with his eyes closed, and mumbles a quick prayer, before pulling his arms towards himself...

...and they don't budge.

Tilting his head as he wonders what is going on, he grips the handles even harder and tries to put more force on his pull to open the doors. But again, not only do the doors not open, they don't even seem to move. Kolarred can tell that the doors aren't just barred from the inside, because the wood is structurely weak enough that there would be a little give to them as he pulled if they were... but these doors have no give to them whatsoever.

Lynx sees this and takes stock of the aura he saw earlier...

((Knowledge Arcana [3] + 5 = 8 / DC 8))

...and theorizes that the ward on the door is perhaps a locking spell.

However, the noise of the three party members outside plus the attempt to get into the doors has caused a reaction from within the stable. The muffled groaning/mumbling becomes more excited, and within three seconds you hear a *thump* against the door of the stable. The mumbling and thumping continues and becomes more incessant.

Tor L'Tha

First Post
Zweischneid said:
'Oh, and I doubt Cariosa will join us here in this rain, especially after I pinched her fur.'
the shifter explains to Zook.

'She's quite proud and vain. And by far prefers the carpeted libraries of Morgrave to this dark and muddy road.'

Oh, just like my grlfriend.... *smiles*

Zook will place himself diagonal to the door Kolarred intents to open, hide as good as he can,and loading his bow.
Zook sees that Kolarrded cant open the doors and hears the noise from inside. Dammit it must be a beter way. Zook follows the left side of the stable and looks for a crack in the wall or a window to peek inside.

ooc: point blank shot; rapid shot; Hide [6] +9=15; Search [15] +8=23

Last edited:

DarkMaster

First Post
Koralled tells the others "Someone really don't want, whatever is inside to get out. I suggest we investigate the Waystation to gather more clue on the content of this barn before opening it.

Koralled focus on the barn to see if he detects evil coming from inside. He will then heads towards the waystation to meet with the others and shares his findings.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Lyren, staying alert and watching all the activity turns to Kolarred and says

"I will stay out here and watch the barn...if anything gets out, you'll know it. Likewise, if any trouble happens on the inside, let me know and I'll come to the recue"

Lyren takes up an easy stance, eyes locked on the doors of the barn, shield at ready, in hand, and one hand free for spellcasting.

Zweischneid

First Post
Lynx leans himself fully against the stable-doors, his tufted ear pressed against the door.
((Listen d20(8)+7= 15))

'There are tracks of wagons and horses coming from this barn and heading towards the road to Vedykar.'
Lynx explains in hushed tones after listening to the commotion inside.

'It could of course be just the regular traffic of people using this waystation.'
the shifter mumbles, more to himself than anyone else.
'And maybe the noises inside are merely the horses, spooked by the rainstorm.'

Someone really don't want, whatever is inside to get out. I suggest we investigate the Waystation to gather more clue on the content of this barn before opening it.

Feeling exposed and vulnerable at the stabledoor with the armored Knight heading for the Waystation and Zook vanishing in the shadows, Lynx dashes around the corner to find a more shaded (and dry) corner to hide. From there, Lynx briefly closes his eyes and quests out along the empathic link with Cariosa, trying to discern his familiars rough location. ((likely/hopefully the Waystation))

As the mailed knight walks toward the building, the shifter feels himself into the cats mind, trying to discern if anything scared or threatend the smart familiar.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Before walking back to the waystation, Sir Kolarred takes a few moments to stand in front of the doors of the stable to discern any evil presence inside. He quickly comes to the conclusion that there is none. He then turns and begins walking back to Lyren at the waystation's front door... leaving Lynx and Zook behind at the stable.

DarkMaster said:
'Someone really don't want, whatever is inside to get out. I suggest we investigate the Waystation to gather more clue on the content of this barn before opening it.'

As the paladin approaches him, Lyren takes a quick look once more to the front door of the waystation and decides that the noise they have heard by the stable is more of a concern than the lack of noise inside the building. Thus he swaps positions with Sir Kolarred and he himself starts walking back to the stable.

ShaggySpellsword said:
'I will stay out here and watch the barn...if anything gets out, you'll know it. Likewise, if any trouble happens on the inside, let me know and I'll come to the recue'

Sir Kolarred nods and smiles to the cleric as they walk past each other.

In the meantime, Zook has an arrow nocked and is prepare to shoot anything and everything that might come blasting it's way out of the stable. As he sees Sir Kolarred move away back towards the waystation, the changeling moves around to the left, looking for a window or a crack in the walls, or any other way to get in to the barn without trying to break through the spelled double doors.

For some reason, Lynx feels uncomfortable with the whole situation... something doesn't seem right to him. So on an impulse, he leans forward and places his ear against the door of the stable...

**THUMP THUMP THUMP**
**MMMMMNNNN!!! MMMNNNHHH!!!**

...the sound of the thumping at the base of the door continues even harder, and the muffled groan goes up in volume and octave.

((Sense Motive [18] + 1 = 19))

Lynx definitely gets the impression that whomever is inside is panicky, and is trying to get the attention of whomever is outside. This isn't a horse, or any sort of animal... it sounds like somebody who is gagged and is trying their best to scream for help. The thumping is probably a series of kicks at the base of the door as well.

Lyren runs over to him and the two exchange glances... neither one sure what they should do. The shifter lets his mind wander out to find Cariosa... and he quickly links up with the cat. The cat is at the back of the stables, sniffing at the base of the back wall. Zook comes around the corner, having not found any windows or ways in from the left side... and moves up to the small cat. There he sees that a few of the baseboards of the back wall of the stable are cracked and splintered... and probably removeable if he were to grab and pull. Lynx senses through the cat that there's a way in to the barn from the back.

Sir Kolarred arrives at the front door of the waystation, grabs the door knob and pulls it open easily. He strides in and sees pretty much the same situation that Zook saw when he glanced through the window... except that the countertop that divided the room in half is actually the front desk of the waystation. Behind it on the wall are some shelves, and the room continues on straight ahead further into the station, leading to a pair of doors straight ahead, plus a staircase on the right heading up to the second floor. Another few candles have burned down to almost nothing further into the room, and while there is light, it is still rather dim. He stops to listen, but hears nothing. Everything appears to be in order from his vantage point in the doorway... there's just nobody around.

Tyler Du'Orien has maintained a vigiliant watch on the path, but has not heard hide nor hair of anyone nor anything. As Sir Kolarred moves into the waystation by himself, the warrior wonders if perhaps he shouldn't let the paladin enter the building alone.

Last edited:

DarkMaster

First Post
Kolarred will open the doors relying on his shield, sword and faith to protect him.

OOC Kolarred was under the impression that there was a beast inside, would he have known that it was someone gagged he would have done everything possible to save him/her/it.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
OOC: DarkMaster (and everyone), the noise in the stables was a situation where you could make your own rolls to determine specificity in what I wrote out generally for everyone. I wrote out some basic info regarding the noise inside that everyone around the barn could hear, but it was only after Lynx made a specific attempt to Listen (and got a high enough roll) that I then gave him a Sense Motive check (which he succeeded at). Thus he got more specific information and was able to deduce what the noises inside actually were. Had he failed the Listen check, or had the Sense Motive check been less successful, less information about the noise inside would have been given.

As one who often feels when playing D&D that my DMs never use Skills enough, I'm trying to make much of the info you get come off of skill checks. Thus, I'll be giving you folks some general info from invisible spot and listen checks, but if you want more specific info and details, you'll need to say what you're doing and show me your rolls. As another example... Lynx has seen footprints and wagon tracks in the mud, but it won't be until he states that he wants to analyze them further (making a Search check and using his Track feat) that I'll give any more specific info about them.

So the best advice I can give to everyone is that if you want some more specific info about something I've written, put an applicable skill check roll in your roleplay and based on how you succeed or fail will determine what more info I give you. :)

Hope this helps! Thanx much guys! You've been awesome thus far!

Last edited:

Remove ads